7 Months Before 1L...what are we doing? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Re: 7 Months Before 1L...what are we doing?

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 am

ToadGoDead wrote:
luckyjd wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:sitting in the airport in Hanoi, Vietnam
For 7 months?
hell no! vietnam is cool but not that cool... traveling SE Asia in general, off to singapore in feb then who knows... if anyone wants to travel, it is very cheap here in South East Asia
Might have to PM you. I'm off to South America, but then Japan, China, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar (check the state department consular sheet before you call me crazy) and the like.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 am

I work in a blood-testing lab for a bio-tech company. So, I'll very likely continue that right up until I need to move nearer to campus.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 am

Bedsole wrote:I work in a blood-testing lab for a bio-tech company. So, I'll very likely continue that right up until I need to move nearer to campus.
Or until your company creates a virus that turns humans into zombies.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:00 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
Bedsole wrote:I work in a blood-testing lab for a bio-tech company. So, I'll very likely continue that right up until I need to move nearer to campus.
Or until your company creates a virus that turns humans into zombies.
Haha. We're actually anti-virus, really. If we do though, I suppose I'll be in charge of getting ground zero back in order.
In fact, that's what I spend 8 hours a day doing... making sure there aren't any viruses. My company makes protein therapeutics for people with rare, usually autoimmune, diseases and conditions.

ToadGoDead

Bronze

Post by ToadGoDead » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:08 am

lawschooliseasy wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:
luckyjd wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:sitting in the airport in Hanoi, Vietnam
For 7 months?
hell no! vietnam is cool but not that cool... traveling SE Asia in general, off to singapore in feb then who knows... if anyone wants to travel, it is very cheap here in South East Asia
Might have to PM you. I'm off to South America, but then Japan, China, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar (check the state department consular sheet before you call me crazy) and the like.
i am going to myanmar in the next couple of months as well... i have met a bunch of people that went and thought it was the best country among the region... pm me and we might be able to meet up if our schedules cross...

def. go to thailand, awesome country and im off to singapore in the middle of feb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 am

ToadGoDead wrote:i am going to myanmar in the next couple of months as well... i have met a bunch of people that went and thought it was the best country among the region... pm me and we might be able to meet up if our schedules cross...

def. go to thailand, awesome country and im off to singapore in the middle of feb.
It seems like travelling to Myanmar is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. But um, good luck

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:11 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
ToadGoDead wrote:i am going to myanmar in the next couple of months as well... i have met a bunch of people that went and thought it was the best country among the region... pm me and we might be able to meet up if our schedules cross...

It seems like travelling to Myanmar is a bad idea for a multitude of reasons. But um, good luck
Read State Department briefing FAIL. Its significantly safer than Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc. (for American citizens). They even let that nutcase that swam across the lake go...

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 pm

are these personal loans from banks people are getting to travel? student loans aren't available before enrolling. Do banks still give out personal loans?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

Read State Department briefing FAIL. Its significantly safer than Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, etc. (for American citizens). They even let that nutcase that swam across the lake go...
I was really thinking more about a brutal, repressive regime benefiting from the money you'll inject into the Burmese economy, and as a secondary concern, some functionary maybe thinking you're a journalist and tossing you into a cell until the whole thing gets sorted out. But why worry about the details?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:23 pm

Visiting a couple friends around the country before selling my freedom.

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Well, until May (when my husband finishes his Calc 2 class in community college) I'll be working the same job I've had since UG for 40hrs/week and figuring out where I'm going to school and how I will make that happen. Won't know where I'm going to law school until March, when Hastings says they'll make a decision since I'm on the EC waitlist through 3/15/10.

So I will either:
A. Quit my job, move back to SD this summer, help my husband find a new job and start at USD or Cal Western in the fall semester and get either partial (USD) or full (Cal Western) scholly.
B. Renew the lease on our apartment, quit my job in July or early August and maybe take a vacation to see my family, go to Hastings in the fall semester and pay sticker.

I wish I had enough money to take some kind of vacation!! I live paycheck to paycheck.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:45 pm

Im gonna get the Harvard Classics and read through them

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:50 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:

I was really thinking more about a brutal, repressive regime benefiting from the money you'll inject into the Burmese economy, and as a secondary concern, some functionary maybe thinking you're a journalist and tossing you into a cell until the whole thing gets sorted out. But why worry about the details?
Lol. You're morally assaulting me for spending a few hundred bucks in Burma? Do you pay taxes? How do you feel about the Iraq War? Do you buy stuff from Walmart (the majority of which comes from China, which actively funds the Burmese government)? Drive often? What're your feelings on Big Oil (which exploited the shit out of Burma for the first half of the 20th century, contributing to the mess it is today)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 pm

1) Finishing UG
2) Bought a Beagle Puppy. Housebreaking/training her now so it'll be easier once I'm in LS :D
3) Finding a summer job
4) Visiting the campus of my top choices

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:25 pm

work
finish masters
stock up on good wine and scotch
brew at least 4-5 kegs of beer
practice my pastry baking
[strike]run a half marathon[/strike] swim
remind myself daily how great my wife is for putting up with me
[strike]Drink at PX in Alexandria, VA (as many times as financially possible)
Finish reading Proust's "In Search of Lost Time"[/strike] Read E&E's

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:27 pm

HERetICal wrote: Drink at PX in Alexandria, VA (as many times as financially possible)
I don't know how I missed that before, but that place is awesome.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:37 pm

1. Work at my lowly retail job
2. Save money for my seat deposit, apartment reservation, and school visits
3. Volunteer with the ACLU
4. Enjoy the social life I never had in UG
5. Visit Minnesota, Iowa, and San Diego
6. Read science fiction novels

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:37 pm

Quitting my job in April/May, moving to Indonesia for a few months (Bandung), traveling a bit around Asia (especially to Myanmar I havent been there yet). The only concern I have about Myanmar is no ATMs, how are you supposed to predict how much cash you are gonna need for your whole trip??

WrappedUpInBooks

Bronze

Post by WrappedUpInBooks » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 pm

Working
Saving $$
Training for 1/2 Marathon
Reading things I actually want to read

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:50 pm

1) Perform my senior recital.
2) Present an English thesis.
3) Figure out where I'm going for law school (Hopefully this can be done within the next month)
4) Find an apartment that my boyfriend and I can afford where I'm going
5) Break the news to my parents that my boyfriend and I are planning to live together in the fall.
6) Finish reading "The Golden Notebook" and "Clarissa"
7) Get an internship and save beaucoup d'argent.
8) Get packing.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:55 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:Lol. You're morally assaulting me for spending a few hundred bucks in Burma? Do you pay taxes? How do you feel about the Iraq War? Do you buy stuff from Walmart (the majority of which comes from China, which actively funds the Burmese government)? Drive often? What're your feelings on Big Oil (which exploited the shit out of Burma for the first half of the 20th century, contributing to the mess it is today)?
Dude, chill. I said it seems like a bad idea. Take a breath. Now let it out. Feel better?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:02 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:Lol. You're morally assaulting me for spending a few hundred bucks in Burma? Do you pay taxes? How do you feel about the Iraq War? Do you buy stuff from Walmart (the majority of which comes from China, which actively funds the Burmese government)? Drive often? What're your feelings on Big Oil (which exploited the shit out of Burma for the first half of the 20th century, contributing to the mess it is today)?
Dude, chill. I said it seems like a bad idea. Take a breath. Now let it out. Feel better?
No. I still claim the intellectual high ground.

...kidding.

And where did you get your tar? Its fucking hilarious.

SunDevil21

New

Post by SunDevil21 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:15 pm

Quick question...

For those of you who plan on working between now and the beginning of law school next fall, are you going to try and find a job at a firm (clerk, etc.) to gain some experience going into law school, or is this a pointless idea? I am moving back to Arizona in a few weeks until fall and am torn between finding a job to gain some experience in the legal field, or to grab a job as a lifeguard and get tan for the next 7 months (or whatever job will pay me the most $$$)....ideas?

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:23 pm

1.) Figure out where I'm going to law school in the fall
2.) Look for an apartment in city of law school
3.) Find a summer job
4.) Enjoy time with friends/family before the big move
5.) Work out
6.) Travel?

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:57 pm

SunDevil21 wrote:Quick question...

For those of you who plan on working between now and the beginning of law school next fall, are you going to try and find a job at a firm (clerk, etc.) to gain some experience going into law school, or is this a pointless idea? I am moving back to Arizona in a few weeks until fall and am torn between finding a job to gain some experience in the legal field, or to grab a job as a lifeguard and get tan for the next 7 months (or whatever job will pay me the most $$$)....ideas?
Experience cannot hurt.

BUT you will be spending a lot of time speaking legalese in law school. Maybe lifeguarding and tanning might not be a bad idea. You'd feel relaxed and prepared for law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”