Fears about Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

rayiner wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I get the impression that all women in law school are already in long-term relationships. Don't really have my hopes up or anything. I'm not sure I'll have enough of a life to do anything significant outside of school either. *shrug*


If you study efficiently (ie: don't dick around) you should have plenty of time for outside activities.

Also, the pastures are a lot greener outside the law school anyway...


Well, my friends in professional school seem to imply that a lot of their activity ends up being really insular, so I wasn't sure how much true free time is available. From what I've heard, the workload doesn't seem insanely bad though, so I'm still optimistic about getting out there and meeting other people.

elsboiler
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby elsboiler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Rayiner is right-- if you can use your time efficiently you will be fine. The work ethic is absolutely contagious, and, EVERYONE feels that they may not be able to keep up with their classmates in the beginning. I think what really separates people are the ones who can keep a steady pace throughout the semester and those who leave everything until crunch time.
Last edited by elsboiler on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chichaca
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 am

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby Chichaca » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm afraid of going $200,000 in debt, not doing well, and not being able to pay it off. I'm also afraid of not liking law but being stuck with it because of the debt.

That said, though, I think I'll like it, and I think I'll do well. But that shadow of a doubt haunts me.

reasonabledoubt wrote:I'm afraid I'll know more about certain things than my professors due to extensive private sector experience which may make them resent me.


Flame?

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Chichaca wrote:I'm afraid of going $200,000 in debt, not doing well, and not being able to pay it off. I'm also afraid of not liking law but being stuck with it because of the debt.

That said, though, I think I'll like it, and I think I'll do well. But that shadow of a doubt haunts me.


+1

Feel the same way, although my debt shouldn't run that high.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:25 pm

my friends all say they have time for other, fun, non-law school things but that dating people in your class is just a bad idea. it gets real awkward, real fast.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby rayiner » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I get the impression that all women in law school are already in long-term relationships. Don't really have my hopes up or anything. I'm not sure I'll have enough of a life to do anything significant outside of school either. *shrug*


If you study efficiently (ie: don't dick around) you should have plenty of time for outside activities.

Also, the pastures are a lot greener outside the law school anyway...


Well, my friends in professional school seem to imply that a lot of their activity ends up being really insular, so I wasn't sure how much true free time is available. From what I've heard, the workload doesn't seem insanely bad though, so I'm still optimistic about getting out there and meeting other people.


It ends up being insular, in that you tend to spend most of your time with your law school friends (unless you have friends in the city going in), but you have reasonable free time to do outside things if you want to. Eg: first two weeks of this semester I was drunk more nights than I wasn't. :lol:

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm petrified of taking more than one class at a time. My UG is on the block plan (one class for 4 weeks, a 5 day break, then start a brand new class). I've literally never had to juggle multiple classes.

User avatar
iShotFirst
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:13 am

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Losing scholarship after first year...

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Kretzy wrote:I'm petrified of taking more than one class at a time. My UG is on the block plan (one class for 4 weeks, a 5 day break, then start a brand new class). I've literally never had to juggle multiple classes.


You were home schooled?

elsboiler
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby elsboiler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I get the impression that all women in law school are already in long-term relationships. Don't really have my hopes up or anything. I'm not sure I'll have enough of a life to do anything significant outside of school either. *shrug*


If you study efficiently (ie: don't dick around) you should have plenty of time for outside activities.

Also, the pastures are a lot greener outside the law school anyway...


Well, my friends in professional school seem to imply that a lot of their activity ends up being really insular, so I wasn't sure how much true free time is available. From what I've heard, the workload doesn't seem insanely bad though, so I'm still optimistic about getting out there and meeting other people.


It ends up being insular, in that you tend to spend most of your time with your law school friends (unless you have friends in the city going in), but you have reasonable free time to do outside things if you want to. Eg: first two weeks of this semester I was drunk more nights than I wasn't. :lol:


+ 1 thank you chicago and law school.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I'm petrified of taking more than one class at a time. My UG is on the block plan (one class for 4 weeks, a 5 day break, then start a brand new class). I've literally never had to juggle multiple classes.


You were home schooled?


My high school (terrible, military-heavy public) doesn't count. We were on a modified block system there as well, but more importantly, I never studied.

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby Zapatero » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm

debtdebtdebt

amichig
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby amichig » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Terrified of being called on and having nothing to say...

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7237
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:35 pm

That once I "figure it out" I'll stop trying so hard, and my grades/attendance will start to suffer.

User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Like many people here I have never really had to study to do well. Cramming right before a test was always good enough to get a low A, in high school and undergrad. I'm worried that my basic study skills will not be up to par, which will result in losing of scholarship, which will result in bad job prospects.

WhyBother?
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby WhyBother? » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm

I am a little concerned about the social aspect. My friends are all in the NYC area, and it's unlikely I'll end up there. I'm also single, and while I am not of a specific mission not to be, I don't intend to be forever. But look at it this way: If several people on this thread have already expressed concerns about the social aspect of law school, then there will likely be other people at whatever school you go to that are open to hang out and do non-law related things. Sure, it can be awkward to go through that whole first-day-of-school thing as an adult, but a bunch of smart people should be able to figure it out.

User avatar
chicoalto0649
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:42 pm

That undergrad chicks at my law school are not attractive/not into law school folk....o well there's always soriority chicks- they seem like climbers

User avatar
taw856
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby taw856 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm

I dunno that I'm really that afraid of law school itself. As a Dec. LSAT taker, definitely still nervous about where I'll end up since I have a bunch of schools to hear from, but if it works out right I should have some friends from undergrad around. And as a splitter, maybe a little nervous about my study habits, but I think I'm more mature than when I "earned" my GPA the first time around.

But really, I'm most nervous about the job market three years from now -- which is a calculated bet on my part as someone coming from an industry (print journalism) under an even greater existential threat than law. I'm thinking I improve my chances to not live paycheck-to-paycheck in the boonies, but obviously there are plenty of stories of people being crushed by debt, so fingers crossed.

If nothing else, I'm genuinely more interested in law than (insert irrelevant community news here).

itsfine
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:07 am

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby itsfine » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm

That if I go to the best school I can, and therefore most probably assuming ALOTOFDEBT, that i won't do well enough to get a good enough job to bail me out.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby holborn » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:46 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Like many people here I have never really had to study to do well. Cramming right before a test was always good enough to get a low A, in high school and undergrad. I'm worried that my basic study skills will not be up to par, which will result in losing of scholarship, which will result in bad job prospects.


+1. I have literally no study skills. And now ill have to develop them while in a very intense and stressful situation. maybe the fear will help?

User avatar
iamtaw
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby iamtaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 pm

i'll suck at it and all the other kids will laugh at me and not sit with me during lunch :( :cry:

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby sapp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Chichaca wrote:I'm afraid of going $200,000 in debt, not doing well, and not being able to pay it off.



^ This.

And I'm afraid of missing the sun. I've been in CA my whole life and almost every school I've applied to is on the east coast/midwest. But from what I hear I wouldn't know it was there even if I stayed in CA for at least the first semester.

clwilson6
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby clwilson6 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:53 pm

I'm afraid that the gunner sitting right next to me will piss me off so bad, I bitchslap him and end up expelled from school.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:54 pm

julesm2200 wrote:That I'll be dumber than everyone in my class.


That I'll be lazier than everyone in my class.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:56 pm

rayiner wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I get the impression that all women in law school are already in long-term relationships. Don't really have my hopes up or anything. I'm not sure I'll have enough of a life to do anything significant outside of school either. *shrug*


If you study efficiently (ie: don't dick around) you should have plenty of time for outside activities.

Also, the pastures are a lot greener outside the law school anyway...


TCR is northwestern memorial nurses. Hot, caring, have their own money, aren't stupid, but aren't full of themselves.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests