Fears about Law School

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
ashleighlauren

Re: Fears about Law School

Postby ashleighlauren » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:24 pm

1. That people will think I am too young/naive to be in law school and will not take me seriously. (finishing my undergrad in 3 yrs instead of 4, then going straight to ls). Plus, I'm blonde. I am terrified of Legally Blonde jokes during my 1L haha.

2. That the intense workload will prevent me from working out at least three times a week to keep my sanity.

3. That my relationship of almost 4 yrs will end because i won't have time.

4. That I will fail- I have had to work very hard in some classes to get my A's and I'm afraid of how much I will have to study just to stay in the average range.

5. That after getting my JD, I'll change my mind and become a bartender on some tropical island.

ughhh I just want it to be worth it!

MTaylor25

Postby MTaylor25 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 am

My main fear is that my horrible grades from my JC several years ago will prevent me from getting into some schools of choice, regardless of what the rest of my application looks like. Although I have a 3.5 the last two years and a 3.8 at my university, my overall lsac GPA will be WAY below the 25% percentile due to the horrific grades I received several years ago at the JC I attended. I just pray that some high ranked schools will really look at my incredible upward trend along with all of the years that I am removed from the horrible grades and give me a chance. Obviously I have to be in the 75% range with the LSAT given my GPA situation.

Looks like my fears are aimed at getting into law school more than actual law school itself lol.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 am

Everything riding on one very subjectively graded exam scares the hell out of me, and reading "Getting to Maybe" isn't helping.

kumba84

Postby kumba84 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:15 am

My biggest fear is public speaking--I even get nervous whenever I have to make a comment in front of a group at work. I'm probably going to Boalt or NYU and both their LRW classes require oral advocacy. So, I think I'm going to take a public speaking class at my local community college this summer so that I don't die of anxiety.

Also, I'm married and I'm nervous about balancing law school friends/husband. When everyone in my section goes out together, can I bring him along? We've always sort of had the same group of friends, and I'm worried about us developing separate social lives.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 am

Not passing the bar exam. After three years of law school, not passing that test would seriously make this grown man cry like Eric Cartman did when Kyle punched him lightly in the arm.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:08 pm

biv0ns wrote:I worry that I won't be on the same level as my peers, not because I don't have the capability, but because I went to Shithole State U for scholarship money and haven't had to work much for my major classes. Simply because I can write intelligently, a skill which somehow most everyone else in my major cannot do, I get A's in my major classes. It doesn't matter if I actually think I kicked ass on the paper, or if I wrote all 10 pages in 3 hours right before class. I'll get an A. I think law school is going to be a rude awakening, and I really worry I am not being prepared enough.

+1

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:29 pm

That no one will be able to get on my level, what?, get on my level, what?

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 am

biv0ns wrote:I worry that I won't be on the same level as my peers, not because I don't have the capability, but because I went to Shithole State U for scholarship money and haven't had to work much for my major classes. Simply because I can write intelligently, a skill which somehow most everyone else in my major cannot do, I get A's in my major classes. It doesn't matter if I actually think I kicked ass on the paper, or if I wrote all 10 pages in 3 hours right before class. I'll get an A. I think law school is going to be a rude awakening, and I really worry I am not being prepared enough.

Bring the testicular fortitude, work hard, and play hard. You'll come out just fine.

More of a life philosophy than a law school philosophy, but hey, I survived first semester.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:36 pm

This is another fear - I tend to get really riled up about things I'm passionate about. I can be a bit of a loose cannon, and get pissed off when someone disagrees with something that means a lot to me. I'm afraid that one day in class we might be talking about a real hot button issue and I'll say something that I regret. Like a lot of people I have a hard time not taking arguments personally. I just don't want to lose friends simply because we disagree.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 pm

scionb4 wrote:This is another fear - I tend to get really riled up about things I'm passionate about. I can be a bit of a loose cannon, and get pissed off when someone disagrees with something that means a lot to me. I'm afraid that one day in class we might be talking about a real hot button issue and I'll say something that I regret. Like a lot of people I have a hard time not taking arguments personally. I just don't want to lose friends simply because we disagree.

I know I'm Team Edward too.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Being #2 in my class

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:41 pm

julesm2200 wrote:That I'll be dumber than everyone in my class.

That's funny, I'm afraid I won't get into a good school, and I'll be smarter than everyone in my class.

Oberlion

Postby Oberlion » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Let's get serious. It's monsters. C'mon, guys.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
scionb4 wrote:This is another fear - I tend to get really riled up about things I'm passionate about. I can be a bit of a loose cannon, and get pissed off when someone disagrees with something that means a lot to me. I'm afraid that one day in class we might be talking about a real hot button issue and I'll say something that I regret. Like a lot of people I have a hard time not taking arguments personally. I just don't want to lose friends simply because we disagree.

I know I'm Team Edward too.

LMAO :lol:

washed out

Postby washed out » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

The library at my law school has very tall book shelves and I am afraid of heights.

nlmne20

Postby nlmne20 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:16 pm

I'm worried that after convincing a top tier school to let me in despite an LSAT score right in the middle of the bell curve, the test might actually measure my potential to succeed.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 pm

cellular telephones

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Everything.
Last edited by JohnV on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:52 pm

missvik218 wrote:I feel like I'm scared about everything law school related. ...

I'm scared about the amount of debt and possibility for failure
I'm scared I won't be good at law school
I'm scared I won't be a good lawyer
I'm scared I won't like being a lawyer
I'm worry because I've only ever had one real relationship, and even that was mostly a mistake more a series of lies and misunderstandings, and I'm now entering into schooling and then profession neither of which lend themselves to intimacy.

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head, there is PLENTY more where that came from.

+1.... pretty much exactly what I'm scared about the most.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Openly gay for the first time. Top that one.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm

+1000

Also afraid i am going to hate it and not want to be a lawyer. However, I was just going over the course offerings at my schools and I am so excited to take some of those classes!
Last edited by swc65 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:06 pm

swc65 wrote:

+1000

I just went to an open house and sat in some mock classes with other prospective 1L's and let's just say being dumber than everyone quickly became one of my lesser worries.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:19 am

ashleighlauren wrote:1. That people will think I am too young/naive to be in law school and will not take me seriously. (finishing my undergrad in 3 yrs instead of 4, then going straight to ls). Plus, I'm blonde. I am terrified of Legally Blonde jokes during my 1L haha.

2. That the intense workload will prevent me from working out at least three times a week to keep my sanity.

3. That my relationship of almost 4 yrs will end because i won't have time.

4. That I will fail- I have had to work very hard in some classes to get my A's and I'm afraid of how much I will have to study just to stay in the average range.

5. That after getting my JD, I'll change my mind and become a bartender on some tropical island.

ughhh I just want it to be worth it!

go do the peace corps or teach for america or some other work experience, come back, score 168+ on the lsat, and have fun at harvard. then, it will definitely be worth it. you're so young, you have all the time in the world to go to law school and there's all the sense in the world to put your hardcore gpa to excellent use.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am

Accepting the full ride Detroit Mercy offered me today...

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am

law school is going to have lots of people (like me) who argue just for the sake of arguing -- pick a side and run with it. then switch for shits and giggles. and at the end of the day go home and not give it another thought. just remember, it really isn't personal.

Return to “Law School FAQ”