Fears about Law School Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

Diamond

Re: Fears about Law School

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:52 pm

AliceB wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote: Its about how the market is saturated with newly minted lawyers and most of them got stuck sweeping floor for MacDonald or Burger King with over $100k in debt.
I get that, but it's not like the bad economy is specifically picking on law grads or the legal industry. It's hitting everyone pretty hard. If we aren't out of this recession by the time we all graduate, there are going to be bigger problems than not getting a cushy big law job.
But law students have large amounts of debts (on average at least), and the first firm you work for decides your fate, at least for big law.

If you can't find a job in accounting right off the bat, you aren't forever ruined. In law its like that.

Its more like graduating med school and not finding a residency. You may be a doctor but nobody will hire you. Except it happens to most law students.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:57 pm

AliceB wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote: Its about how the market is saturated with newly minted lawyers and most of them got stuck sweeping floor for MacDonald or Burger King with over $100k in debt.
I get that, but it's not like the bad economy is specifically picking on law grads or the legal industry. It's hitting everyone pretty hard. If we aren't out of this recession by the time we all graduate, there are going to be bigger problems than not getting a cushy big law job.
The way I see it, in 2013 either the economy will be recovering/recovered or we will be going at it Mad Max style. That way, either I can deal with my debt load or it won't matter because I will be trading KFC wet naps and zippo lighters to get my iPod recharged.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:19 pm

I am worried about my writing skills. I have been a techie for a long time, and went to an undergraduate institution that let me way overspecialize in engineering. Most people say my writing is clear and concise but unsophisticated and casual. I need to work on that :P

I am also worried that my engineering background will pigeonhole me unwillingly into IP law. It is obviously a great option but I am not deadset on it for now. Maybe I will be when I realize that the job opportunities are better :wink:

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:33 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:The way I see it, in 2013 either the economy will be recovering/recovered or we will be going at it Mad Max style.
THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!!!!!!!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 pm

That the economy isn't going to turn around until far after we graduate, and that I'm an idiot for ignoring all the economists predictions (recent predictions are pointing to almost 3 years until unemployment starts to significantly turn around). Normally, it wouldn't matter because schooling is usually a smart way to wait out the economy, but the legal market was already saturated.

Ugh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 pm

that no one will like me

or that i wont like anyone and will be an old curmudgeon by 27

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:33 pm

ughOSU wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:The way I see it, in 2013 either the economy will be recovering/recovered or we will be going at it Mad Max style.
THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND!!!!!!!
Bah, the fuzzy, middle ground is boring. :lol:

heathbar88

New

Post by heathbar88 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:33 pm

heyguys wrote:
nixxers wrote:let us all share what we are nervous about, so we can make each other feel better.

Or laugh at each other :P

I'll go first!

I love my friends at college and I'm scared I won't make as many or as close friends in LS... probably irrational, but it is what it is :P
heathbar88 wrote:
lightbulb1986 wrote:1) that i wont fit in.... :(
2) that i wont stand out... :(
+1000000
Have you guys paid any attention to the news at all lately? You guys have way bigger things to be worrying about than this bulls%^&.
I am worried about this, but I figure that's a given.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I am fearful that:

1) I won't be a good lawyer
2) I won't like being a lawyer
3) I will be poor in law school
4) I will have wasted 3 years of my life and a lot of money and put my career back significantly.

The good thing is, I don't make decisions based on fear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:09 pm

adameus wrote:The good thing is, I don't make decisions based on fear.
That can be a bad thing if all your fears are realized

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm

ughOSU wrote:
Yes. Like if you're afraid of bears, but you decide to explore a bear cave anyway because you don't make decisions based on fear, and a bear happens to attack you. That's one example.

T_Easy

New

Post by T_Easy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:22 pm

I am confident in the economy's ability to revive itself, hopefully enough by the time I graduate in 2013. I am also confident in my academic abilities.

My worries are social. Because I'm an AA male, I'm apprehensive about how my social scene at a southern flagship state law school is going to be. I've got along with and dated all races and cultures growing up, but it will be interesting to see how this will work on this level.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:30 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
Yes. Like if you're afraid of bears, but you decide to explore a bear cave anyway because you don't make decisions based on fear, and a bear happens to attack you. That's one example.
When it comes to bears, I might let fear influence my decision.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wadeny

Bronze

Post by wadeny » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, if anyone is too afraid to go to law school, they can just take the $100k+ they were going to spend and just head to Vegas. It's pretty much the same thing: you're making a huge gamble and the odds are stacked against you. At least this way, you can figure out your fate in a matter of minutes rather than stressing over it for several years.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 pm

wadeny wrote:Well, if anyone is too afraid to go to law school, they can just take the $100k+ they were going to spend and just head to Vegas. It's pretty much the same thing: you're making a huge gamble and the odds are stacked against you. At least this way, you can figure out your fate in a matter of minutes rather than stressing over it for several years.
Good plan.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm afraid I will be surrounded by dbags, and so I won't feel special anymore

also,
bears
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:That I'll be dumber than everyone in my class.
+1 There are too many smart people in law school. :shock:
All the smart people quietly spread around the non-filtered world will suddenly all be in one room trying to best me on the curve.

...My kids will be faint memories.
...Date nights with my husband will eerily resemble the inside of a library.
...That I'll be older than every other law student within 100 miles and thus will be ostracized.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:42 pm

that i won't have the balls and the grades to do the high-end PI work I really want to do, and will end up getting suckerpunched into a firm, and then will get used to the lifestyle and will claim "i just can't get out of it" and will die when i'm 38 from congestive heart failure from too many years sitting slumped over a desk and not breathing enough.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:43 pm

finding a good group of people to hang out with when im not absorbed in studying (which i'm looking forward to a little).. also getting fat (not trying to be funny, but i really hope i can find an hour-2 everyday to stay in shape)

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I won't be 21 yet when start school so I'm worried I'll feel super left out of social things at the beginning :(

I'm worried that I will have tons of debt and not get a job.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:36 pm

eandy wrote:I won't be 21 yet when start school so I'm worried I'll feel super left out of social things at the beginning :(

what's your story?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:54 pm

I feel like I'm scared about everything law school related. ...

I'm scared about the amount of debt and possibility for failure
I'm scared I won't be good at law school
I'm scared I won't be a good lawyer
I'm scared I won't like being a lawyer
I'm worry because I've only ever had one real relationship, and even that was mostly a mistake more a series of lies and misunderstandings, and I'm now entering into schooling and then profession neither of which lend themselves to intimacy.

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head, there is PLENTY more where that came from.

Bruin2009

New

Post by Bruin2009 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:10 pm

i am scared because i am the least competitive person I know...

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Borhas wrote:
eandy wrote:I won't be 21 yet when start school so I'm worried I'll feel super left out of social things at the beginning :(

what's your story?
If you mean why I won't be 21, it is because I have a late birthday, and I started college with 34 hrs of credit from APs.

grifter

New

Post by grifter » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Not typing fast enough on the exams

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”