GPA questions from an undergrad

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
theclosetnerd

GPA questions from an undergrad

Postby theclosetnerd » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks guys.
Last edited by theclosetnerd on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon

Re: GPA questions from an undergrad

Postby Aeon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 pm

theclosetnerd wrote:My prelaw advisor claims that law schools care more about overall trends in your GPA. My first semester was not so hot but my second and third semester were both very successful. My GPA is now around a 3.7 but my second semester was a low 3 due to a difficult microeconomic theory class. Do you think the C in that microeconomic theory class will kill any chances I have of getting into T5? I am now a UG junior. I know that LSATs are a great part of the application process and so far on mockexams, I've been doing 170+. I'm currently enrolled in a T10 UG school.

Let me know what you veterans think.

Admissions offices do prefer to see upward grade trends in undergrad, but it's your cumulative GPA that really counts. I'd focus on boosting that as much as you can over the next year and a half, as well as on acing the LSAT.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Aeon wrote:
theclosetnerd wrote:My prelaw advisor claims that law schools care more about overall trends in your GPA. My first semester was not so hot but my second and third semester were both very successful. My GPA is now around a 3.7 but my second semester was a low 3 due to a difficult microeconomic theory class. Do you think the C in that microeconomic theory class will kill any chances I have of getting into T5? I am now a UG junior. I know that LSATs are a great part of the application process and so far on mockexams, I've been doing 170+. I'm currently enrolled in a T10 UG school.

Let me know what you veterans think.

Admissions offices do prefer to see upward grade trends in undergrad, but it's your cumulative GPA that really counts. I'd focus on boosting that as much as you can over the next year and a half, as well as on acing the LSAT.

Right, overall upward trends are only useful when comparing to another guy with the same GPA and flat trend. Your GPA is what it is.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:34 am

use the GPA calculator at lawschoolpredictor.com to see how much that C will pull down your GPA. If it's absolutely T5 or bust and you're afraid your GPA will keep you out, put off graduation for a year and take take more classes to boost your GPA. While you're at it, you can continue to study for the LSAT.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:22 am

Upward trends help within a given GPA, but you still need to be a takable applicant. That is going to mean an exceptional LSAT (ideally as least as far above median as your GPA is below) and it may mean a decent (for the school) GPA despite the bad semester/year.

Return to “Law School FAQ”