Why are you going to law school?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

What is your primary reason for attending/applying to law school

Dream of being a lawyer
89
36%
The money
68
27%
Don't have anything else to do
43
17%
Something else (explain below)
48
19%
 
Total votes: 248

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:07 am

reasonable_man wrote:
unbeknownst wrote:I want to go through life without having to hire a lawyer. I also never want to feel like I am getting ripped off.


A lawyer that represents him/her self has a fool for a client...
Aside from that, my understanding is that most lawyers are near worthless in any practice area outside their own, and lawyers who "dabble" in lots of practice areas tend to suck at all of them. So you might be able to represent yourself OK in a personal injury case, if that's your thing, but it doesn't mean you'd want to represent yourself in a divorce.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:10 am

Aeroplane wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
unbeknownst wrote:I want to go through life without having to hire a lawyer. I also never want to feel like I am getting ripped off.


A lawyer that represents him/her self has a fool for a client...
Aside from that, my understanding is that most lawyers are near worthless in any practice area outside their own, and lawyers who "dabble" in lots of practice areas tend to suck at all of them.


As odd as it sounds, depends on where the practice is located. Rural small town and that is generally untrue. Big city, its generally right on...

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby Aeroplane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:12 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
unbeknownst wrote:I want to go through life without having to hire a lawyer. I also never want to feel like I am getting ripped off.


A lawyer that represents him/her self has a fool for a client...
Aside from that, my understanding is that most lawyers are near worthless in any practice area outside their own, and lawyers who "dabble" in lots of practice areas tend to suck at all of them.


As odd as it sounds, depends on where the practice is located. Rural small town and that is generally untrue. Big city, its generally right on...
Yeah, I'm coming from a bigger city perspective, but I've heard that distinction made before.

User avatar
asfasdagdsfawe
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:25 am

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby asfasdagdsfawe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:13 am

I'm going to law school to appease my parents. If biglaw ends up being fun, I may do it for a while. Otherwise, I'll save up some quick cash and go live in Mongolia or something. Whatever I do, I'll eventually go back to school, get a PhD in philosophy, and live under a bridge.

winokbe
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby winokbe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 am

I questioned myself on this many times before finally succumbing to the urge to apply and take the LSAT. For me was simple: I enjoy law.
I found that I loved law. I like the fact that its based on precedent, yet at the same time, open for debate and interpretation based upon the situation presented...that, and I rocked parliamentary procedure and debate back in the days of high school.

Its good money, and even if I don't end up being a practicing attorney, it looks GREAT on a resume.

It seems to me that everyone on this board is here for the same basic reasons when it really boils down to it.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Why are you going to law school?

Postby scionb4 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 am

asfasdagdsfawe wrote:I'm going to law school to appease my parents. If biglaw ends up being fun, I may do it for a while. Otherwise, I'll save up some quick cash and go live in Mongolia or something. Whatever I do, I'll eventually go back to school, get a PhD in philosophy, and live under a bridge.


Why don't you skip the schooling, buy a bunch of philosophy books, and go straight to living under a bridge?




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests