FT vs PT

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
beef wellington

FT vs PT

Postby beef wellington » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:34 am

I'm wondering about some of the pros and cons of FT vs PT programs (both generally and specifically at Georgetown, where I applied for FT only and am currently WL'ed). As I understand it 1L involves way more studying than 2L or 3L, so wouldn't it make a certain amount of sense to spread it out via a PT program?

I know at GULC you can easily transfer to FT and still finish in 3 years, and PT doesn't prevent you from doing a summer internship in DC or splitting your summer and doing one elsewhere. PT ends up costing more, but that's not a huge consideration for me since I plan on going into PI and taking advantage of the federal 10 year loan forgiveness program.

Are there any drawbacks I'm overlooking? I feel like it could greatly improve my chances of staying sane, but maybe I would be totally burnt out by the time my summer classes started?

nealric

Re: FT vs PT

Postby nealric » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:50 am

PT doesn't cost any more now. They did a readjustment last year to fix that.

The big drawback is that you have no life while you are a PT student and/or do not sleep. But it is a GREAT way to limit your debt.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:13 am

Unless you're sitting on your ass during the day, PT is a lot more strenuous. In addition to a part time class schedule, you have a job on top of that, sometimes a full 40 hr/week. You'll have to try to study for your classes around your already crammed schedule, and it can really burn you out. The plus side is that you can get valuable experience while still a student. There are many IP firms that even prefer PT students, as they work at the firm during the day, and take classes at night, making them much more competent in the field when they graduate.

If you're not planning on having a job, I'd be hesitant as an employer. It would seem to raise red flags to go into a PT program with no worthwhile reason...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't planning on working. Getting off the WL doesn't count as a "worthwhile reason" to do PT? Also, would an employer even know I had been PT for 1L if I transfer to FT?

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:42 pm

beef wellington wrote:Thanks for the replies. I wasn't planning on working. Getting off the WL doesn't count as a "worthwhile reason" to do PT? Also, would an employer even know I had been PT for 1L if I transfer to FT?

Generally it isn't explicitly noted on your transcript, but employers may notice that your 1L courseload was low or that you took summer classes (if that is how you made up the credits). I'm not sure why they would care...

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:54 pm

nahgems wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Thanks for the replies. I wasn't planning on working. Getting off the WL doesn't count as a "worthwhile reason" to do PT? Also, would an employer even know I had been PT for 1L if I transfer to FT?

Generally it isn't explicitly noted on your transcript, but employers may notice that your 1L courseload was low or that you took summer classes (if that is how you made up the credits). I'm not sure why they would care...

Maybe they wouldn't; I guess you'd have to ask those making hiring decisions. I understand the logic from an applicants standing, in that it makes it easier to get into a top school. But from the other side, doesn't it make you look bad to employers, like you weren't good enough to get in FT?

PT programs don't exist to make it easier to get your foot in the door at a school, but rather to accommodate non-traditional students who either have or would like to have day jobs or commitments. The less stringent admission requirements are just a side-effect. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against PT programs, and applied to a couple schools PT where I would have worked while attending if I chose one of those schools. But if I was doing hiring, and saw an applicant who did PT but didn't have a job or any other reason do be in the PT program, I would probably tend to think that the applicant wasn't good enough to get in normally, or couldn't handle the workload, and either would be a red flag. It may just be my opinion, but it's something to thing about...

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:15 pm

I'm really not worried about employers frowning upon PT students, nealric and other GULC students have said elsewhere that it is absolutely not an issue.

nealric, were you eligible for the usual financial aid for your summer classes?

Also, normally if I asked to be considered for PT only instead of FT only my chances of admission would go up, but if I don't have a job in DC is that still the case?

I'm also interested in any comments as to the demands of the workload in FT vs PT (2 crazy semesters vs. 2.5 less crazy semesters).

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:35 am

beef wellington wrote:I'm really not worried about employers frowning upon PT students, nealric and other GULC students have said elsewhere that it is absolutely not an issue.

Also, normally if I asked to be considered for PT only instead of FT only my chances of admission would go up, but if I don't have a job in DC is that still the case?

I'm also interested in any comments as to the demands of the workload in FT vs PT (2 crazy semesters vs. 2.5 less crazy semesters).

If you don't plan on working it's easier than FT, with fewer classes to worry about. Unless you're the type of person that will be stressed the same whether you have 2 or 3 or 4 real classes, the lighter load should more than make up for more semesters with it.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Yes, I was eligible for financial aid for my summer classes.

I can't promise it won't be an issue if you don't work. I did work. My part time status came up in the callback for the firm I eventually went to, but not on most interviews. When it did come up, it just seemed like genuine curiosity on the part of the interviewer. Most of them seemed impressed when I explained to them what I did 1L year.

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:45 pm

anyone know georgetown's pt stats? lsp has me as "consider" which seems unlikely given my 164/3.7

i can't find just their pt program's medians though.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm

nealric wrote:

Yes, I was eligible for financial aid for my summer classes.

I can't promise it won't be an issue if you don't work. I did work. My part time status came up in the callback for the firm I eventually went to, but not on most interviews. When it did come up, it just seemed like genuine curiosity on the part of the interviewer. Most of them seemed impressed when I explained to them what I did 1L year.

Thanks for the reply and for all the great info you've posted on TLS.

EastbndnDwn

Postby EastbndnDwn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm

colforbin wrote:anyone know georgetown's pt stats? lsp has me as "consider" which seems unlikely given my 164/3.7

The LSAT Medians are in US NEWS as 162-167

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

colforbin wrote:anyone know georgetown's pt stats? lsp has me as "consider" which seems unlikely given my 164/3.7

Found the 25/75s:

162/167
3.44/3.77

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 pm

thanks, can't believe i couldn't find that. maybe it was worth the application fee. looks like i've at least got a shot.

Return to “Law School FAQ”