Was the LSAT correct? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
gdane

Diamond

Was the LSAT correct?

Post by gdane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:18 pm

Last edited by gdane on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Was the LSAT correct?

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:20 pm

gdane5 wrote: My question to everyone is, was the LSAT correct in "predicting" how well you did your first year? In other words, did the LSAT do what LSAC claims it does?
You must not know what LSAC says the LSAT does.

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a friend that scored a 152 on the February 2009 LSAT. She is at the University of Miami and got near perfect grades her first semester. From what I know UM has a tough grading curve.

My question to everyone is, was the LSAT correct in "predicting" how well you did your first year? In other words, did the LSAT do what LSAC claims it does?

Did anyone that did poorly on the LSAT go on to do very well their first year and throughout law school? Did anyone with a good LSAT score do poorly?

Im sure my friend may have been an exception, but I cant help but wonder how often people do better than how the LSAT said they would.

THANKS!!
Someone has to be at the top of the class at a school filled with lower LSAT scores. It's not like she is near perfect at a school filled with 170+ scorers.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Actually I am interested in doing some data mining regarding this and am planning on preparing a report to see if there is any type of actually correlation. Hopefully I will have a actual report within 6 months. Going to depend on my time constraints (not in college anymore) and the participation those who are currently in law school.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Actually I am interested in doing some data mining regarding this and am planning on preparing a report to see if there is any type of actually correlation. Hopefully I will have a actual report within 6 months. Going to depend on my time constraints (not in college anymore) and the participation those who are currently in law school.
Data mining? What? You do realize that LSAC has done intense study and given reports freely available on their website that goes to great lengths to show the correlation between law school success and everything from the LSAT score to GPA to race?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:Actually I am interested in doing some data mining regarding this and am planning on preparing a report to see if there is any type of actually correlation. Hopefully I will have a actual report within 6 months. Going to depend on my time constraints (not in college anymore) and the participation those who are currently in law school.
Data mining? What? You do realize that LSAC has done intense study and given reports freely available on their website that goes to great lengths to show the correlation between law school success and everything from the LSAT score to GPA to race?
I do, but I want to see for my own personal curiosity.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 pm

You can read their reports for your own curiosity.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
So go read their reports.

http://members.lsac.org/Public/MainPage ... Page2.aspx

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Ok so far noone has actually answered the question.

I had one person give me a smart ass response and another one that brought up another topic.

I've read LSAC's claims about the LSAT on their website. I know what they say the LSAT is supposed to measure.

The University of Miami may not be a top 14 school, but it still has its share of bright students. Plus to have near perfect grades with as tough a curve as Miami is admirable, regardless of whether the school has lots of 170 students.

This was a simple question that noone seems to be answering...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm

mallard wrote:You can read their reports for your own curiosity.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
This should be fun.....

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:37 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
mallard wrote:You can read their reports for your own curiosity.
You must be one of those people that thinks 9/11 was an inside job and cites a professor who can't use simple kinetics equations to disprove his own theory.
Last edited by Yimbeezy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:39 pm

jlnoa0915 go for it. This would be very interesting. It doesnt hurt. I dont understand why people are getting so defensive. As if though they work for LSAC and dont want anyone to undermine their LSAT findings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm

gdane5 wrote:Ok so far noone has actually answered the question.

I had one person give me a smart ass response and another one that brought up another topic.

I've read LSAC's claims about the LSAT on their website. I know what they say the LSAT is supposed to measure.

The University of Miami may not be a top 14 school, but it still has its share of bright students. Plus to have near perfect grades with as tough a curve as Miami is admirable, regardless of whether the school has lots of 170 students.

This was a simple question that noone seems to be answering...
It probably means she didn't study, or that her "smarts" are not logic smarts. There's not really much to it. The LSAT isn't some crapshoot, it really is just one of the hardest tests out there.

GPA does not measure the same thing as LSAT, which is why both are used in admissions. I don't really understand what you're trying to get at , or if you don't really understand the LSAT at all. Have you ever taken the LSAT?

Yimbeezy

Bronze

Post by Yimbeezy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:40 pm

gdane5 wrote:jlnoa0915 go for it. This would be very interesting. It doesnt hurt. I dont understand why people are getting so defensive. As if though they work for LSAC and dont want anyone to undermine their LSAT findings.
Good luck compiling a more representative sample from people on a message board than from the ACTUAL POPULATION THAT TOOK THE LSAT.
Last edited by Yimbeezy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 pm

gdane5 wrote:jlnoa0915 go for it. This would be very interesting. It doesnt hurt. I dont understand why people are getting so defensive. As if though they work for LSAC and dont want anyone to undermine their LSAT findings.
Try again.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:41 pm

Haha

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 pm

ITT: people claim data they haven't seen has been fudged in ways they can't describe to support claims that were never made.

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have a friend that scored a 152 on the February 2009 LSAT. She is at the University of Miami and got near perfect grades her first semester. From what I know UM has a tough grading curve.

Did anyone that did poorly on the LSAT go on to do very well their first year and throughout law school?
In your post you have essentially answered your own question before you ask it.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:43 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 pm

There is actually a fairly high correlation (0.5) between LSAT scores and NY bar exam performance: http://www.nybarexam.org/press/summary.pdf

The scenario in the study is somewhat range-compressed --- people below 150 on the LSAT tend not to get into law school so they can take the bar exam. If you included the whole 120-180 range, you'd probably see a somewhat stronger correlation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm

mallard wrote:ITT: people claim data they haven't seen has been fudged in ways they can't describe to support claims that were never made.
Dude. LSAC's out to get us man, trying to pull the wool over our eyes with their .4 LSAT correlation numbers.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm

rayiner wrote:There is actually a fairly high correlation (0.5) between LSAT scores and NY bar exam performance: http://www.nybarexam.org/press/summary.pdf

The scenario in the study is somewhat range-compressed --- people below 150 on the LSAT tend not to get into law school so they can take the bar exam. If you included the whole 120-180 range, you'd probably see a somewhat stronger correlation.
Again, using info put out by the bar. Just a pawn in their little game.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:47 pm

I took the LSAT twice. I did ok the first time. I retook in December and got a 158. I prepared and did everything I could. I used the powerscore books and took 32 official PT's. So the 158 wasnt due to laziness or a lack of effort.

This question was really a simple one and yet noone has answered it.

The point of this question was to see whether or not the LSAT is all its cracked up to be. Is it a perfect science ( i dont think it is at all) and if it isnt a perfect science then why do law schools and prospective students allow themselves to be taken hostage by the LSAT?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:48 pm

gdane5 wrote:I took the LSAT twice. I did ok the first time. I retook in December and got a 158. I prepared and did everything I could. I used the powerscore books and took 32 official PT's. So the 158 wasnt due to laziness or a lack of effort.

This question was really a simple one and yet noone has answered it.

The point of this question was to see whether or not the LSAT is all its cracked up to be. Is it a perfect science ( i dont think it is at all) and if it isnt a perfect science then why do law schools and prospective students allow themselves to be taken hostage by the LSAT?
Because it's an imperfect science, which is better than pure bullshit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”