USF vs. GGU S of L Honors Program Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
eans820

New

USF vs. GGU S of L Honors Program

Post by eans820 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:09 pm

I am aware of GG's less than stellar reputation.

Trying to figure out where I would be better suited in terms of employment...at USF (ranked 98..and falling from what I hear) or at GG (ranked 117 and improving?) in their honors program?

Obviously don't have my hopes on biglaw. I am interested in enviro. law, which gg has a good program for. Also interested in working at DA's office.

This is a vague post...any input would be appreciated.

General Tso

Gold

Re: USF vs. GGU S of L Honors Program

Post by General Tso » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 am

ggu is not 117 and improving. they don't rank past 100.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Is the honors program a full ride? Free might be more than a GGU JD is worth, but at least you could roll the dice on a transfer and not be out any money.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:48 pm

I applied to GGU and USF, although I'm not exclusively looking at these schools, it may very well come down to the offers they make.

I'm weary of GGU as it doesn't seem to have a good reputation/alumni network in the region. At least other poorly ranked, regional schools can have solid reputations (UOP-McGeorge, Suffolk, etc).

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 am

Great Satchmo wrote:I applied to GGU and USF, although I'm not exclusively looking at these schools, it may very well come down to the offers they make.

I'm weary of GGU as it doesn't seem to have a good reputation/alumni network in the region. At least other poorly ranked, regional schools can have solid reputations (UOP-McGeorge, Suffolk, etc).
I think there is little difference between GGU and McGeorge

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 pm

swheat wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:I applied to GGU and USF, although I'm not exclusively looking at these schools, it may very well come down to the offers they make.

Really?

My perception of GGU is that they are fledgling and may not have a great alumni network in the city. Any sources that can point me to some positive information (I keep hearing pretty bad things).

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm

GGU isn't a T1 school. But when you look at it for what it is, I think TLS presents an overly harsh picture.

Some Positives:
1. The new Dean is fantastic (http://www.ggu.edu/school_of_law/law_fa ... illa_ramey). She is smart, driven and influential. She brings a lot to the University.
2. The profs are fairly impressive. I'm part-time so I have four classes this semester. Two of my Profs are also at Boalt. A third teaches at Hastings.
3. The school makes a real effort to make sure top students succeed (partly through networking with successful alumni). I know the whole "Super Lawyers" methodology is kind of screwy, but GGU did fairly well , and (even with screwy methodology) I think it indicates that GGU has some fairly accomplished alumni (especially locally).
4. The cost is right. If you are getting into USF and Santa Clara, you'll probably get a fantastic scholarship. You'll probably also be one of the successful students who gets the networking opportunities (and is on law review).

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 pm

If I can get enough money to make it less of a risk (I don't care about foregone salary/opportunity cost), I'm definitely considering it. I love San Francisco, I am committed to law, and I think policy/PI work is what I'd love to do, especially in the SF/the bay area.

I guess I just worry that even with the better dean and ability to possibly stand out (who knows) - that the school reputation and education may be more than can be overcome. I'll have to talk to some people after I hear back and see what offer/opportunities.

I have over 75%tile on both GPA and LSAT. I applied because I love the city, and I think it can be a place where debt would be very low, if the scholarship is right, and afford me more latitude in choosing a career in law.

MTaylor25

New

Post by MTaylor25 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:14 pm

swheat wrote:

You are definitely mistaken as far at that is concerned. McGeorge does excellent in the Sacramento region; it has a very good reputation in this area. In no way do I believe that Golden Gate deserves all of the negative attention that it receives on sites like these. However, the truth is McGeorge does much better in the Sacramento region than GG does in the San Francisco area. The rankings are fairly useless regarding McGeorge because the school does so well in its own region.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:57 pm

MTaylor25 wrote:
swheat wrote:

You are definitely mistaken as far at that is concerned. McGeorge does excellent in the Sacramento region; it has a very good reputation in this area. In no way do I believe that Golden Gate deserves all of the negative attention that it receives on sites like these. However, the truth is McGeorge does much better in the Sacramento region than GG does in the San Francisco area. The rankings are fairly useless regarding McGeorge because the school does so well in its own region.
I agree. McGeorge does carry a lot of weight in Northern California. Also, it only a few years ago that McGeorge was ranked in the low to mid 90's.

In response to your situation, personally I'd choose USF over Golden Gate. However, if Pub interest is your field then it is worth considering going to the cheapest school which GGU would probably be after scholarships.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:49 am

I have heard that GGU is on the verge of losing their ABA accred.? Any truth to this? Personally, I would rather take the LSAT again than go to GGU. It is the worst ABA approved law school in the Bay Area, and lets not kid ourselves on this.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:00 pm

I am from San Francisco and know both schools well. USF should be chosen over GGU at any cost. It will make a difference in your career. Most people you will talk to say that USF with no $ over GGU with full scholarship is worth it. GGU is where you go if absolutely can't get in anywhere else.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:I have heard that GGU is on the verge of losing their ABA accred.? Any truth to this? Personally, I would rather take the LSAT again than go to GGU. It is the worst ABA approved law school in the Bay Area, and lets not kid ourselves on this.
GGU *was* on probation with the ABA several years ago. This is no longer true.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Temka wrote:I am from San Francisco and know both schools well. USF should be chosen over GGU at any cost. It will make a difference in your career. Most people you will talk to say that USF with no $ over GGU with full scholarship is worth it. GGU is where you go if absolutely can't get in anywhere else.
I am not sure I agree with this at all. USF at sticker might be worth it only if you can self-finance most of the cost. If it would take more than 75k debt for me to attend USF vs. GGU for free, I'd probably take GGU for free.

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:29 am

I was just accepted to GGU law today with honors and 30k...would still rather go practically anywhere else, and I dont exactly have the highest standards

eans820

New

Post by eans820 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:10 am

withdraw if you feel that strongly about not attending

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Temka wrote:I was just accepted to GGU law today with honors and 30k...would still rather go practically anywhere else, and I dont exactly have the highest standards
I received same package today... what are you other options?

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:50 pm

haylie wrote:
Temka wrote:I was just accepted to GGU law today with honors and 30k...would still rather go practically anywhere else, and I dont exactly have the highest standards
I received same package today... what are you other options?
Southwestern & am still waiting on some other schools

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student”