Question about new Law Schools/accredidation

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
GoBroncos22!

Question about new Law Schools/accredidation

Postby GoBroncos22! » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Howdy all, as you all know Boise, Idaho (where I live) is one of the largest major metro areas without a Law school. The only one in Idaho is in Moscow and for you who have not had the pleasure of visiting there-well, your missing NOTHING. Its a small hicktown, 15,000 people WITH the college students and the alcoholism rate their must be like 85%. Anyways, there has been talk of Concordia University from Oregon opening a Law school in Boise and as of now they have purchased the building downtown and plan on having their first class in Fall '11 (when I plan to begin). My question is this, would it be advisable to attend a newly opened Law School? How does the accredidation work by the ABA? Does it take a few years to become accredited? Tuition is proposed to be around 28,000/year and I certainly dont want to pay for this if the JD from this school would be laughed at. I cant seem t find much informatin on this....Any info would be appreciated. Thanks all

kalvano

Re: Question about new Law Schools/accredidation

Postby kalvano » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:29 pm

For $28,000, you can go to a much better, more well-known school.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 pm

There is a town named 'Moscow' in Idoho? Neat.

Edit: Attending a new school is probably a very bad idea since it would have absolutly no prestige - and prestige is everything when it comes to law schools.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Ragged wrote:Edit: Attending a new school is probably a very bad idea since it would have absolutly no prestige - and prestige is everything when it comes to law schools.

+1

A lot of applicants have reservations about even UC Irvine, which I am sure will be a T30 school WHEN it is accredited. The fact is, with no upperclassmen, no prestige, no alumni network, and not much of a clue where it will be ranked, attending a brand new law school is a big risk. Of course, I believe every student in UC Irvine's inaugural class received a full tuition scholarship, so that may be enough to offset the gamble.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Return to “Law School FAQ”