Pepperdine M.D.R. Payoff?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Xizenta

Pepperdine M.D.R. Payoff?

Postby Xizenta » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:15 am

So Pepperdine is not the best law school. I understand it will be tough to land a job with an excellent salary as a graduate of that school, if i choose to attend.

What I'm wondering is, isn't there anyway to take advantage of their Dispute Resolution program ranking?
What kind of salary are we looking at for people who graduate from the J.D./MDR program there?
I've looked around online but I couldn't find any statistics.

nealric

Re: Pepperdine M.D.R. Payoff?

Postby nealric » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 pm

The M.D.R. program wouldn't do anything for you above the J.D. Assume entry level small firm salary of 40-50k, with 6 months of unemployment before your bar passage comes through.

Banish any notions that the program will get you any kind of sexy dispute resolution job. You could end up in such a job down the line, but it wouldn't be because of the program.

Aberzombie1892

Re: Pepperdine M.D.R. Payoff?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:42 pm

nealric wrote:The M.D.R. program wouldn't do anything for you above the J.D. Assume entry level small firm salary of 40-50k, with 6 months of unemployment before your bar passage comes through.

Banish any notions that the program will get you any kind of sexy dispute resolution job. You could end up in such a job down the line, but it wouldn't be because of the program.

Never pick a school because of a program it it has - ever (pick a school because it's the right "fit," scholarship offer, prestige (rank), etc.)

If you go there, you should have two goals (like anyone else in law school):
1) Work as hard/smart as possible (so you can rank high)
2) Work just as hard on establishing connections.

Most employers care more about your rank and your connections than what you actually do in law school.

i.e. you could make top 10% at Pepperdine and never take an Dispute Resolution class and get a high paying job in that area. However if you don't make around that cut off, most employers wouldn't care about you anyway (unfortunately).

Return to “Law School FAQ”