Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Killacam18
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:11 am

Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby Killacam18 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 am

Anyone not going straight from UG? Have kids? Just kind of curious, is it a hazy kind of line or is there some official definition? Sorry if this has been posted before.

User avatar
Aeroplane
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby Aeroplane » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am

My expansive definition of nontrad: someone who has done something that is not school for 2 or more years before applying to LS. The "something" cannot be a master's degree or a time-limited organized "program" for people who know/plan to apply to LS after (like TFA, Americorps, 2 yrs of paralegaling, etc). The "something" could also be pre-UG if the person finished UG later in life (e.g. went to work straight out of high school).

My narrow definition of non-trad: someone who is 27 or older at the start of law school. This definition is mainly written to narrowly exclude me 8)

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:53 am

Older than traditional law school students? If you are a White Male between the ages of 20-25 you in all likelyness are not a "nontrad" student. If you aren't a young White Male you have a good chance of being a "nontrad" student. Unfortunately I'm the former.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby TheTopBloke » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 am

Yes, there are plenty of us. <--- non-trad.

User avatar
beef wellington
Posts: 882
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby beef wellington » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 am

darknightbegins wrote:Older than traditional law school students? If you are a White Male between the ages of 20-25 you in all likelyness are not a "nontrad" student. If you aren't a young White Male you have a good chance of being a "nontrad" student. Unfortunately I'm the former.


Pretty sure race and sex have nothing to do with it.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 am

Then I humbly stand corrected.

thisguy456
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby thisguy456 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:10 am

Is there any boost nontraditional applicants receive? Is 27 a typical definition in the eyes of law schools?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby TTH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am

I don't think there's any special consideration a non-traditional gets from AdComms. By the above "narrow" definition, I will be a non-trad, but it certainly didn't help me.

If you can work into the story your application will tell about overcoming adversity or something similar, then you may get a little mileage out of it.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 am

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby JazzOne » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:54 am

I'm a nontrad. I applied last cycle though. Typically, older applicants are called nontrads. It's just so we don't feel bad for being so old.

bahama
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:23 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby bahama » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 pm

In general, at least > 5 yrs out of undergrad (and/or over 30). Successful in another career path before applying to law school.

Could also be someone who took an unusual path including overcoming significant adversity (such as someone who had a kid at 17, dropped out of high school, later went back and got a GED and Bachelors while working 2 jobs and supporting their kid).

Amount of boost varies but is roughly correlated to how far away from the "typical" applicant they are and the magnitude of what they accomplished while away from school.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby traehekat » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Optimus Prime.

User avatar
pinkzeppelin
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby pinkzeppelin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm

traehekat wrote:Optimus Prime.


This is a minor soft, worth probably 1 LSAT point.

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 pm

I think I fall under nontrad under all accounts.

I had a kid at 17, worked on an ungrad forever, while waiting tables, then did an MBA. Have worked as a Paralegal full time for last 10 years, got married, had two more kids. Over 30 too. And I finally got around to taking the LSAT Feb 6th.

I feel like I am an eduacation treadmill. :roll:

YoungMa
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby YoungMa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:54 pm

bahama wrote:In general, at least > 5 yrs out of undergrad (and/or over 30). Successful in another career path before applying to law school.

Could also be someone who took an unusual path including overcoming significant adversity (such as someone who had a kid at 17, dropped out of high school, later went back and got a GED and Bachelors while working 2 jobs and supporting their kid).

Amount of boost varies but is roughly correlated to how far away from the "typical" applicant they are and the magnitude of what they accomplished while away from school.


Your "example" person is me, except I had my kid at 16.

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby raperez129 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

YoungMa wrote:
bahama wrote:In general, at least > 5 yrs out of undergrad (and/or over 30). Successful in another career path before applying to law school.

Could also be someone who took an unusual path including overcoming significant adversity (such as someone who had a kid at 17, dropped out of high school, later went back and got a GED and Bachelors while working 2 jobs and supporting their kid).

Amount of boost varies but is roughly correlated to how far away from the "typical" applicant they are and the magnitude of what they accomplished while away from school.


Your "example" person is me, except I had my kid at 16.


Cool! :mrgreen:

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: Who all would be considered "nontrad"?

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:57 pm

bahama wrote:In general, at least > 5 yrs out of undergrad (and/or over 30). Successful in another career path before applying to law school.

Could also be someone who took an unusual path including overcoming significant adversity (such as someone who had a kid at 17, dropped out of high school, later went back and got a GED and Bachelors while working 2 jobs and supporting their kid).

Amount of boost varies but is roughly correlated to how far away from the "typical" applicant they are and the magnitude of what they accomplished while away from school.


+1 Shorthand: 27 or older, education was disrupted for more than one semester/didn't start college until later in life




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests