At what point should I reconsider my decision to apply? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
glass half full

New

At what point should I reconsider my decision to apply?

Post by glass half full » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm

At this point, I have a list of reaches, matches, and "safeties" for schools. I partially used LSP to make these decisions, but on the "What are my chances?" forum, there are a lot of people who have much lower stats and probably won't get into any top schools. My lowest ranked safety school is #55 (USNWR rankings).

I understand that USNWR is not ALL that matters. But in reality, employers do care about where you go to school..

So my question is, would I even succeed after pouring thousands of dollars into my education if I'm not at a T14 or T20? If I end up going to this #55 school, will it be a waste?

And in case it matters, I'm trying to go into IP law.

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: At what point should I reconsider my decision to apply?

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:03 pm

Depends a lot on what you are planning on going into, where you are planning on practicing, etc. Law firms do care about where you went to school, but it's not black and white.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm

Do you want to be a lawyer?
Are you willing to work towards a better job if you don't get the job you want off-hand?
Do you have realistic goals if you go to a school ranked 55?

If the answer is yes, then go for it.
If the answer is no, then rethink your decision.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:05 pm

glass half full wrote:At this point, I have a list of reaches, matches, and "safeties" for schools. I partially used LSP to make these decisions, but on the "What are my chances?" forum, there are a lot of people who have much lower stats and probably won't get into any top schools. My lowest ranked safety school is #55 (USNWR rankings).

I understand that USNWR is not ALL that matters. But in reality, employers do care about where you go to school..

So my question is, would I even succeed after pouring thousands of dollars into my education if I'm not at a T14 or T20? If I end up going to this #55 school, will it be a waste?

And in case it matters, I'm trying to go into IP law.
try chicago-kent. strong chicago placement for IP but it puts you in chicago. if you aren't in the t14, you are much less likely to have a "portable" degree. outside of the t14 strong regional placing schools or strong local schools in the market in which you'd like to live are good things to think about.

glass half full

New

Post by glass half full » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:01 pm

So then, my next question would be- should I focus more on schools who have a better IP program, or should I go to the higher ranked school?

GW is known for their IP program, but many choose to go to Georgetown because its a T14. But realistically, which one is better?

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:07 pm

GULC is better (even for IP).

Also note: for IP, your tech background can sometimes trump your law school background. Phd from MIT in EE and top half of GW would be much more likely to get a good IP job than undergrad bio major and top 20% from GULC. If your tech background is very strong, you can probably go a bit down in rankings and still come out OK.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”