who is more impressive to you:

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

which impresses you more?

top 5% + Law review at TTT like Drake/Albany/Mercer/NYLS
81
21%
top top 1/2 to 1/3 + Secondary Journal at lower T14 like GULC/Duke/Cornell
302
79%
 
Total votes: 383

harvey2L
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:05 am

who is more impressive to you:

Postby harvey2L » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:22 pm

top 5% + Law review at TTT like Drake/Albany/Mercer/NYLS

OR

top top 1/2 at somewhere like GULC/Duke/Cornell

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby Tanicius » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Former.

User avatar
jonas586
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:21 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby jonas586 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:25 pm

The latter

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:26 pm

Latter but only if its dook

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:33 am

Former, I think. Law school is pretty difficult no matter where you go, from what I gather. Top 5% is impressive anywhere, plus students at lower ranked schools are often more competitive than students at higher ranked schools (due to the desire to transfer).

User avatar
Gunz353
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:12 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby Gunz353 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 am

Label whores

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:44 am

traehekat wrote:Former, I think. Law school is pretty difficult no matter where you go, from what I gather. Top 5% is impressive anywhere, plus students at lower ranked schools are often more competitive than students at higher ranked schools (due to the desire to transfer).

+1

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby Bosque » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:16 am

You guys realize you are talking about top third at Cornell vs. top 5% at New York Law School, right? Right? How is this even a question?

The lack of research and foresight it took to actually enroll there kinda disqualifies them from the competition.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby im_blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:18 am

Bosque wrote:You guys realize you are talking about top third at Cornell vs. top 5% at New York Law School, right? Right? How is this even a question?

The lack of research and foresight it took to actually enroll there kinda disqualifies them from the competition.


Aren't those roughly the biglaw cutoffs ITE?

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby calicocat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:20 am

Any TLSer that says former is a dirty liar tryin to look good :P

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 am

Oli wrote:Any TLSer that says former is a dirty liar tryin to look good :P


TITCR. TLS

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby rayiner » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am

im_blue wrote:
Bosque wrote:You guys realize you are talking about top third at Cornell vs. top 5% at New York Law School, right? Right? How is this even a question?

The lack of research and foresight it took to actually enroll there kinda disqualifies them from the competition.


Aren't those roughly the biglaw cutoffs ITE?


Top 5% at NYLS was the biglaw cut-off before ITE.

User avatar
Thirteen
Posts: 23949
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby Thirteen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am

The former is more impressive, but I would rather be the latter.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 am

traehekat wrote:Former, I think. Law school is pretty difficult no matter where you go, from what I gather. Top 5% is impressive anywhere, plus students at lower ranked schools are often more competitive than students at higher ranked schools (due to the desire to transfer).


It may be difficult but its graded on a curve. People at Georgetown are smarter on average.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby najumobi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

rayiner wrote:
im_blue wrote:
Bosque wrote:You guys realize you are talking about top third at Cornell vs. top 5% at New York Law School, right? Right? How is this even a question?

The lack of research and foresight it took to actually enroll there kinda disqualifies them from the competition.


Aren't those roughly the biglaw cutoffs ITE?


Top 5% at NYLS was the biglaw cut-off before ITE.

ITE would probably make the cuttoff top 2/3%, now making biglaw practically out of reach for NYLS peeps. gone are the days when NYLS students had a realistic chance at biglaw.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 am

Thirteen wrote:The former is more impressive, but I would rather be the latter.


TITCR.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 am

I say the latter. Doing well in law school is one thing, but getting into a top law shows long-term commitment.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby los blancos » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 am

This is an interesting question. I don't know which I would choose.

This is going to sound elitist, but while those top 5%ers at TTTs are usually pretty damn smart, they are competing against a curve of lots of relatively unintelligent people.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 am

JazzOne wrote:I say the latter. Doing well in law school is one thing, but getting into a top law shows long-term commitment.


Seriously? The minimum for getting into Cornell requires four years of slacking in UG and excelling for three hours of your life.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:35 am

vanwinkle wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I say the latter. Doing well in law school is one thing, but getting into a top law shows long-term commitment.


Seriously? The minimum for getting into Cornell requires four years of slacking in UG and excelling for three hours of your life.

Few people excel for those three hours without a lot of prep (either in UG or independently).

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:
JazzOne wrote:I say the latter. Doing well in law school is one thing, but getting into a top law shows long-term commitment.


Seriously? The minimum for getting into Cornell requires four years of slacking in UG and excelling for three hours of your life.


And the minimum for NYLS is four years slacking and then massively fucking up a three hour test.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 am

what is more impressive?

the person you meet that says he graduated from Georgetown Law

or

the person you meet that graduated from NYLS or John Marshall but insists he graduated at the top of his class

if you asked me when phrased this way there is no way i would be more impressed by the TTTT individual

lsatbdog
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby lsatbdog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:51 am

Desert Fox wrote:
traehekat wrote:Former, I think. Law school is pretty difficult no matter where you go, from what I gather. Top 5% is impressive anywhere, plus students at lower ranked schools are often more competitive than students at higher ranked schools (due to the desire to transfer).


It may be difficult but its graded on a curve. People at Georgetown are smarter on average.


+1, I have a bit of perspective on this

I went to one of the low-ranked schools you mentioned for UG (it wasn't Harvard, but the UG there is a bit more respectable than the law school). I know a few people from UG who wound up at the law school on full tuition schollys and finished top 15-20%, which while a ways from top 5%, is still pretty high up, and while these were resonably bright people, there is no way they were qualified for Georgetown or better. If you were talking about top 5% at say, Florida, Colorado, American, etc, I think you would have a pretty good question. Also, I'm not sure how competitive it was, but from what I could gater I don't think most people were working super hard trying to transfer up, as many would have been content just to get a job in the state.

User avatar
Space_Cowboy
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 am

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby Space_Cowboy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:03 am

Which one describes you best?

Attending a T2/T3 school with hopes of Big Law

OR

Attending a lower T-14 and are worried about career prospects?

lsatbdog
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: who is more impressive to you:

Postby lsatbdog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:11 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:Which one describes you best?

Attending a T2/T3 school with hopes of Big Law

OR

Attending a lower T-14 and are worried about career prospects?


Not sure if that is directed at me, but in any case I was talking about my undergrad...

And if it is directed at me, then neither(middle tier 1 or upper tier 2/JAG/SJA)...
Last edited by lsatbdog on Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest