Law School Professors: Liberals or Conservatives???

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
vtoodler

Law School Professors: Liberals or Conservatives???

Postby vtoodler » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 am

Where do law school professors at your typical law school lie on the political spectrum? I have always been under the impression that they tend to be more conservative.

mallard

Re: Law School Professors: Liberals or Conservatives???

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am

I'm pretty sure you were under the wrong impression.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:06 am

While I am sure there are professors that lie in all possible directions in the political spectrum, I always heard that as a group it tends to me more liberal than conservative. I thought conservative law professors where in the minority.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:06 am

As with all professors, there is a wide dispersal, but the mean is the left of center.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 am

Conventional wisdom seems to be that the law profession is overwhelmingly left-leaning, but of my professors my first semester, the only one that expressed any real political views at all was very hardcore conservative.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:13 am

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:20 am

Liberals' self-perpetuation strategy is to drill ideology into the next generation by becoming professors.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 am

Halibut6 wrote:Liberals' self-perpetuation strategy is to drill ideology into the next generation by becoming professors.

I recommend taking off the tin foil hat.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 am

:) I didn't say I wasn't a liberal.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 am

Halibut6 wrote::) I didn't say I wasn't a liberal.

My sarcasm detector is filing miserably.....

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 am

vanwinkle wrote:Conventional wisdom seems to be that the law profession is overwhelmingly left-leaning, but of my professors my first semester, the only one that expressed any real political views at all was very hardcore conservative.

IDK if that's really conventional wisdom. Other than legal academics and the plaintiff's bar, I can't think of any other left-leaning groups. Big firms and their lawyers certainly aren't.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:33 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Conventional wisdom seems to be that the law profession is overwhelmingly left-leaning, but of my professors my first semester, the only one that expressed any real political views at all was very hardcore conservative.

IDK if that's really conventional wisdom. Other than legal academics and the plaintiff's bar, I can't think of any other left-leaning groups. Big firms and their lawyers certainly aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_wisdom

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:38 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Either that or I work with a bizarre number of hippies for a big firm. Aren't there campaign contribution websites to do a quick check (not exactly lib/con, but D/R is close enough)?

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:47 am

Don't think biglaw attorneys tend to be particularly conservative.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:48 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Either that or I work with a bizarre number of hippies for a big firm. Aren't there campaign contribution websites to do a quick check (not exactly lib/con, but D/R is close enough)?

Probably depends on the city. But your typical white shoe BigLaw firm is going to be right-leaning, I'd say.

I'm sure if you subtracted DC/NYC firms, you'd find that BigLaw = conservative, by and large.
Last edited by RVP11 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:49 am

mallard wrote:Don't think biglaw attorneys tend to be particularly conservative.

The few that make partner probably are, but they probably tend to be outnumbered by the liberal associates working for a few years to pay off their loans before going off to do what they really want to do.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I'm sure if you subtracted DC/NYC firms, you'd find that BigLaw = conservative, by and large.

I don't think this is the case. I'm pretty sure California biglaw is pretty liberal, and nothing suggests to me that Chicago biglaw is particularly conservative. Texas biglaw, sure.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Probably depends on the city. But your typical white shoe BigLaw firm is going to be right-leaning, I'd say.

I'm sure if you subtracted DC/NYC firms, you'd find that BigLaw = conservative, by and large.

Any reason for believing this? Aside from the fact that they make tons of coin.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:56 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:

Three cities I've actually done political research within. Full disclosure: they're all western (non-CA) cities. All had overwhelmingly conservative law firms.

And out of my hometown's 15 big firms, I remember discovering that the members of 14 of them were giving an overwhelming majority of their financial support to Republican candidates.

Maybe it'd be better to make an exception for major markets.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:00 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Space_Cowboy wrote:

Three cities I've actually done political research within. Full disclosure: they're all western (non-CA) cities. All had overwhelmingly conservative law firms.

And out of my hometown's 15 big firms, I remember discovering that the members of 14 of them were giving an overwhelming majority of their financial support to Republican candidates.

Maybe it'd be better to make an exception for major markets.

Can you out the three states?

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 am

But an overwhelming amount of biglaw is in major markets.

Oban

Postby Oban » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:24 am

Big law in Seattle is definitely liberal. I'd wager that most biglaw firms in major market lean liberal and often have a healthy pro bono group. Despite convential wisdom. Making bank =/= Conservatttive.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 am

In my admittedly limited experience I've found that law professors are, on average, considerably more conservative than other members of the professoriate (humanities, social sciences, and hard sciences).

By conservative I don't necessarily mean Republican. There are very few Republican academics of any sort. There are all sorts of systemic reasons for this, but "liberal bias" in hiring and tenure plays only a very small role.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 am

Academics, lawyers, other professionals, smart people in general = liberal.

/thread.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:22 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Academics, lawyers, other professionals, smart people in general = liberal.

/thread.

But people with $$$, in general = conservative.

I'd be shocked to find that BigLaw partners, nationwide, are left-leaning.

Return to “Law School FAQ”