American or British English

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
User avatar
loser148
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

American or British English

Postby loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Here's a fun question. :D

When I was a kid, I trained myself to write British English.

My intent was to NOT do this on the application, but under writing resumes on TLS, there is a quote to use consistency.

So, would it be damaging OR raise any alarms to use British English?
That's my natural writing style.

User avatar
Clint Eastwood
Posts: 612
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:15 am

Re: American or British English

Postby Clint Eastwood » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:45 pm

They might think you're British.


No, not really, they'll just think you're pretentious.

User avatar
TheTopBloke
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:45 pm

American english.

User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby hoopsguy6 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Why would you intentionally train yourself to write British English if you're American/live in America. I don't think it would hurt your app as long as you're consistent.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

loser148 wrote:Here's a fun question. :D

When I was a kid, I trained myself to write British English.

My intent was to NOT do this on the application, but under writing resumes on TLS, there is a quote to use consistency.

So, would it be damaging OR raise any alarms to use British English?
That's my natural writing style.


i wouldnt write in british english if you have no roots there (and by this i mean nothing on your resume or app to tie you to a british education/some time spent there)

but make sure your americanized writing is free of all mistakes (i.e. british writing)

User avatar
loser148
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks ya'll!

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:13 pm

loser148 wrote:Thanks ya'll!

naturally British English and you type "ya'll" ?? :lol:

I grew up writing in British English (but not for fun) too, people will just think you are pretentious if you do it....

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: American or British English

Postby Renzo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 pm

This is ridiculous. I taught myself to write in iambic pentameter, but I wouldn't use it on a job application. If you taught yourself Gaelic, or Klingon, or Esperanto, would you write your application in those?

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby Zapatero » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm

You need to realise that writing in British English will make you appear to be a douche. Colour.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:23 pm

ccs1702 wrote:You need to realise that writing in British English will make you appear to be a douche. Colour.

you're my favourite, cheers!

User avatar
loser148
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I love you guys! :mrgreen:

The ya'll was extreme sarcasm.

User avatar
Burberry by Burberry
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 am

Re: American or British English

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:26 pm

loser148 wrote:Thanks ya'll!

It's "y'all."

User avatar
Zapatero
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:14 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby Zapatero » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Veritas wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:You need to realise that writing in British English will make you appear to be a douche. Colour.

you're my favourite, cheers!


Well I do say, my good man, I am quite honoured.

ArmyVet07
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 6:11 am

Re: American or British English

Postby ArmyVet07 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm curious. Are you just talking about spelling (e.g. "colour" vs. "color"), or do you also adopt British word usage (e.g. "lift" instead of "elevator")? Please note that there are also differences in grammar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_a ... ifferences

It will probably seem pretentious no matter how you do it, but if you mix British spelling with American word usage and grammar, it will seem pretentious and sloppy.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:29 pm

ccs1702 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:You need to realise that writing in British English will make you appear to be a douche. Colour.

you're my favourite, cheers!


Well I do say, my good man, I am quite honoured.

pop pop cheerio. Tea and crumpets for us. But first I must visit the loo.

ali & ali
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby ali & ali » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
loser148 wrote:Thanks ya'll!

It's "y'all."


If there's anything I hate, it's misspelled southern-isms.

User avatar
loser148
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Well, if I were used to spelling southernisms, it would be correct! :wink:

User avatar
je_ne_regrette_rien
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am

Re: American or British English

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 pm

loser148 wrote:Here's a fun question. :D

When I was a kid, I trained myself to write British English.

My intent was to NOT do this on the application, but under writing resumes on TLS, there is a quote to use consistency.

So, would it be damaging OR raise any alarms to use British English?
That's my natural writing style.


I absolutely hate people who do this. Have you ever even been to the UK or lived in the UK? Ughhhhhh

taytay
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby taytay » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 pm

I think most places outside of the States write this way

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby superserial » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:59 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:
loser148 wrote:Here's a fun question. :D

When I was a kid, I trained myself to write British English.

My intent was to NOT do this on the application, but under writing resumes on TLS, there is a quote to use consistency.

So, would it be damaging OR raise any alarms to use British English?
That's my natural writing style.


I absolutely hate people who do this. Have you ever even been to the UK or lived in the UK? Ughhhhhh


I wasn't aware that there were people who do this.

User avatar
je_ne_regrette_rien
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:26 am

Re: American or British English

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:04 pm

superserial wrote:
je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:
loser148 wrote:Here's a fun question. :D

When I was a kid, I trained myself to write British English.

My intent was to NOT do this on the application, but under writing resumes on TLS, there is a quote to use consistency.

So, would it be damaging OR raise any alarms to use British English?
That's my natural writing style.


I absolutely hate people who do this. Have you ever even been to the UK or lived in the UK? Ughhhhhh


I wasn't aware that there were people who do this.


Yeahhhh. I went to a private school where the kids were either really rich or really smart... sometimes both. The poor kids (read: middle class) developed complexes and tried to act European... I guess to make up for the fact that they had never been out of the country. Honestly... WHO CARES. Be yourself. Most British accents are ugly anyway.

I wasn't born in this country, but I love America just as much as I love my other country. And I would never pretend to be anything else.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby superserial » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 pm

je_ne_regrette_rien wrote:
Yeahhhh. I went to a private school where the kids were either really rich or really smart... sometimes both. The poor kids (read: middle class) developed complexes and tried to act European... I guess to make up for the fact that they had never been out of the country. Honestly... WHO CARES. Be yourself. Most British accents are ugly anyway.

I wasn't born in this country, but I love America just as much as I love my other country. And I would never pretend to be anything else.


that's hilarious... and pretty sad.

User avatar
loser148
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby loser148 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:13 pm

I have dual citizenship and lived in Germany for several years. All of my family is in Germany. I episodically 'threaten' to renounce this citizenship, especially during stupid eras when AMERICANS are claiming FREEDOM FRIES rather than FRENCH FRIES. "I'd rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action..."

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: American or British English

Postby superserial » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 pm

loser148 wrote:I have dual citizenship and lived in Germany for several years. All of my family is in Germany. I episodically 'threaten' to renounce this citizenship, especially during stupid eras when AMERICANS are claiming FREEDOM FRIES rather than FRENCH FRIES. "I'd rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action..."


I'm sure it would be a huge loss for America.

kgirl
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:07 am

Re: American or British English

Postby kgirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:17 pm

I was raised to write British English all my life. When I moved to America, I had drop to certain u's from words. I was afraid of writing in British English because I'd give away my identity as non-American. People would just think I'm weird.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, Photomike2 and 7 guests