What's so bad about Ithaca?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
awesomepossum

Re: What's so bad about Ithaca?

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:01 am

julesm2200 wrote:I've always wondered why people hate on Ithaca more than say Ann Arbor or Durham. They are all relatively small(er) towns. So is there really THAT much more to do in Ann Arbor than in Ithaca?

Yes there is.

I was in Ithaca for 7 years and I'm on 2 years in Ann Arbor. There IS that much more to do here in AA.

Don't get me wrong...I actually really like Ithaca. It helped that I played a lot of ultimate which is really popular in both places. There are some really good options for most things in Ithaca (bars/restaurants etc) it's just that the number of options are quite limited. Take shopping for example....your options are pretty much Wegmans (high end), Tops (middle) or P&C (low).
You like mall-type shopping? There's pretty much ONE place to go...and it's tiny.

Additionally, if you're a sports fan in Ithaca you're pretty much sunk unless you really like hockey.

The vibe in both towns is somewhat similar. The one difference is that there is a much better town-gown relationship in Ann Arbor than in Ithaca.

One thing I have to say though....Ithaca is MUCH BETTER when it comes to snow removal on the roads than Ann Arbor or Michigan in general.

That having been said, if I hadn't spent so much time in Ithaca already I would have no problem going to law school there. It's a really nice place to spend a few years....I just don't think I would want to live there forever.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Image

/thread.

It snows at Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Michigan too...

Cornell is the farthest north of all those schools

Actually, it's only a TINY bit north of Boston and Ann Arbor, and only a bit further north of Chicago. I think its latitude has less to do with the weather than does its location relative to the lakes/hills nearby.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 am

Tanicius wrote:I don't get the gripes against Ithaca and Charlottesville for being "small towns." True, they're nothing like NYC or LA, and they're not even as big as areas like Durham or Ann Arbor, but these complainers have no idea what the definition of "small town" really is. I go to college in a town of 3000 people, ~5000 counting the college population. The nearest Wal-Mart is 40 minutes away. Charlottesville has ~45k people; Ithaca has ~30k. That's the size of a small suburb... by no means a "small town".

I'm from the NYC area. Until very recently, the nearest Wal-Mart was 40 minutes away from me too. I don't think distance from the nearest Wal-Mart is a good indicator for how small your town is. :lol:

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 am

Halibut6 wrote:One of those stories says this: "Last fall, Sharon Dittman, associate director of community relations for Gannett, told The Sun that Cornell’s suicide rate is in keeping with the national average for higher education, which is seven per 100,000 students per year."

More like Darren Shittman, am I right?

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 am

Tanicius wrote:

/thread.

It snows at Chicago, Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Yale, Penn, and Michigan too...

The following is hearsay, but it comes in as a present sense impression. My cousin, a Minnesota native and a new college student at Loyola in Chicago, thinks the winters are actually worse in Chicago than lower Minnesota due to the wind off Lake Michigan. I believe

Such a crappy hearsay exception. Always tried to get stuff in with a better one than that.

Anyway, I hate the cold with a passion but I don't know about you guys but I'll take a quiet, boring, college town with moutains of snow and temperatures that a Texan has never dealt with before to have a chance to attend Cornell. Just sayin'

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:25 am

It depends what you like. I prefer big cities. I imagine some people would really like it, but it's very out in the middle of nowhere. My impression of Ithaca is not the city itself but the trip of driving there to visit when one of my older siblings went there. It took forever and I lost cell phone reception for much of the way and at age 15 I was feeling very cranky about this.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:44 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:

I grew up in Buffalo so I am 100% biased (as I look out my window there is a ton of snow) but that picture is gorges.

http://www.instantrimshot.com

Tanicius wrote:I don't get the gripes against Ithaca and Charlottesville for being "small towns." True, they're nothing like NYC or LA, and they're not even as big as areas like Durham or Ann Arbor, but these complainers have no idea what the definition of "small town" really is. I go to college in a town of 3000 people, ~5000 counting the college population. The nearest Wal-Mart is 40 minutes away. Charlottesville has ~45k people; Ithaca has ~30k. That's the size of a small suburb... by no means a "small town".

My high school had 3000 people.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:36 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

I grew up in Buffalo so I am 100% biased (as I look out my window there is a ton of snow) but that picture is gorges.

Right. So when people say their town of 30,000 people is "small," I roll my eyes.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

billyez wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

/thread.

The following is hearsay, but it comes in as a present sense impression. My cousin, a Minnesota native and a new college student at Loyola in Chicago, thinks the winters are actually worse in Chicago than lower Minnesota due to the wind off Lake Michigan. I believe

Such a crappy hearsay exception. Always tried to get stuff in with a better one than that.

Take it to Perjuries and we'll duke it out there, you and me, B. :D

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Tanicius wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

Right. So when people say their town of 30,000 people is "small," I roll my eyes.

That means you are a hick.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:44 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

That means you are a hick.

Nah, I come from a suburban hell hole with fewer operator-owned businesses than sports cars. Now, the populace that lives next to my college... they're hicks. Ex.: The bio teacher at the local high school openly professes creationism in her classroom without incident from the administration.

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:45 pm

fewer operator-owned businesses than sports cars.

huh?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:09 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
fewer operator-owned businesses than sports cars.

huh?

I can count the locally-owned businesses in my hometown on my hands. Chain corporations dominate almost everything -- Wal-Mart, the usual fast food places, pseudo dining trash like Olive Garden, and stores that create artificial needs for their products, such as Hollister and Hot Topic. Then you've got the upper middle class folks who think they're hot shit and roll around in their sports cars at the age of 60. Couldn't pay me to live in a place like that after law school.

Return to “Law School FAQ”