What kind of computer is best for LS?

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

What computer is best for law school?

13" Macbook
82
36%
13" PC
39
17%
15" Macbook
42
18%
15" PC
42
18%
Desktop PC
2
1%
iMac
0
No votes
Netbook
13
6%
iPad
10
4%
 
Total votes: 230

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Most of the business world is based on Windows, so if you're illiterate, it may prove useful to gain experience/familiarity with Microsoft. Mac's are essentially just a PC (parts-wise) with a different operating system. They have a pretty high class image, which is why they get away with insane price mark ups.

For me personally, I'm looking to get a laptop that could work in the business world as well (when I get there). I'm looking at Lenovo, who primarily market their laptops to small business owners and the like, because: 1) they build extremely solid laptops that last 2) they have a lot of awesome features (the spill resistant keyboards, etc) 3) they're environmentally friendly 4) I've heard great things about their support staff and 5) the company is well respected. I mean, I could go on and on with more but I won't. If you feel like reading, here's a general review of their company http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont ... =hpd00635&

If you've been researching Macs and feel comfortable, then continue on that path for awhile. Mac's run into compatibility issues pretty often from what I hear, and that's a headache I'd prefer not to deal with.

Like I said before, I work in IT (read, dork), so if you have any questions feel free to pm or post here with them. I'd be more than happy to help if you want some.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby forty-two » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 pm

honestabe84 wrote:I see.

I have one last question: What is the difference between a macbook pro and the standard macbook. Is the pro worth it?


It seems like it's a good idea to not cheap out on a your law school computer - If you buy a $1200 computer, that's only $400 a year for something that's going to be you're life for the next three years.


Before the new macbook pros came out I was just going to get a regular macbook and pay for more RAM (Emory says their software is compatible with OSX, but I want to be able to run bootcamp just in case). However, the new ones aren't that much more expensive and they come with more RAM and a 10 hour battery life. I also think the aluminum is a little more durable than the plastic. Also, remember to get a student discount...I think that gives you $100 off. I know they're on the pricier side, but I think the quality and customer service really is worth it. I've had my mac since high school and the genius bar has always been very helpful whenever I've a problem (they updated my software, gave me a new battery...).

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby ogman05 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Havent read through the entire thread but has anyone mentioned thinkpad. Seem pretty reliable and definitely always business appropriate and professional.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:45 pm

ogman05 wrote:Havent read through the entire thread but has anyone mentioned thinkpad. Seem pretty reliable and definitely always business appropriate and professional.


Definitely getting a thinkpad, just not sure which one yet! Leaning toward the 14' edge right now.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby cardinalandgold » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ogman05 wrote:Havent read through the entire thread but has anyone mentioned thinkpad. Seem pretty reliable and definitely always business appropriate and professional.


Definitely getting a thinkpad, just not sure which one yet! Leaning toward the 14' edge right now.

+1 Definitely getting the Thinkpad Edge. Just trying to decide between the 14 and 15" versions.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby beach_terror » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:18 pm

If anyone is thinking Mac, get the warranty: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/18/applecar ... -worth-it/

texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby texas man » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:Mac's run into compatibility issues pretty often from what I hear, and that's a headache I'd prefer not to deal with.


What compatibility issues are you speaking of?


texas man
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby texas man » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 pm

beach_terror wrote:http://guides.macrumors.com/List:Applications_Not_Compatible_with_Leopard


This list is rather outdated (Feb. 2008, shortly after Leopard was released), so many of the entries are not applicable. Also, Macs are now running Snow Leopard since that list was compiled. On another front, any issues as described almost always result from errors by the 3rd party creating the software (e.g., Adobe being lackadaisical in addressing updates for Creative Suite shortly after Leopard was released). And, for software written by Apple, from my experience they regularly and aggressively update their software and OS, tackling any potential issues while also making continual improvements.

In addition, as I have previously mentioned in this thread, you can run a Mac as a native Windows machine with Bootcamp (comes free with the computer), so if there are any Windows-exclusive programs you would like to run (like OneNote), these are also "compatible".

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby ogman05 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:50 am

cardinalandgold wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
ogman05 wrote:Havent read through the entire thread but has anyone mentioned thinkpad. Seem pretty reliable and definitely always business appropriate and professional.


Definitely getting a thinkpad, just not sure which one yet! Leaning toward the 14' edge right now.

+1 Definitely getting the Thinkpad Edge. Just trying to decide between the 14 and 15" versions.



I will also be getting a thinkpad as well. Just not sure what series or model yet. Solid laptops though.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7235
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby beach_terror » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:55 pm

PS, students get a discount with Lenovo! Just discovered the student/alumni portal on their site, and the price is reduced a bit more (25-100$) depending on what computer.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:09 pm

For those interested in the Thinkpad Edge, Lenovo's website is having a sale right now on the 13" and 15" Edge's. They are offering an additional 5% off with Promo Code "USPEARTHDAY". I just ordered mine with my company's discount (I didn't even think about potential student discounts, but luckily for me the student discount at Michigan is the same as the one offered by my company), and the total including tax, shipping, etc was only $630 for the 15" w/ an Intel i3 processor, which should be more than enough for my law school needs. Happy shopping!

Edit: For those whose school's/company's do not offer a discount, Bing Cashback is offering a 10% cashback offer on the Thinkpad Edge as well. Also, if you sign up for the "Bill me later" program at Lenovo, which is their no interest no payments for 6 months financing plan, you get an additional $20 off your purchase.
Last edited by cardinalandgold on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pamcasso
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby pamcasso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
betasteve wrote: Most can only be taken on windows. (Note that it could be taken on a Mac with windows loaded, as described above.)


I didn't know that...so is a Mac even worth the hassle?


Bootcamp is extremely easy to use (although it might be a pain if you have to switch OS' on a very regular basis, which I can't imagine you would have to do in LS) and student copies of Windows are usually super cheap. I'll be buying a new computer in the spring and will definitely buy another Mac.


sorry if this has already been asked, but what are these student copies, and how can i get one?

User avatar
ArtVandelay
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:52 pm

pamcasso wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
betasteve wrote: Most can only be taken on windows. (Note that it could be taken on a Mac with windows loaded, as described above.)


I didn't know that...so is a Mac even worth the hassle?


Bootcamp is extremely easy to use (although it might be a pain if you have to switch OS' on a very regular basis, which I can't imagine you would have to do in LS) and student copies of Windows are usually super cheap. I'll be buying a new computer in the spring and will definitely buy another Mac.


sorry if this has already been asked, but what are these student copies, and how can i get one?


Most schools provide students free copies of popular software: Windows, Office, etc.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby sullidop » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
betasteve wrote: Most can only be taken on windows. (Note that it could be taken on a Mac with windows loaded, as described above.)


sorry if this has already been asked, but what are these student copies, and how can i get one?


Most schools provide students free copies of popular software: Windows, Office, etc.
[/quote]

Yup, they may not give you a media copy, but they'll have it to download online or install at their IT center.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby eth3n » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:04 pm

I learned this the hard way...I did absurd research to get exactly what netbook I wanted, wasted months searching for it.

Hate using the damn thing at school, pay the money for a mac (ugh i hate saying this) or if you can find a quality pc laptop its worth the money. I only use my netbook for taking notes.

RickyMack
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby RickyMack » Fri May 07, 2010 1:12 am

just to get it out of the way i'm a sony fanboy. i have a ps3 (and all other iterations), a psp, going to get a sony cybershot hv5, and i have a sony vaio i've been using for 4 years (i really appreciate i can use my memory stick duo on all of these products, proprietary media ftw). also my bro works at sony and as a result he was able to get me a contract gig there doing quality control on notebooks that were sent in for service (i've seen everything from pets urinating on units to units being infested with roaches).

personally the gameplan was to go netbook + notebook for exam taking + custom built desktop. i've been looking at netbooks for the past few months and have just now started looking at exam notebooks. right now i'm looking at the new VAIO Y series, which is sony's first foray into intel's ultra low voltage platform. looking at the reviews this paragraph really caught my attention.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Sony-VA ... z0nDNjg0oX

"An interesting design choice seen on this machine is the inset keyboard. This is the first ultraportable we have seen where the keyboard is set a bit lower than the palm rest and the speaker bar above they keys. The point is to make the tops of the keys, and not the base of the keys, flush with the palm rest. It's a subtle change, but wow, does it make a difference in comfort. We had no issues typing for hours on the well-spaced chicklet style keyboard, and right away we noticed how much more enjoyable this spacing was to use. We're guessing that more PC makers will pick up on this; it's hard to notice at a glance, but you'll immediately appreciate the added comfort once you take to the keys."

it kind of makes me rethink purchasing a netbook with the exam notebook and desktop. with a standard battery it's supposed to approximately weigh 3.9 lbs (13.3 inch screen). the only other issues are that while they advertise an 8 hr battery life it clocks in around a little over 6 hours, while other CULV notebooks clock in 10 hours (while advertising 10) and it has a glossy screen =(. what's also notable is that it has no optical disc drive (which is why it's light), though i contacted my school's IT guy when looking into netbooks and he said the lack of ODD wasn't a problem.

the base model starts at 799, but with the family hook up i'll be able to purchase it for 649. i'm thinking it's a solid choice for those interested in non mac notebooks, it does fine watching movies, but is horrible for gaming. as for picking up microsoft office:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

a link for microsoft office ultimate 2007 with a student discount (you pay $60). all you need is your @edu email and it was a LOT cheaper than what my school was offering for it.

User avatar
Luis Gomez
Posts: 429
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm

when u get your laptop try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI5MDcwNDg5

User avatar
inchoate_con
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby inchoate_con » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Did you ever get one? I impulsively order a Tablet PC last night, but I'm having second thoughts. Using OneNote and Handwriting recognition seem worth the extra $$. I'm concerned that they get too hot.

IHaveDietMoxie wrote:although its completely overboard, I really want this lenovo tablet convertible thing.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1282

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby bk1 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:56 pm

I don't think any of the tablets are up to snuff yet.

I desperately wish they were but I am definitely holding off until one of them posts a lot of solid reviews.

User avatar
inchoate_con
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby inchoate_con » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:07 pm

bk1 wrote:I don't think any of the tablets are up to snuff yet.

I desperately wish they were but I am definitely holding off until one of them posts a lot of solid reviews.


Yea, I totally agree, but I've been saying that for the last 5 years... TIme for me to pull the trigger; although, I wish I could have tried it out for a week or so. I guess if it sucks, it's just an over priced laptop. Anyhow, I'll find out tomorrow, love that amazon.com prime shipping: $3.99 for overnight.

I think this was posted, but site has a decent forum about using them: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ and YouTube has a few serious computer geeks demonstating their functionality.

Anyhow, I got a "HP TouchSmart tm2-2057sb" for under a grand.

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Here's are the reasons I think many people, including myself, are leaning towards Macs:

-People with PCs seem to often have a lot of problems with their laptops. Mac users seem to have a lot less.
-Many people don't know anything about computers, so they don't know which are reliable and durable (probably the most important features when shopping for a laptop). People do know, however, that Macs are quality computers.
-You always hear people complain about their PCs (Dells, HPs, etc.). You rarely ever hear a Mac user say, "I wish I never bought this computer. It's terrible." Almost uniformly, Mac users say that they love their computer and will never go back to a PC.
-People don't have a problem paying a premium for a Mac, because your computer is going to be your new best friend for the next three years. You will be using it for hours each day, so this is a purchase that you don't want to cheap out on. If you're going to skimp on something, let it be one of the other many purchases that you will be making for law school (i.e. a desk, chair, TV, Blueray player, etc.)


While I'm seriously considering buying a Mac, I do have some concerns:

-I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of using a computer that is not geared towards my school's operating system the way PCs are.
-I hate to spend a grand on a computer if I can ACTUALLY get a PC of EQUAL quality.
-I'm concerned that more and more hackers are paying more attention to Apple now that its market has expanded.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:40 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Here's are the reasons I think many people, including myself, are leaning towards Macs:

-People with PCs seem to often have a lot of problems with their laptops. Mac users seem to have a lot less.
-Many people don't know anything about computers, so they don't know which are reliable and durable (probably the most important features when shopping for a laptop). People do know, however, that Macs are quality computers.
-You always hear people complain about their PCs (Dells, HPs, etc.). You rarely ever hear a Mac user say, "I wish I never bought this computer. It's terrible." Almost uniformly, Mac users say that they love their computer and will never go back to a PC.
-People don't have a problem paying a premium for a Mac, because your computer is going to be your new best friend for the next three years. You will be using it for hours each day, so this is a purchase that you don't want to cheap out on. If you're going to skimp on something, let it be one of the other many purchases that you will be making for law school (i.e. a desk, chair, TV, Blueray player, etc.)


While I'm seriously considering buying a Mac, I do have some concerns:

-I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of using a computer that is not geared towards my school's operating system the way PCs are.
-I hate to spend a grand on a computer if I can ACTUALLY get a PC of EQUAL quality.
-I'm concerned that more and more hackers are paying more attention to Apple now that its market has expanded.


Macs are idiot-proof. PC's are more complicated but have more options. Most people are idiots. Are you? Choose accordingly.

GettingReady2010
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby GettingReady2010 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:44 pm

bk1 wrote:
GettingReady2010 wrote:Here's are the reasons I think many people, including myself, are leaning towards Macs:

-People with PCs seem to often have a lot of problems with their laptops. Mac users seem to have a lot less.
-Many people don't know anything about computers, so they don't know which are reliable and durable (probably the most important features when shopping for a laptop). People do know, however, that Macs are quality computers.
-You always hear people complain about their PCs (Dells, HPs, etc.). You rarely ever hear a Mac user say, "I wish I never bought this computer. It's terrible." Almost uniformly, Mac users say that they love their computer and will never go back to a PC.
-People don't have a problem paying a premium for a Mac, because your computer is going to be your new best friend for the next three years. You will be using it for hours each day, so this is a purchase that you don't want to cheap out on. If you're going to skimp on something, let it be one of the other many purchases that you will be making for law school (i.e. a desk, chair, TV, Blueray player, etc.)


While I'm seriously considering buying a Mac, I do have some concerns:

-I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of using a computer that is not geared towards my school's operating system the way PCs are.
-I hate to spend a grand on a computer if I can ACTUALLY get a PC of EQUAL quality.
-I'm concerned that more and more hackers are paying more attention to Apple now that its market has expanded.


Macs are idiot-proof. PC's are more complicated but have more options. Most people are idiots. Are you? Choose accordingly.


Not an idiot, but I don't know anything about computers. All I know is how to use the things that I need - Microsoft Word and the Internet.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18404
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:Not an idiot, but I don't know anything about computers. All I know is how to use the things that I need - Microsoft Word and the Internet.


I meant idiot as lack of computer knowledge. If all you are doing is surfing the internet and word processing, why pay for the premium of a Mac unless you prefer OS X?


If you like OS X get a Mac, if you like Windows, get a Windows machine. If you are worried about the law school software problem, get a Windows machine.




Return to “Law School FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests