What kind of computer is best for LS? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)

What computer is best for law school?

13" Macbook
36%
13" PC
17%
15" Macbook
18%
15" PC
18%
Desktop PC
1%
iMac
No votes
Netbook
6%
iPad
4%

Total votes: 230

sibley

Gold

Re: What kind of computer is best for LS?

Post by sibley » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:37 pm

don't be mean... be nice.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:48 pm

one of those little netbooks. they're so cheap and portable and they have amazing battery life (for a PC, at least)... i think i'm just going to keep my regular computer and keep it for music/movies/casual use and get a netbook for class since they don't have a lot of storage or a cd/dvd drive.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:39 am

rw2264 wrote:one of those little netbooks. they're so cheap and portable and they have amazing battery life (for a PC, at least)... i think i'm just going to keep my regular computer and keep it for music/movies/casual use and get a netbook for class since they don't have a lot of storage or a cd/dvd drive.
netbooks are far too tiny to read

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 am

Anthing less than Jaguar and you won't have the computational power necessary.

--LinkRemoved--

IHaveDietMoxie

Bronze

Post by IHaveDietMoxie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:21 am

although its completely overboard, I really want this lenovo tablet convertible thing.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1282

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Connelly

Bronze

Post by Connelly » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 pm

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:What price range? 4gbs of ram is a lot for a notebook if you're not playing games. I'm running 7 pro 64bit with 2gbs, and there's no lag at all. Why do you want 4? The reason I ask is because 4gb will be a decent price bump.
It will be acting as my law school laptop and as my only computer. My wife does a lot of photo editing and creation with the Adobe suite so it is nice to have multiple programs open (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) without having serious problems.

EDIT: And I am looking at the 900-1200 price range.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

IB Apple Fanbois

shit, too late

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am

This is the most recent computer post I could find. Has anyone gotten a tablet pc for law school or currently use one?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Katerina

Bronze

Post by Katerina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:51 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:I'm not gaming, just looking for a good, reliable machine. I'm definitely going with Mac though; I've had way too many 4-hour phone calls with Dell and Microsoft to be willing to buy any more of their products.
+1. Screw you, Blue-Screen-Of-Death!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 am

So, this is interesting- just went to ASD at LSU and they gave out a FAQ from the IT department that had a questions about whether or not a student should get a Mac or a PC. While they did not go so far as to say one or the other, the did say that they probably wouldn't be able to help you with many computer problems since Macs are a closed system. The long and short- the IT department can help with a good number of PC problems, for Mac problems- in many cases, you'll be on your own (and have to use Apple's expensive IT team). So you may want to look into what systems your school's IT department recommends (and Dell often gives good discounts for students) and which it can help you with if you have a problem.

Regardless, no matter what system you have, you should be backing up your files.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am

JessicaTiger wrote:So, this is interesting- just went to ASD at LSU and they gave out a FAQ from the IT department that had a questions about whether or not a student should get a Mac or a PC. While they did not go so far as to say one or the other, the did say that they probably wouldn't be able to help you with many computer problems since Macs are a closed system. The long and short- the IT department can help with a good number of PC problems, for Mac problems- in many cases, you'll be on your own (and have to use Apple's expensive IT team). So you may want to look into what systems your school's IT department recommends (and Dell often gives good discounts for students) and which it can help you with if you have a problem.

Regardless, no matter what system you have, you should be backing up your files.
It should also be noted that Macs have FAR less problems then PCs... Macs OS has yet to have a virus infiltrate since it's creation, and there is no reason to think that shall change in the future...

Having both, I LOVE my 13in mac book pro... once you go Mac, you never go back...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:So, this is interesting- just went to ASD at LSU and they gave out a FAQ from the IT department that had a questions about whether or not a student should get a Mac or a PC. While they did not go so far as to say one or the other, the did say that they probably wouldn't be able to help you with many computer problems since Macs are a closed system. The long and short- the IT department can help with a good number of PC problems, for Mac problems- in many cases, you'll be on your own (and have to use Apple's expensive IT team). So you may want to look into what systems your school's IT department recommends (and Dell often gives good discounts for students) and which it can help you with if you have a problem.

It should also be noted that Macs have FAR less problems then PCs... Macs OS has yet to have a virus infiltrate since it's creation, and there is no reason to think that shall change in the future...

Having both, I LOVE my 13in mac book pro... once you go Mac, you never go back...
Mac's have viruses, but not as many. I don't really love or hate Mac OS, but I certainly wouldn't pay the huge premium apple demands for it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:

Mac's have viruses, but not as many. I don't really love or hate Mac OS, but I certainly wouldn't pay the huge premium apple demands for it.
ok the first Mac OS's had a few.. but since Mac OS X, none.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:22 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:

http://news.techworld.com/security/5392 ... its-apple/

As OSX got more popular it was targeted more often.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

Desert Fox wrote: http://news.techworld.com/security/5392 ... its-apple/

I'm one of those that believe if you have to approve it to be downloaded to your comp then it really isn't a virus.. more of a trojan horse... but I tip my cap to you sir.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote: It should also be noted that Macs have FAR less problems then PCs... Macs OS has yet to have a virus infiltrate since it's creation, and there is no reason to think that shall change in the future...

http://news.techworld.com/security/5392 ... its-apple/

Not surprisingly, Macs are being targeted more often. Macs were one of the primary topics at DEFCON last year (hacker conference in Vegas). While Macs can still trumpet that they have less viruses because they do not have an open source code, less anti-virus programs are written for them; therefore, should your computer get a nasty virus, you have less chance of being able to get it off without rebuilding your harddrive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Just added a poll.

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:43 pm

For Macs get the 13" Mac Book Pro + 24" LED Cinema Display + Keyboard and Mouse

For PCs there are really two options
go with the Dell Latitude 6400(14") or Latitude 3200(13") with E-Port Docking Station + Monitor +Keyboard and Mouse
or
go with the Lenovo T410s with docking station + monitor + keyboard and mouse.

Basically stay away from 15" laptops and make sure you have the ability to easily extend your laptop to a monitor(preferably 24"+). Y'all will thank me later.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:34 am

i cant believe a thinkpad isnt a option the poll.

get a thinkpad. end of thread.

thekingiv

New

Post by thekingiv » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 am

am060459 wrote:i cant believe a thinkpad isnt a option the poll.

What's so good about them? I know next to nothing about Lenovo.

I've had a Mac for the past 2 years and loved it. Just got a new MacBook about 6 months ago that I will leave at home with my wife and I'm going to get a new computer. I don't think another Mac is necessary as all I'll really be using it for is internet and word processing. Lenovo is the right pick for that?

Also, I'd love to learn more about the OneNote application that was mentioned in this thread. I read up about it online, but would like to hear what people think from experience.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:34 am

Apple just released the updated MacBook Pros today. That sealed the deal for me.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

thorntll wrote:Apple just released the updated MacBook Pros today. That sealed the deal for me.
It wouldn't have killed them to upgrade to the i3 processor for the 13" macbook pro. They really didn't do shit for that model.

am060459

Silver

Post by am060459 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:00 pm

thekingiv wrote:

I've had a Mac for the past 2 years and loved it. Just got a new MacBook about 6 months ago that I will leave at home with my wife and I'm going to get a new computer. I don't think another Mac is necessary as all I'll really be using it for is internet and word processing. Lenovo is the right pick for that?

Also, I'd love to learn more about the OneNote application that was mentioned in this thread. I read up about it online, but would like to hear what people think from experience.
the thinkpad was originally from IBM but it was sold to Lenovo. Thinkpads are very reliable. a friend of mine is still using his thinkpad that he bought over 5 years ago. the services, quailty and reliabilty of the thinkpad are reasons why a lot of businessman use it.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:03 pm

am060459 wrote:
thekingiv wrote:

the thinkpad was originally from IBM but it was sold to Lenovo. Thinkpads are very reliable. a friend of mine is still using his thinkpad that he bought over 5 years ago. the services, quailty and reliabilty of the thinkpad are reasons why a lot of businessman use it.
In my shopping, I've seen a lot of Lenovo Ideapads. Is there a difference?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”