what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accepted to a T-14? Forum

(Please Ask Questions and Answer Questions)
Marionberry

Silver

Re: what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accepted to a T-14?

Post by Marionberry » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:53 pm

firemed wrote:
Marionberry wrote: Also, this thread is dumb.

+1

Also, I like your new tar.
Thanks! I loved Bloom County growing up, though in retrospect I don't know if I got most of the jokes.

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Re: what is the lowest lsat score ever to be accept to a T-14?

Post by NikaneOkie » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:43 am

dr123 wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Yale accepted someone with a 152 last year.
I think it's really strange that they'll accept a 152, but they won't accept below a 3.4...
There has to be a statistical reason for that, but I can't imagine what it is.
Im sure anyone getting in with <160 probably has some crazy softs or there parents donate millions to the school. Hell, I bet you could get into Yale with a 2.5/145 if your parents were big enough donors
I don't think so.
They publish the lowest LSAT and lowest GPA they accept every year, and last year it was a 3.4, but I'm pretty sure the lowest LSAT was in the 150s.
Maybe it's their opinion that the LSAT is just a very good predictor of the type of student/lawyer/classmate you will be, and one's GPA is. That could be fair, although I imagine you would find yourself struggling with the school to school subjectivity of the GPA.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:19 am

Bartlebee06 wrote:What ever Bush or Obama scored on LSAT, neither is fit to be President. What a pair of shmucks.
I believe that the smartest people in the country (read: best fit to be President) know what an absolute shitstorm the job is and avoid it like hell.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:21 am

blink wrote:
Bartlebee06 wrote:What ever Bush or Obama scored on LSAT, neither is fit to be President. What a pair of shmucks.
I believe that the smartest people in the country (read: best fit to be President) know what an absolute shitstorm the job is and avoid it like hell.
Smart doesn't mean wise, and smart doesn't mean effective. I know some smart people I wouldn't trust to run a McDonalds.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:40 am

Love how this thread derailed.

For all of you think Obama is brilliant, may I ask what exactly indicates his brilliance?

He's a good speaker, but he is not a great speaker and most of his speeches lack the substance of the great orators and are full of straw men. I don't think he was ever published in the law review, and his two books aren't exactly masterpieces. Being president never qualified anyone as smart. He was accepted at harvard, but law school admissions were not as competitive as they are now, plus he is a minority canidate, with a very interesting background. Magna Cum Laude may make you a smart person, but not brilliant. His legacy will be that he was the first black president and a shitty president....he is no Oliver Wendall Holmes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Commonwealthman

New

Post by Commonwealthman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:47 am

(from earlier)
How do you know Bush was rejected from UT?
It's been reported before:

That fall, as his father raced Bentsen for the Senate seat, both Bush and Ensenat, who had already entered law school at the University of Houston, applied for admission to the University of Texas law school. Both were rejected, though Ensenat later became a lawyer. (Washington Post, July 28, 1999)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/po ... 072899.htm

Bush's friend Ensenat recounts it in Bill Minutaglio, First Son: George W. Bush and the Bush Family Dynasty (1999), p. 178.

----
I don't think he was ever published in the law review
TORT LAW – PRENATAL INJURIES – SUPREME COURT OF ILLINOIS REFUSES TO RECOGNIZE CAUSE OF ACTION BROUGHT BY FETUS AGAINST ITS MOTHER FOR UNINTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF PRENATAL INJURIES. — Title of Barack Obama’s unsigned student note for the Harvard Law Review (1990), published a month before he became president of The Review
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/08/22/une ... f-a-fetus/

This took ~0.5 seconds to find.

(Also - you didn't think that the editor of a top ten law review had a note published? ...)
Magna Cum Laude may make you a smart person, but not brilliant.
Pretty sure going from losing a House primary (2000) to being elected President of the United States (2008) in eight years demonstrates political brilliance. Defeating the Clintons in an election is not a task for the less than brilliant.

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:23 am

To the OP: No idea, but he must have been wearing some really nice pants.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:46 am

Ignatius Reilly wrote:Love how this thread derailed.

For all of you think Obama is brilliant, may I ask what exactly indicates his brilliance?

He's a good speaker, but he is not a great speaker and most of his speeches lack the substance of the great orators and are full of straw men. I don't think he was ever published in the law review, and his two books aren't exactly masterpieces. Being president never qualified anyone as smart. He was accepted at harvard, but law school admissions were not as competitive as they are now, plus he is a minority canidate, with a very interesting background. Magna Cum Laude may make you a smart person, but not brilliant. His legacy will be that he was the first black president and a shitty president....he is no Oliver Wendall Holmes.
QFtehlulz. I hope you are aware that Holmes was, in fact, never president? Also, your mention of straw men is ironic given that your entire post is based on one.

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:00 pm

Commonwealthman wrote: TORT LAW – PRENATAL INJURIES – SUPREME COURT OF ILLINOIS REFUSES TO RECOGNIZE CAUSE OF ACTION BROUGHT BY FETUS AGAINST ITS MOTHER FOR UNINTENTIONAL INFLICTION OF PRENATAL INJURIES. — Title of Barack Obama’s unsigned student note for the Harvard Law Review (1990), published a month before he became president of The Review
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/08/22/une ... f-a-fetus/

This took ~0.5 seconds to find.

(Also - you didn't think that the editor of a top ten law review had a note published? ...).

That looks like a real great piece of legal scholarship. Obama failed as an academic.
Commonwealthman wrote:
Pretty sure going from losing a House primary (2000) to being elected President of the United States (2008) in eight years demonstrates political brilliance. Defeating the Clintons in an election is not a task for the less than brilliant.
Very few people argue that he is politically brilliant, rather they argue that he possesses a transcending brilliance that touches on all issues be they economic, legal, or philosophical. Besides, I'm not exactly sure what political brillianace entails....If Palin won the presidency in 2012, would she be considered brilliant? Obama won because he was young, black, and the left is dominated by their emotions.

sundance95....i was referencing Holmes in terms of Obama's scholarship. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how Obama is a professor and thus a genius.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Nice try, Donald Trump.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun May 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Ignatius Reilly wrote:
Very few people argue that he is politically brilliant, rather they argue that he possesses a transcending brilliance that touches on all issues be they economic, legal, or philosophical. Besides, I'm not exactly sure what political brillianace entails....If Palin won the presidency in 2012, would she be considered brilliant? Obama won because he was young, black, and the left is dominated by their emotions.

sundance95....i was referencing Holmes in terms of Obama's scholarship. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how Obama is a professor and thus a genius.
If your aunt had balls, what would she be again? I like Obama, though I hate politics and most democrats. What can a guy do, other than go to one of the foremost law schools in the country and excel, to prove his brilliance?

I do think, in fact, that he's brilliant. He wrote his books, especially his second, while he was busy with campaigns and the Senate, and being the young, sought after Democrat phenom. And yes, unless his books were ghostwritten, they do indicate a very broad knowledge and experience base, clear and structured ideas, and a high level of articulation. He's not the only brilliant person in the world, and he's not necessarily more brilliant than Clinton or Bush 41 or any other random politician. But to act like Columbia+Harvard+Law Review+Magna Cum Laude and eventually POTUS indicates nothing but a fortuitous series of circumstances for a guy with an above average brain, means that you're really not planning to argue this logically.

czelede

Silver

Post by czelede » Mon May 02, 2011 9:22 am

delusional wrote:
Ignatius Reilly wrote:

If your aunt had balls, what would she be again? I like Obama, though I hate politics and most democrats. What can a guy do, other than go to one of the foremost law schools in the country and excel, to prove his brilliance?

I do think, in fact, that he's brilliant. He wrote his books, especially his second, while he was busy with campaigns and the Senate, and being the young, sought after Democrat phenom. And yes, unless his books were ghostwritten, they do indicate a very broad knowledge and experience base, clear and structured ideas, and a high level of articulation. He's not the only brilliant person in the world, and he's not necessarily more brilliant than Clinton or Bush 41 or any other random politician. But to act like Columbia+Harvard+Law Review+Magna Cum Laude and eventually POTUS indicates nothing but a fortuitous series of circumstances for a guy with an above average brain, means that you're really not planning to argue this logically.
+1

I've never heard anyone trying to argue that winning the presidency = brilliant (cough Bush #2 - and I supported him in '04).

And also, I doubt that anyone (sane) would label Palin as brilliant, presidency (God forbid) or not.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon May 02, 2011 9:52 am

Uh, also dude taught at Univ. of Chicago Law. If you're teaching at one of the country's most prestigious law schools, you're probably pretty smart. Or course, we are feeding the troll at this point, but I felt that was worth pointing out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon May 02, 2011 9:56 am

I've never heard anyone trying to argue that winning the presidency = brilliant (cough Bush #2 - and I supported him in '04).

And also, I doubt that anyone (sane) would label Palin as brilliant, presidency (God forbid) or not.
I think you make a really good point here. There are really 3 different discussions going on...(1)Brilliance/Intelligence (2)Ability to win the Presidency (3)Performing well as president.

I support Obama as the POTUS, but I have never agreed with his policy/politics, and barring some major unforseen changes in his agenda, I probably never will be. This has never stopped me from admitting that the guy is clearly incredibly intelligent. Obviously he won the presidency. This certainly does not mean that he's performing the job well. I have charmed my way into several jobs for which I was underqualified, and I too performed questionably.
W, on the other hand, while also clearly had some academic success as well, and who I supported and I think is underrated as a President, was not very articulate, and perhaps less intelligent but used his resources well, surrounded himself with good people, a (potential) recipe for success.
Palin....well, she's a different story. I don't think I will ever really know my opinion on her because I cannot stand the sound of her voice for more than 2 seconds.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm

TheFactor wrote:

Does simply crossing this out mean that you think Obama is in fact brilliant and/or doing a good job as POTUS, but you don't have logical answers for the challenges posed in the above quote?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:45 pm

This thread sucks balls.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Capitol A wrote:
TheFactor wrote:

Does simply crossing this out mean that you think Obama is in fact brilliant and/or doing a good job as POTUS, but you don't have logical answers for the challenges posed in the above quote?
lol at there being any challenges in the above quote

I crossed it out because it makes zero sense and is riddled with factual inaccuracies. Also, I have no clue what you were trying to accomplish with the Oliver Wendall Holmes reference, but it looks like you think he was one of our past presidents.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Tue May 03, 2011 1:20 pm

chimp wrote:This thread sucks balls.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Tue May 03, 2011 1:30 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Seriously, people need to stop posting in here so it won't pop up on my "view your posts" anymore.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm

"This thread is dumb." -Oliver Wendall Holmes
Last edited by Marionberry on Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue May 03, 2011 1:43 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
TheFactor wrote:

lol at there being any challenges in the above quote

I crossed it out because it makes zero sense and is riddled with factual inaccuracies. Also, I have no clue what you were trying to accomplish with the Oliver Wendall Holmes reference, but it looks like you think he was one of our past presidents.
Wasn't my quote, so i don't know what the OW Holmes thing was about either.
Challenges in bold.
RE: factual inaccuracies, I'm not sure which statements you believe to be inaccurate, but even if there are inaccuracies, that doesn't make the entire post worthless. Nor does it completely negate the fact that there are some solid points present.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue May 03, 2011 1:44 pm

firemed wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Seriously, people need to stop posting in here so it won't pop up on my "view your posts" anymore.
Like this?

Sorry, had to do it. I thought this thread was dead too, now I'm gettin sucked back in to the pointless discussion.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 pm

How about this - after you manage to get onto a top 10 Law Review and then manage to get onto the managing board, let alone become the editor in chief, of said Law Review, then you can come back and discuss the President's intelligence.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Tue May 03, 2011 1:55 pm

Obama kille Bin Laden = Auto 180

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student”