Official Senioritis / Quitting Thread - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
bitter_melon

Bronze

Re: Official Senioritis / Quitting Thread - Class of 2020

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:55 pm

The responsible part of me thinks that I should hang on until mid-late July and make as much as I can, but the other part of me is like, why work the extra month, early June is fine. I think that I might ask to reduce to a four day work week starting in early June, but then that would make me even less motivated... senioritis is hard, but income is nice.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:13 pm

bitter_melon wrote:The responsible part of me thinks that I should hang on until mid-late July and make as much as I can, but the other part of me is like, why work the extra month, early June is fine. I think that I might ask to reduce to a four day work week starting in early June, but then that would make me even less motivated... senioritis is hard, but income is nice.
very true
maybe there's some way to change up the work you're doing?

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:17 pm

renc56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:The responsible part of me thinks that I should hang on until mid-late July and make as much as I can, but the other part of me is like, why work the extra month, early June is fine. I think that I might ask to reduce to a four day work week starting in early June, but then that would make me even less motivated... senioritis is hard, but income is nice.
very true
I like the work that I'm doing, that's not really the issue. The issue is that in four months, I'm moving across the country and pretty much devoting the rest of my life, or at least a considerable chunk of it, to legal work, so I'd rather take the time to not work and go do fun stuff while I have a chance and the weather is nice. I've been in this office for almost two years now, the longest that I've ever worked anywhere, and I'm ready to get out.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:02 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
very true
I like the work that I'm doing, that's not really the issue. The issue is that in four months, I'm moving across the country and pretty much devoting the rest of my life, or at least a considerable chunk of it, to legal work, so I'd rather take the time to not work and go do fun stuff while I have a chance and the weather is nice. I've been in this office for almost two years now, the longest that I've ever worked anywhere, and I'm ready to get out.
I feel this on every level. It's almost like everything I care about = law school and anything else doesn't matter

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:16 pm

renc56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
very true
I feel this on every level. It's almost like everything I care about = law school and anything else doesn't matter
It just is what it is. I've been working full time plus a side gig since pretty much the moment that I left college (at multiple jobs), and I've been living at home rent free the entire time. I have substantial savings, so I'm pretty much trying to negotiate with the schools that I'm still between to the point at which I've decided that the debt burden would be acceptable, and then I'm gonna choose an end date.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:49 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
very true
It just is what it is. I've been working full time plus a side gig since pretty much the moment that I left college (at multiple jobs), and I've been living at home rent free the entire time. I have substantial savings, so I'm pretty much trying to negotiate with the schools that I'm still between to the point at which I've decided that the debt burden would be acceptable, and then I'm gonna choose an end date.
Makes sense. I would weigh your options (to quit or not to quit) but at least it's good knowing that you don't have as many costs to deal with right now.

I'm coping with hulu, learning everything about the law school, and reaching out to lawyers who went to the law school I decided on.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm

just wanted to add that work today is hectic af and people are crying from stress and I want to quit now more than ever before

that is all

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:53 pm

chandhi wrote:just wanted to add that work today is hectic af and people are crying from stress and I want to quit now more than ever before

that is all

Do you work in an emergency room?

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:58 pm

renc56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
renc56 wrote:
very true
Makes sense. I would weigh your options (to quit or not to quit) but at least it's good knowing that you don't have as many costs to deal with right now.

I'm coping with hulu, learning everything about the law school, and reaching out to lawyers who went to the law school I decided on.
Well yes, it is nice knowing that if I quit, I will only lose out on future income, I will not eat into my savings all that much because my current cost of living is so low.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:01 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
chandhi wrote:just wanted to add that work today is hectic af and people are crying from stress and I want to quit now more than ever before

that is all

Do you work in an emergency room?
no

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Another daily struggle between "I don't want to burn any bridges" and "How long could I get away with answering every email 'I do what I want' without getting fired?"

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:09 pm

Watababe wrote:Another daily struggle between "I don't want to burn any bridges" and "How long could I get away with answering every email 'I do what I want' without getting fired?"
:lol: +180

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm gonna be the Oprah of this thread when it comes to giving advice about when to quit your job:

YOU quit your job now!

AND YOU quit your job now!

EVERYBODY QUIT YOUR JOB NOW!!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:55 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:I'm gonna be the Oprah of this thread when it comes to giving advice about when to quit your job:

YOU quit your job now!

hahhaa...I almost walked out a few weeks ago because I got so pissed off at a coworker but my boss was so much in my corner about it I couldn't (plus boss has been super supportive of this whole process so I don't want to leave her in a lurch). I was originally going to peace out mid-May but my parents convinced me I needed to stay a little longer than that to save money and then it was June 30th but boss is out that day so I don't want that so I'm staying long enough to help through the July beginning of month tasks (busiest time for my job) but leaving before I can be forced to help with the quarterly federal filings.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm

guys, you should just intentionally get fired so that you can go on unemployment till school.

chandhi

Gold

Post by chandhi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:14 pm

jjcorvino wrote:guys, you should just intentionally get fired so that you can go on unemployment till school.
Easily the best advice I've seen on TLS

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:23 pm

Watababe wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm gonna be the Oprah of this thread when it comes to giving advice about when to quit your job:

YOU quit your job now!

hahhaa...I almost walked out a few weeks ago because I got so pissed off at a coworker but my boss was so much in my corner about it I couldn't (plus boss has been super supportive of this whole process so I don't want to leave her in a lurch). I was originally going to peace out mid-May but my parents convinced me I needed to stay a little longer than that to save money and then it was June 30th but boss is out that day so I don't want that so I'm staying long enough to help through the July beginning of month tasks (busiest time for my job) but leaving before I can be forced to help with the quarterly federal filings.
If you were gonna do June 30 then def make it early July so your health insurance runs through end of July.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:46 pm

In. Putting in my 2 weeks second week of June then packing my bags for Vietnam and Cambodia. Can't come soon enough

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

Yeah. I think that I'm going to make June 30 my last day.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:21 am

jjcorvino wrote:guys, you should just intentionally get fired so that you can go on unemployment till school.
lol genius

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 am

I keep getting new projects to start and am receiving even less support than usual on finishing things. Like, I'm not the one who is going to be left holding the bag when I leave because I'm the one who is leaving! This is not going to go smoothly for anyone and I feel like I'm the only one who realizes it right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am

guybourdin wrote:I keep getting new projects to start and am receiving even less support than usual on finishing things. Like, I'm not the one who is going to be left holding the bag when I leave because I'm the one who is leaving! This is not going to go smoothly for anyone and I feel like I'm the only one who realizes it right now.
I've never understood why, but this has been my experience every single time that I've given notice that I was moving on to another job. It's like, suddenly they realize that I'll be gone soon so they try to get me to finish as much as I can, even though I've already started to mentally check out, and if I don't finish something someone is going to get f'd over, and that person won't be me.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon May 01, 2017 11:50 am

July 1 can't come soon enough. Can't wait to quit my job lol

Walliums

Silver

Post by Walliums » Mon May 01, 2017 12:13 pm

You are all making me jealous again of future me, who will be quitting in ten months.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon May 01, 2017 12:57 pm

guybourdin wrote:I keep getting new projects to start and am receiving even less support than usual on finishing things. Like, I'm not the one who is going to be left holding the bag when I leave because I'm the one who is leaving! This is not going to go smoothly for anyone and I feel like I'm the only one who realizes it right now.
And how about those projects that are due before you're going to be gone and you're generally like "yeah ok I'll do...something I guess" because that's where I'm at with some things I have to have done later this month

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”