University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:46 am

Watababe wrote:Anyone else get the invite to the Chicago happy hour and if so are you going?
Yes, I think I'm going!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:Anyone else get the invite to the Chicago happy hour and if so are you going?
Yes, I think I'm going!
Got the invite, but unfortunately I live too far away to reasonably attend. Let us know how it goes!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:29 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Yes, I think I'm going!
Sweet me too!!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:13 pm

I was digging around the Illinois Law site and came across Fall 2017 course materials: https://pages.law.illinois.edu/courses/course-materials

Obviously we don't know which classes we'll be assigned to yet, but it's kind of fun to see which books we might need. Also overwhelming

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:02 pm

carasrook wrote:I was digging around the Illinois Law site and came across Fall 2017 course materials: https://pages.law.illinois.edu/courses/course-materials

Obviously we don't know which classes we'll be assigned to yet, but it's kind of fun to see which books we might need. Also overwhelming

This was traumatizing honestly :shock:

But for real I am so excited! And also feeling really on top of things right now like more so than I have been? I've uploaded my immunization records (although I need to get a tetanus shot which almost made me go "How badly do I ACTUALLY want to go to law school?"), did student loan entrance counseling and signed the MPN (I do not remember it being this involved 7 years ago when I was doing this for undergrad), finished up accepting my financial aid awards, and ordered a copy of my transcript to be sent. This Friday I apartment hunt. It's getting real friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:I was digging around the Illinois Law site and came across Fall 2017 course materials: https://pages.law.illinois.edu/courses/course-materials

But for real I am so excited! And also feeling really on top of things right now like more so than I have been? I've uploaded my immunization records (although I need to get a tetanus shot which almost made me go "How badly do I ACTUALLY want to go to law school?"), did student loan entrance counseling and signed the MPN (I do not remember it being this involved 7 years ago when I was doing this for undergrad), finished up accepting my financial aid awards, and ordered a copy of my transcript to be sent. This Friday I apartment hunt. It's getting real friends.
I got denied from Grad PLUS loan due to my atrocious credit history. I needed it to cover the fees but it's not the end of the world, I'll get by. On the plus side, that's $7k less debt (plus interest) in JD loan. The hardest part will be living under very tight budget with no source of income for three years when I've lived for almost a decade (yes, I am 30+) with a stable salary and enough disposable income to splurge every once in a while. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to unspoil myself and get back into college lifestyle (in terms of thriftiness).

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:15 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:

I got denied from Grad PLUS loan due to my atrocious credit history. I needed it to cover the fees but it's not the end of the world, I'll get by. On the plus side, that's $7k less debt (plus interest) in JD loan. The hardest part will be living under very tight budget with no source of income for three years when I've lived for almost a decade (yes, I am 30+) with a stable salary and enough disposable income to splurge every once in a while. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to unspoil myself and get back into college lifestyle (in terms of thriftiness).
I decided to decline my PLUS loan since it's small and I'd rather go ahead and dip into my savings to than have that bit of debt at a higher interest rate. The whole "having to live on a strict budget" thing is starting to freak me out. I've been out of college for 3 years and haven't had to worry that much money-wise. I'm kinda glad I'm ending up in a college town so at least the food will be cheaper/specials will actually seem like specials as opposed to currently where I live in Chicago and everything is expensive.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Watababe wrote:

I had to get a tetanus shot too :( they did it at walgreens within 10 minutes which was nice, but my arm hurts like a bitch lol
Agreed, shit's getting a little too real but I'm excited :)

law444

New

Post by law444 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:04 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

I had to get a tetanus shot too :( they did it at walgreens within 10 minutes which was nice, but my arm hurts like a bitch lol
Yeah I have to get a shot too. I was really surprised because I thought I was on top of that kind of stuff lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:59 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:

Had to get tetanus too. Was such a pain in the ass transferring my medical records from my undergrad for some reason. Red tape is lame.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Have you guys seen what happened to YingYing Zhang? I've gotten into a very deep spiral of armchair detectiving today.

Really upsetting and scary :(

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 pm

carasrook wrote:Have you guys seen what happened to YingYing Zhang? I've gotten into a very deep spiral of armchair detectiving today.

Holy shit. :( that's really scary. I hope they find her

law444

New

Post by law444 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:40 pm

carasrook wrote:Have you guys seen what happened to YingYing Zhang? I've gotten into a very deep spiral of armchair detectiving today.

Yeah I heard about it. You cant see anything in the video the police released. I hope they find her soon...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Finally signed a lease! I'll be at Prospect Pointe in Savoy!!

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 pm

Watababe wrote:Finally signed a lease! I'll be at Prospect Pointe in Savoy!!
Nice! I signed with the Village so we are kind of neighbors.

I seriously considered Prospect Pointe. Its location is more than marginally better (closer to the markets and the law school, away from railroad, etc.) but all rooms were unfurnished with no utility paid for. I am from the coast and will not bring anything with me other than what fits in my luggage so Furnished units are a must for me. Prospect Point 1BR units are around $115 cheaper per month compared to the Village, but adding in the cost of utility ($80-100 in winter) and renting/buying the furniture went well over my budget. Had I lived within a driving distance from the school I would have easily picked Prospect Pointe over the Village. I'm jealous!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:31 pm

congrats! i've heard really good things about royse & brinkmeyer

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:21 am

carasrook wrote:
They were almost uncomfortably easy to work with??? They didn't ask for proof of anything. Like they have you fill out a general application before viewing apartments and that's considered good enough. IDK if it's because I have a really great credit score right now (RIP to that soon thanks law school) and a clean background check but they didn't ask for proof of employment, proof that I'm going to be a student, proof of financial aid, anything!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Nice! I signed with the Village so we are kind of neighbors.

I seriously considered Prospect Pointe. Its location is more than marginally better (closer to the markets and the law school, away from railroad, etc.) but all rooms were unfurnished with no utility paid for. I am from the coast and will not bring anything with me other than what fits in my luggage so Furnished units are a must for me. Prospect Point 1BR units are around $115 cheaper per month compared to the Village, but adding in the cost of utility ($80-100 in winter) and renting/buying the furniture went well over my budget. Had I lived within a driving distance from the school I would have easily picked Prospect Pointe over the Village. I'm jealous!
Glad to know another Savoy person (though I have heard repeatedly it's where many law school students end up and it's pretty much just in south Champaign)

I was the opposite of you lol...I live in Chicago and have all my own furnishings so I wanted unfurnished to avoid needing to store/sell my things. I went with a 2 bedroom which is causing me a little panic over money but I wanted the space. I'm not too worried about utilities because I've lived in 2 bedrooms before and the only utility I have to pay now that I didn't then is water and that's usually not too bad. I am more concerned now about either getting funding or a paid internship next summer.

ChambanaMan

New

Post by ChambanaMan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:26 pm

Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:
They were almost uncomfortably easy to work with??? They didn't ask for proof of anything. Like they have you fill out a general application before viewing apartments and that's considered good enough. IDK if it's because I have a really great credit score right now (RIP to that soon thanks law school) and a clean background check but they didn't ask for proof of employment, proof that I'm going to be a student, proof of financial aid, anything!

That's just the Champaign student housing market. I work for an American Campus property, and we don't check credit, student status, financials, or anything. And I don't know of another company that does. The competition among properties is huge, so any signature on that lease is all they care about.

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:09 pm

ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

That's just the Champaign student housing market. I work for an American Campus property, and we don't check credit, student status, financials, or anything. And I don't know of another company that does. The competition among properties is huge, so any signature on that lease is all they care about.
Ah that's good to know. When I was in college we had to at least prove we were students when signing the lease (and now in "the real world' I had to prove income and all that jazz) so it was a bit of a shock that they just like...took my word for it?

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 pm

Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

Ah that's good to know. When I was in college we had to at least prove we were students when signing the lease (and now in "the real world' I had to prove income and all that jazz) so it was a bit of a shock that they just like...took my word for it?
My experience was a bit diff. The Village required me to submit a letter of financial aid offer. Since the offer had not been issued at the time, I had to submit my tax return but since it did not meet the income requirement, they had me submit a checkstub. Only then did they approve my lease. It wasnt so different from what I would have expected in the "real world" market. But maybe this is due to my horrible credit score (mid-600s) so it could have been an unusual protocol for champaign housing market.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

My experience was a bit diff. The Village required me to submit a letter of financial aid offer. Since the offer had not been issued at the time, I had to submit my tax return but since it did not meet the income requirement, they had me submit a checkstub. Only then did they approve my lease. It wasnt so different from what I would have expected in the "real world" market. But maybe this is due to my horrible credit score (mid-600s) so it could have been an unusual protocol for champaign housing market.
Lol yeah, I'm renting from a local restaurant owner and I literally just had to sign a lease. They didn't ask to see any proof of identification, proof of income, proof that I was a student...didn't ask for any information at all actually. I facetimed with the owner to see the property and then signed the lease and that was it. Now I'm paranoid that it's not legit...but... I think it's fine?

Watababe

Bronze

Post by Watababe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 pm

carasrook wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:
Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

Lol yeah, I'm renting from a local restaurant owner and I literally just had to sign a lease. They didn't ask to see any proof of identification, proof of income, proof that I was a student...didn't ask for any information at all actually. I facetimed with the owner to see the property and then signed the lease and that was it. Now I'm paranoid that it's not legit...but... I think it's fine?
At the worst you'll have an interesting story to tell during orientation so

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

That's interesting. I didn't have to prove my own things but since I'm a student I was required to have a co-signer. I think they had my dad prove his income.
It seems like most of you guys are in Savoy...hopefully I'm not forever alone in Urbana lol. I had a hard time finding a place that would let me rent with two cats in a one bedroom.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:
ChambanaMan wrote:
Watababe wrote:
carasrook wrote:

That's interesting. I didn't have to prove my own things but since I'm a student I was required to have a co-signer. I think they had my dad prove his income.
It seems like most of you guys are in Savoy...hopefully I'm not forever alone in Urbana lol. I had a hard time finding a place that would let me rent with two cats in a one bedroom.
I'll be in Champaign! Honestly I'm sure it's fine - I think they're just low-key so long as I pay my rent on time.

We're getting SO CLOSE, I'm getting nervous.

I only have 5 weeks left at work. 22 work days, to be exact

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”