University of Illinois Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
carasrook

Bronze

University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by carasrook » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 am

I'm 98% sure this is where I'll be this fall (but haven't deposited yet). Anyone else? Stealing the rest of this info from the 2018 thread:

Housing
Champaign
Many of the frats/sororities are between: Gregory - 1st Street - Wright - Green. Housing tends to be pricey in this region due to proximity to class and bars.
North of Green: Cheap, cheap, cheap. Lots of UG engineers and international students in this part of town. The places aren’t the nicest, but they are on bus routes and the closest to County Market (the most convenient campus grocery store). Don’t go any further north than University Ave.
West of 1st Street: Lot’s of grad students. Prices vary. Mostly old houses turned into apts

Urbana
North of Florida, East of Lincoln, West of Vine, and South of University (the “state streets”….Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc.) is often on the more expensive side, but it is a very quiet, nice area. In general, Urbana is thought of as the more liberal, bike friendly, farmer’s market part of town. And it is. Hardwood floors, radiator heat, plenty of trees.
North of University is still not good.
East of Vine can get sort of far away and sketchy at times.
South of Florida is much more non-student residential. I wouldn’t expect to find much here, but it’s generally a nice area so long as you stay west of Philo road.

Savoy
This is where The Village is, and I've been told a lot of law students live there. Driving distance or a long bus ride. Cheap, quiet, and far away from everything. While that might not sound like a ringing endorsement, there are really some nice places in Savoy for a reasonable price. If you don’t mind the commute, it is worth looking into.

Local restaurants and bars
Thai - Siam Terrace, Urbana
Indian - Bombay Grill, Champaign
Chinese - Golden Harbor, Champaign
Mexican - Mas Amigos, Urbana
BBQ - Black Dog, Urbana
Burgers/fries - Seven Saints, Champaign and Crane Alley, Urbana
Breakfast - Courier Cafe, Urbana
Italian - Mia Za’s, Champaign
Sushi - KoFusion, Champaign does $1 sushi on Sunday and Monday
Random:
Desthil - Champaign does good fusion/high end/comfort food
Radio Maria - Champaign for tapas
Bacaro - the only $$$$ place in town

Bars:
Bro bars, undergrads, cheap drinks:
Joe’s, Firehaus, Brothers
Hipster/low-key:
Murphy’s
Sports and/or casual:
Legend’s, Guido’s, Esquire, Quality, Crane Alley, The Blind Pig and The Blind Pig Brewery***

***Likely the most popular bars for 21-30 year olds
Last edited by carasrook on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for making this! Sent in my deposit yesterday. :)

JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Thanks for making this! I just wanted to check in myself. I am about 90% sure I'll be attending!

GamecocksDT

New

Post by GamecocksDT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Checking in. I'm not entirely sure I'll be attending, but I'm visiting April 6th.

DaOneandOnly

New

Post by DaOneandOnly » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Checking in. Heading to the ASD on the 31st

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:09 pm

DaOneandOnly wrote:Checking in. Heading to the ASD on the 31st
I visited in February but can't make it to ASD, so please let me know how it goes/what you learn!

Shshs2211

New

Post by Shshs2211 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 pm

I attended undergrad here, let me know if you've got any questions about the campus! Also considering coming here, excited for the 31st.

lmkb2020

New

Post by lmkb2020 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:47 pm

Deposit sent, definitely attending. Registered for ASD. :)

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:08 pm

lmkb2020 wrote:Deposit sent, definitely attending. Registered for ASD. :)
Yay!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

oSu2014

New

Post by oSu2014 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 pm

More than likely will be sending in my deposit next week, barring a sudden development.

Looking forward to attending! :)

DaOneandOnly

New

Post by DaOneandOnly » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:01 am

Where's everyone looking for housing?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:53 am

DaOneandOnly wrote:Where's everyone looking for housing?
I found a really nice building in Urbana that is letting me have both of my cats in the apartment. :)

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
I found a really nice building in Urbana that is letting me have both of my cats in the apartment. :)
If you're driving: what's the parking and traffic situation supposed to be like?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:54 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Pinkpanda24 wrote:
If you're driving: what's the parking and traffic situation supposed to be like?
i'm looking in downtown champaign or downtown urbana! although i haven't found a decent place yet - but i'm picky :)

pinkpanda - mind PMing me what you found?

as for the driving situation - there's a lot across the street from the law school with a waiting list for students (and costs $660/year), but there are also metered spots. does anyone know if there are other student lots in the area that are within a realistic walking distance?

the bus system seems to be pretty comprehensive as well for such a small town.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

How does everyone feel about living in houses converted to private apartments?

I've never had this experience, and I have no idea what to expect, but there are some cute places with good deals on Craigslist. Just thought I'd see what the consensus was.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:49 pm

As long as the visit this weekend doesn't raise any major red flags, I'll be here in the fall!

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:15 pm

shotgunheist wrote:As long as the visit this weekend doesn't raise any major red flags, I'll be here in the fall!
pls give a full report of ASW! i can't go :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:54 pm

carasrook wrote:How does everyone feel about living in houses converted to private apartments?

I've never had this experience, and I have no idea what to expect, but there are some cute places with good deals on Craigslist. Just thought I'd see what the consensus was.
I've heard that that's a really good option in U-C. :) I was thinking of doing the same, but most places didn't want to take two cats haha

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:56 pm

shotgunheist wrote:As long as the visit this weekend doesn't raise any major red flags, I'll be here in the fall!
Awesome!! Let us know how it goes :)

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:09 am

I'm going to ASD this Friday.

What are you all wearing? I'll probably go with a dress shirt and a pair of jeans.

shotgunheist

Bronze

Post by shotgunheist » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Really enjoyed ASD, I'm pretty sure I'm going. Y'all go?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:15 am

I was at ASD as well. I wasn't really impressed at the campus but the faculties (especially the Career Service team) gave me a reason to consider UIUC very seriously. I could easily tell that the professors, faculty, and Dean Amar are top-notch.

But I dont know if it's just me but Downtown Champaign didn't seem all that vibrant. I stayed in Champaign from Thursday to Sunday morning and visited the downtown at least once each day, other than for the ASD night-out, Champaign Downtown looked like ghost-town (I stopped there for a drink on Saturday night from 9PM-Midnight and maybe saw like 5 people out in the street. Campustown was a little more alive but I heard it's mostly for undergrads anyway so I doubt I'll spend much time there anyway.

carasrook

Bronze

Post by carasrook » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:I was at ASD as well. I wasn't really impressed at the campus but the faculties (especially the Career Service team) gave me a reason to consider UIUC very seriously. I could easily tell that the professors, faculty, and Dean Amar are top-notch.

But I dont know if it's just me but Downtown Champaign didn't seem all that vibrant. I stayed in Champaign from Thursday to Sunday morning and visited the downtown at least once each day, other than for the ASD night-out, Champaign Downtown looked like ghost-town (I stopped there for a drink on Saturday night from 9PM-Midnight and maybe saw like 5 people out in the street. Campustown was a little more alive but I heard it's mostly for undergrads anyway so I doubt I'll spend much time there anyway.
That's a bummer. Did you get any other general vibes from staying there for a weekend? Other impressions?

DaOneandOnly

New

Post by DaOneandOnly » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Attended the ASD and visited Chicago prior to which in tandem has led me to just about pull the trigger on UIUC. The atmosphere of UIUC and Downtown was pretty much what I was hoping for. Tried several of the restaurants and bars and enjoyed my experience. The downtown bar hop event was a nice touch, showing the stress-busting side of town.

I've been to several different law campuses and I like the compact, cozy vibe of the UIUC law building. The proximity and connections UIUC has to Chicago really tipped the scales for me, as I got several large scholarships from rank 20-40 schools but nearly all located where I don't want to end up in the long term.

Hope to see you guys in the fall!

PS: Where are people trying to live/going to live?

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:39 pm

DaOneandOnly wrote:Attended the ASD and visited Chicago prior to which in tandem has led me to just about pull the trigger on UIUC. The atmosphere of UIUC and Downtown was pretty much what I was hoping for. Tried several of the restaurants and bars and enjoyed my experience. The downtown bar hop event was a nice touch, showing the stress-busting side of town.

I've been to several different law campuses and I like the compact, cozy vibe of the UIUC law building. The proximity and connections UIUC has to Chicago really tipped the scales for me, as I got several large scholarships from rank 20-40 schools but nearly all located where I don't want to end up in the long term.

Hope to see you guys in the fall!

PS: Where are people trying to live/going to live?
I got an apartment in Urbana about 2 miles from the law school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”