University of Illinois Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
law444
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby law444 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
carasrook wrote:i'm section c/small section 6!

do any current students want to give me the lowdown on the following profs?
- brubaker
- ross
- kesan
- moritz
- davidson


Brubaker is awesome. Ross kinda meh (didn't have her, but friends did). Didn't have the other three, but think they're fine.



Are you thinking of the wrong Ross? The professor listed is Richard Ross.

Redsfan320
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Redsfan320 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:36 pm

If anyone has an answer, I'm curious: For 2x/wk. LWA class (e.g. mine [A/1] is Mon/Thu), will there typically be assignments given on Monday that are due by that Thursday, or will we typically have a week (or at the very least a wknd. [assign Thu, due Mon])? I ask because common thinking tends to be that LWA takes a lot of time, so I would prefer to get those done over the weekend and maintain a tighter schedule during the week for reading for the doctrinal classes. LR is only once a week, so I know I'll be able to work on those assignments over the weekend. Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.

User avatar
Chardee_MacDennis
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 am

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:23 pm

law444 wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
carasrook wrote:i'm section c/small section 6!

do any current students want to give me the lowdown on the following profs?
- brubaker
- ross
- kesan
- moritz
- davidson


Brubaker is awesome. Ross kinda meh (didn't have her, but friends did). Didn't have the other three, but think they're fine.



Are you thinking of the wrong Ross? The professor listed is Richard Ross.


Yes then, wrong Ross.

JohnMaynardKeynes
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:26 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby JohnMaynardKeynes » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Any current students out there with insight regarding Tabb, Reynolds or Winship? Much thanks in advance

User avatar
Chardee_MacDennis
Posts: 298
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:26 am

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:56 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Any current students out there with insight regarding Tabb, Reynolds or Winship? Much thanks in advance


All awesome. You lucked out.

User avatar
carasrook
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby carasrook » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Any current students out there with insight regarding Tabb, Reynolds or Winship? Much thanks in advance


All awesome. You lucked out.


I glanced at the past exams bank on the Intranet and I don't see any of my professors' exams... am I out of luck? Or do those professors offer old exams in a different way?

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:22 pm

I forgot how awful buying textbooks can be

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Any current students out there with insight regarding Tabb, Reynolds or Winship? Much thanks in advance


All awesome. You lucked out.


What about Kordik, Alam, and Robbins?

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Watababe wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Any current students out there with insight regarding Tabb, Reynolds or Winship? Much thanks in advance


All awesome. You lucked out.


What about Kordik, Alam, and Robbins?


I saw some reviews on ratemyprof.

Brubaker - cool prof. Funny. Super hard finals.

Ross - Mediocre. Very bland lecture.

Alam - Mixed reviews. Negative reviews say she is rude and inaccessible.. Positive reviews say she is organized with clear expectations on finals.

Kordik - Mostly positive. Upbeat, entertaining, no cold calls but grades include voluntary class participation. Some negative review saying grades are rather subjective based on opinion rather than the actual law.

bruhhhhhh1010
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby bruhhhhhh1010 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Hihi!
Section C small section 6 !
so brubaker is hard for finals? crap :shock:

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm

bruhhhhhh1010 wrote:Hihi!
Section C small section 6 !
so brubaker is hard for finals? crap :shock:


I actually think its a good thing. If the final's easy, it's easy for everyone, and harder to stand out from the B/B+ crowd.

bruhhhhhh1010
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby bruhhhhhh1010 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 pm

CPAlawHopefu wrote:
bruhhhhhh1010 wrote:Hihi!
Section C small section 6 !
so brubaker is hard for finals? crap :shock:


I actually think its a good thing. If the final's easy, it's easy for everyone, and harder to stand out from the B/B+ crowd.


ahaha yeah. but it always doesnt sit well when you hear something like finals are super hard LOL :)

LegalPipeDream
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby LegalPipeDream » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:37 pm

The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:10 pm

LegalPipeDream wrote:The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?


I still haven't been able to get in contact with my current landlord to let him know I'm leaving (secretly hoping like tomorrow I get the "hey are you renewing?" letter to make it easier) before the end of my lease and seeing if I can maybe not pay September rent on this place since I won't be here at all.

I also still have to call parking to get my pass whoops.

Oh and I want to move like next week and I don't have movers lined up.

I hope everyone in Section C 5 is ready to not be the lowest ranked student because I'm claiming that as my own since I clearly am losing any ability to can right now.

kinglew
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:59 am

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby kinglew » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:14 pm

Any feedback on

Law 607- Kesan
Law 609- Moritz
Law 627- Davidson

?

Pinkpanda24
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Pinkpanda24 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:21 pm

Watababe wrote:I forgot how awful buying textbooks can be

Omg same
I looked at the civ pro book/supplement package for $300 and quickly closed my browser :shock:

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 am

Pinkpanda24 wrote:
Watababe wrote:I forgot how awful buying textbooks can be

Omg same
I looked at the civ pro book/supplement package for $300 and quickly closed my browser :shock:


I'm holding off on buying the two I'm getting through the bookstore because I'm still dealing with how much money I spent on Amazon...

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 am

are you guys renting or buying your books?

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:are you guys renting or buying your books?


I'm buying because that way I don't have to worry about getting them back in time and I can keep them if I think they look good on a bookshelf or I can sell them and save some money that way. I also don't have to worry then about how much I mark them up.

Also, I know earlier you were wondering about what to do about not having loans in time to pay for books and I saw this today http://www.osfa.illinois.edu/types-of-a ... term-loans about emergency loans just for that!

LegalPipeDream
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby LegalPipeDream » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:21 am

Watababe wrote:
LegalPipeDream wrote:The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?


I still haven't been able to get in contact with my current landlord to let him know I'm leaving (secretly hoping like tomorrow I get the "hey are you renewing?" letter to make it easier) before the end of my lease and seeing if I can maybe not pay September rent on this place since I won't be here at all.

I also still have to call parking to get my pass whoops.

Oh and I want to move like next week and I don't have movers lined up.

I hope everyone in Section C 5 is ready to not be the lowest ranked student because I'm claiming that as my own since I clearly am losing any ability to can right now.


Sounds like you've got a pretty full plate! I keep procrastinating on getting the Immunization form returned, and I'm worried its going to end up with a lot of needles.

We may seem a little jumbled now, but once C5 gets to Champaign, I have faith that we will be best section :D

LegalPipeDream
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby LegalPipeDream » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am

CPAlawHopefu wrote:are you guys renting or buying your books?

I intend on buying my books.
Renting seems like a good option, but apparently, if my approach to my undergrad books is any indication, I want to see how many books I can collect with the intent of reading again only to have them sit in a jumbled mess in the corner of my room never to be touched again.

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:55 am

LegalPipeDream wrote:
CPAlawHopefu wrote:are you guys renting or buying your books?

I intend on buying my books.
Renting seems like a good option, but apparently, if my approach to my undergrad books is any indication, I want to see how many books I can collect with the intent of reading again only to have them sit in a jumbled mess in the corner of my room never to be touched again.


This too. There's a tub in my parent's basement filled with the books I decided not to sell because "Hey I may want to look into this again someday"

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:56 am

LegalPipeDream wrote:
Watababe wrote:
LegalPipeDream wrote:The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?


I still haven't been able to get in contact with my current landlord to let him know I'm leaving (secretly hoping like tomorrow I get the "hey are you renewing?" letter to make it easier) before the end of my lease and seeing if I can maybe not pay September rent on this place since I won't be here at all.

I also still have to call parking to get my pass whoops.

Oh and I want to move like next week and I don't have movers lined up.

I hope everyone in Section C 5 is ready to not be the lowest ranked student because I'm claiming that as my own since I clearly am losing any ability to can right now.


Sounds like you've got a pretty full plate! I keep procrastinating on getting the Immunization form returned, and I'm worried its going to end up with a lot of needles.

We may seem a little jumbled now, but once C5 gets to Champaign, I have faith that we will be best section :D


"C5, the #we'lljustwingit section"

CPAlawHopefu
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby CPAlawHopefu » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Watababe wrote:
LegalPipeDream wrote:
Watababe wrote:
LegalPipeDream wrote:The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?


I still haven't been able to get in contact with my current landlord to let him know I'm leaving (secretly hoping like tomorrow I get the "hey are you renewing?" letter to make it easier) before the end of my lease and seeing if I can maybe not pay September rent on this place since I won't be here at all.

I also still have to call parking to get my pass whoops.

Oh and I want to move like next week and I don't have movers lined up.

I hope everyone in Section C 5 is ready to not be the lowest ranked student because I'm claiming that as my own since I clearly am losing any ability to can right now.


Sounds like you've got a pretty full plate! I keep procrastinating on getting the Immunization form returned, and I'm worried its going to end up with a lot of needles.

We may seem a little jumbled now, but once C5 gets to Champaign, I have faith that we will be best section :D


"C5, the #we'lljustwingit section"


Putting all jokes aside, this is seriously a blessing. A section filled with overachievers will be a great benefit to all of us. I understand that some of you aren't the biggest fans of study groups but I'm a strong believer of utilizing study groups to reach our full potential. My cousin who got her JD in '09 told me that her biggest issue at LS was being placed in a section filled with underachieving "wingers" - she rarely got much out of it and felt like it was instead a liability that only ate up much of her time. The one advice that she gave me was to hustle my first few weeks finding and befriending a group of like-minded overachievers because this will make 1L much more bearable.

Thanks for the loan info btw.

User avatar
Watababe
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:30 am

Watababe wrote:
LegalPipeDream wrote:The anxiety about starting school has kicked in. Did not expect for it to come this early. What you all do you have to finish up before you're ready to head to Champaign?


I still haven't been able to get in contact with my current landlord to let him know I'm leaving (secretly hoping like tomorrow I get the "hey are you renewing?" letter to make it easier) before the end of my lease and seeing if I can maybe not pay September rent on this place since I won't be here at all.

I also still have to call parking to get my pass whoops.

Oh and I want to move like next week and I don't have movers lined up.

I hope everyone in Section C 5 is ready to not be the lowest ranked student because I'm claiming that as my own since I clearly am losing any ability to can right now.



Update: I have told my landlord I'm moving. Apparently there's a couple living above me in a studio that want a one bedroom so fingers crossed/prayer circle that they want it ASAP and I don't have to pay September rent.

Still don't have a parking pass or movers because like that's not important right???


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest