USC Gould 2020 Club Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Re: USC Gould 2020 Club

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:59 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote:
lawpotato wrote:Anyone know when we're going to be registered by? I saw something on the website that said it would be yesterday.
Also wondering this, I thought it was supposed to be Monday, day before yesterday
idk ive been checking every few hours bc i decided it's important to start acting neurotic well before the year begins

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
lawpotato wrote:Anyone know when we're going to be registered by? I saw something on the website that said it would be yesterday.
Also wondering this, I thought it was supposed to be Monday, day before yesterday
idk ive been checking every few hours bc i decided it's important to start acting neurotic well before the year begins
Same. Somehow, constantly checking my email seems like the productive thing to do. Plus I want those instructions on how to buy football season tickets

hifromtheotherside

New

Post by hifromtheotherside » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Rising 3L. Hit me w/ any questions you have!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am

hifromtheotherside wrote:Rising 3L. Hit me w/ any questions you have!
will i be happy and employed when im a 3L too?

more importantly tho, is the gym on campus legit?

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 am

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

No, the gym leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately. Hopefully it gets redone this summer, but I'm doubtful since the USC village is supposed to have a brand new one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am

ambrajdurbra131313 wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

No, the gym leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately. Hopefully it gets redone this summer, but I'm doubtful since the USC village is supposed to have a brand new one.
that's too bad. does it at least have squat racks and free weights?

hifromtheotherside

New

Post by hifromtheotherside » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

It does, but it's actually currently going through extensive renovation, so you all will have access to a newly-remodeled facility! And yeah the USC Village will have a new "Fitness Center" (what they're calling it), but I'm expecting that to be insanely crowded.

Y'all are coming during a great yr, w/ the Village opening this fall.

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm

How is the career services program? Basically wondering if the school (like OCIs, networking events, etc.) gets most people their summer and full time jobs or if it's individual connections.

hifromtheotherside

New

Post by hifromtheotherside » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 pm

How is the career services program? Basically wondering if the school (like OCIs, networking events, etc.) gets most people their summer and full time jobs or if it's individual connections.
I think they're great, and they put on a lot of events, lunches, and seminars that are extremely helpful, but there are definitely things that they could do better.

Our placement numbers are out there- about 30-35% of each class gets big law and those jobs are usually scored through OCI and networking events that the school puts on. As a part of OCI, CSO hosts a "Meet the Firms Night" a few weeks before OCI where recruiters, current associates, and partners, come to meet the rising 2Ls that are about to go through recruiting and that's a great way to make contacts. They will also go out of their way to connect you w/ alum at offices you're interested, etc.

Outside of OCI, as a 1L, you have the opportunity to go to the Alumni Mentor Lunch. Gould alum from basically every practice of law out there come back to campus to talk to the 1Ls about their practice. This is a great opportunity to make some contacts. Personally, I was offered a 1L summer job at this event, but I had already accepted something else at the time. There's also a small to mid size firm reception for you to network at, A LOT of brown bag lunches that cover anything from interview tips to different practices in the law.

I think what the school could improve on is adding more structure to the programs they put on for students who don't want biglaw, and are instead pursuing government, public interest, or small/mid-size firms. CSO is always happy to help when these students approach them w/ questions, but they don't provide nearly the same amount of resources as they do to the students who want big law.

Having said that, there is only so much they can do. If you just sit back and coast and wait for them to find you a job, chances are it won't end well. For example, if you go to the Alumni Lunch and don't talk to anyone? Wasted opportunity. As a future lawyer, you should be putting in an effort to make these individual connections b/c they'll prove invaluable for you. I think this is a good way of putting it- CSO will put gas in your car for you most times, but it's up to you to drive it.

Hope this helps! :) Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:21 pm

hifromtheotherside wrote:
I think they're great, and they put on a lot of events, lunches, and seminars that are extremely helpful, but there are definitely things that they could do better.

Our placement numbers are out there- about 30-35% of each class gets big law and those jobs are usually scored through OCI and networking events that the school puts on. As a part of OCI, CSO hosts a "Meet the Firms Night" a few weeks before OCI where recruiters, current associates, and partners, come to meet the rising 2Ls that are about to go through recruiting and that's a great way to make contacts. They will also go out of their way to connect you w/ alum at offices you're interested, etc.

Outside of OCI, as a 1L, you have the opportunity to go to the Alumni Mentor Lunch. Gould alum from basically every practice of law out there come back to campus to talk to the 1Ls about their practice. This is a great opportunity to make some contacts. Personally, I was offered a 1L summer job at this event, but I had already accepted something else at the time. There's also a small to mid size firm reception for you to network at, A LOT of brown bag lunches that cover anything from interview tips to different practices in the law.

I think what the school could improve on is adding more structure to the programs they put on for students who don't want biglaw, and are instead pursuing government, public interest, or small/mid-size firms. CSO is always happy to help when these students approach them w/ questions, but they don't provide nearly the same amount of resources as they do to the students who want big law.

Having said that, there is only so much they can do. If you just sit back and coast and wait for them to find you a job, chances are it won't end well. For example, if you go to the Alumni Lunch and don't talk to anyone? Wasted opportunity. As a future lawyer, you should be putting in an effort to make these individual connections b/c they'll prove invaluable for you. I think this is a good way of putting it- CSO will put gas in your car for you most times, but it's up to you to drive it.

Hope this helps! :) Let me know if you want me to elaborate on anything.
Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:33 pm

do you have any idea of how USC students perform in NYC? do you think that if more students were willing to go back east USC's biglaw percentage would increase, eg in the same way that Vandy and WUSTL did this year?

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Any info on student football tickets? I know that incoming grad students will get the chance to purchase season tickets after orientation, but do you think there will still be any left by that time? Or any other football info. Seems like a petty thing to think about rn but I'm a fan lol

averagewhiteguy

New

Post by averagewhiteguy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:30 pm

lawpotato wrote:
Any info on student football tickets? I know that incoming grad students will get the chance to purchase season tickets after orientation, but do you think there will still be any left by that time? Or any other football info. Seems like a petty thing to think about rn but I'm a fan lol
Another USC 3L chiming in and also a big USC football fan.

Yes there should be tickets still available. You just sign up for season tickets and it's basically attached to your student id that you show at the games. Think it's 200 dollars this year and that gets you a seat in the student section for every home game. Also allows you to enter into lottery for bowl games and away games. Also you can buy one guest ticket (for friends or SA) a game for any other person at I think 50 dollars.

If you don't want season tickets you can buy individual game tickets which a lot of law students do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:17 pm

averagewhiteguy wrote:
lawpotato wrote:
Another USC 3L chiming in and also a big USC football fan.

Yes there should be tickets still available. You just sign up for season tickets and it's basically attached to your student id that you show at the games. Think it's 200 dollars this year and that gets you a seat in the student section for every home game. Also allows you to enter into lottery for bowl games and away games. Also you can buy one guest ticket (for friends or SA) a game for any other person at I think 50 dollars.

If you don't want season tickets you can buy individual game tickets which a lot of law students do. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks! That was way more helpful than anything I've been able to glean from the website!

slurp

New

Post by slurp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Class schedules are up!

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:55 pm

slurp wrote:Class schedules are up!
Where did you find it?

dientefino

New

Post by dientefino » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 pm

For those who opted into the First Generation Professionals Program, have you heard anything from them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 pm

lawpotato wrote:
Where did you find it?
http://mylaw2.usc.edu/portal/academics/ ... hedule.pdf

FranklinSims

New

Post by FranklinSims » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:18 pm

loslakers wrote:
lawpotato wrote:
Where did you find it?
http://mylaw2.usc.edu/portal/academics/ ... hedule.pdf
2017 Fall 1L Schedule Observations/Opinions

Here are some of my opinions about several of the 1L professors this semester. Feel free to message me with any specific questions about your section.

Keating- Torts with Keating can be fun. A little eccentric. His text book and policy are really important for the exam (especially the smaller cases). Best idea is to keep up with reading and try to organize the cases as you go (I recommend one note). Great thing about Keating is that he does give you a bit of exam practice which is generous of him. I would advise taking the writing exercises he gives (about two or three) throughout the semester seriously because they are similar to his exams. With Keating supplements are not so helpful because he is looking for his unique prospective and wording on exams.

Armour - Armour typically throws a lot of students for a loop. He is an oddity. His exams have sometimes been less than a page. He is just as likely to strike and hold a yoga pose in class as he is to throw a party at his luxury home for the entire law school to attend (yes all of this has actually happened over the years). Basically Armour is a policy guy and his exams are unpredictable except for the fact that they will include a lot of policy. My advise is to avoid tuning him out in class. It may seem like he is steering of course or belaboring a point but what's really going on is that he is an academic and he wants you to really pour into the meaning and policy of the law. Best practice is to pay attention to his specific wording, phrases and philosophy so that you can use and apply them on his exam answer. Students who do this will perform better.

Altman- A really great property professor. He loves to lecture and is pretty funny but he is also pretty aware that he is boring. I love that he records his lectures and makes them available immediately. Most profs don't do this. But if you have a long commute or you're doing some hiking its not a bad idea to listen to the recordings sometimes so the stuff really sticks. Property is substantive rich because there are so many topics. Altman pretty much hits all of them so it can be easy to gt behind in his class. What I love about Altman's class is that he provides tons of past exams and he has answers. When students perform high on his exams it is very likely that they reviewed his exams. I like to actually write answer to several of them either alone or in a study group. Looking at his exams is a plus because it helps you better focus on what is tested in a class that covers more than can be tested.

Klerman - This class can be nuts. Klerman has even gone into German rules on civil procedure (as is learning the American Rules isn't hard enough!) The thing about Klerman's class is that he demands a lot of busy work. Typically in law school classes you are just assigned reading and take an exam at the end of the semester. Klerman requires several written assignments throughout the semester and requires ton of reading.Civ Pro is a tough course as it is but Klerman makes it a bit tougher. The truth is that Klerman is a big policy guy and one of the leading forces behind the creation of Gould's LLV course. I think that success on his exam is more about application and policy. If you think that you are going to do well in his course with boilerplate Civ Pro tactics it won't likely work. Legend has it that the students with the highest GPAs and more scholarship money are put in Klermans class. I don't know if this is true but it is common for students to feel like the Klerman section has more students from better undergrads and with higher LSATs (but this is largely speculative). My advice is to grab a good outline from a recent 2L or 3L to help you navigate the class and be able to anticipate what is coming. The worse idea is to do this in the dark!

Rasmussen - I've seen a lot of people get A's in this class. Really great professor. I strongly recommend office hours. mid way in the semester students that have gone in with a practice exam or two have left with strong feedback and a head start on their peers. Dean Ras has a lot of practice exams as well. His format is a little more predictable so I strongly suggest checking out his exams and getting some practice in during the semester.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 am

hifromtheotherside wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:
Colonel_funkadunk wrote:

It does, but it's actually currently going through extensive renovation, so you all will have access to a newly-remodeled facility! And yeah the USC Village will have a new "Fitness Center" (what they're calling it), but I'm expecting that to be insanely crowded.

Y'all are coming during a great yr, w/ the Village opening this fall.
I'm actually very excited for this lmao. I love working out and I'mma be five minutes away from the campus.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 am

dientefino wrote:For those who opted into the First Generation Professionals Program, have you heard anything from them?
Yeah I actually heard back yesterday. They are going to have a dinner on the 11th.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 pm

The day by day orientation schedule is up!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:30 pm

lawpotato wrote:The day by day orientation schedule is up!
That's awesome see you there lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”