USC Gould 2020 Club Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
amta

Platinum

Re: USC Gould 2020 Club

Post by amta » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:01 pm

[+] Spoiler
[youtube]GeiXFtkGp2s[/youtube]

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:is the admissions instagram page really going to release exclusive information? sounds like they're just trying to get insta followers
EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION ALERT

Law Language and Values
Several years ago USC professors got together and created this interdisciplinary course. Around campus 1L's simply refer to it as "Laws". Every 1L takes Laws in addition to their doctrinal courses. Essentially, this is a legal policy course. Different from traditional courses such as Tort law, Contract law or Property law this class focuses entirely on the various philosophical and socio-economic rationales underlying the legal system. The reason this class matters is because if approached right it can lead to an easy A because so few students are clear on how to approach LAWs. Once you find out who your LAWs professor will be you definitely want to mine upper class men for a good outline. Here is a link to 1L USC outlines for certain professors: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4tpc ... 3IxbkhSWTg

Section Stacking
While no formal proof of this exist, over the years several students have reported that there seems to be one 1L section that has the toughest professors and consist of more students from top undergrads, higher LSATs and scholarships. If this were true, the reason it matters is because the curve in such a section would be more difficult given the students one would compete against. At first glance this may seem like urban legend. In fact, the allegations are made at other schools in and around LA. Among the rationals for section stacking is to pit conditional scholarship holders against one another as a means of increasing tuition dollars later after a substantial amount of conditional scholarship holders fail to satisfy the GPA condition. (as is inevitable given a fixed curve). Again I do not know whether this is true and even if it is there is little we can do about it. But its our job to assure that we have the best GPA to put us in the best position to land jobs. Thus, its always a good idea to assess your competition once school begins so that you can make decisions (and sometimes alliances) that put you in the best position to be successful.

Legal Writing at Gould
Legal research and writing at most law schools is grueling. It's grueling because it will take more time to complete these writing assignments than you will think at first glance. The reason legal writing matters is because Big Law employers value strong legal writers because it speaks to their ability to concisely organize and clearly communicate complicated information. USC has a reputation among firms for turning out strong legal writers. The credit for the turn-out has a lot to do with Gould's "open universe" legal writing assignment given to 1Ls. The Open Universe system as well as the research assignment is so thorough that once SC students go to firms they have a solid framework. But what makes legal writing tough is that the legal writing professors give very little guidance and can often be particularly vague about expectations. While I wouldn't recommend grabbing a legal writing reader and getting a head start on legal writing (that's too daunting of a task and probably not very efficient), it is not a bad idea to start networking with friends and developing a small database of sample legal writing briefs. Although your topic will be different, having samples that you can build on will save you time put you farther along on the learning curve. Remember that at USC the legal writing curve is tighter than your larger doctrinal courses because there are fewer people in this class. A top grade in this class will go a long way during OCI interviews with firms so try and gather what you can.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Shema wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:is the admissions instagram page really going to release exclusive information? sounds like they're just trying to get insta followers
Thank you for that!

cvslaww

New

Post by cvslaww » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Shema wrote:
EXCLUSIVE INFORMATION ALERT

Section Stacking
While no formal proof of this exist, over the years several students have reported that there seems to be one 1L section that has the toughest professors and consist of more students from top undergrads, higher LSATs and scholarships. If this were true, the reason it matters is because the curve in such a section would be more difficult given the students one would compete against. At first glance this may seem like urban legend. In fact, the allegations are made at other schools in and around LA. Among the rationals for section stacking is to pit conditional scholarship holders against one another as a means of increasing tuition dollars later after a substantial amount of conditional scholarship holders fail to satisfy the GPA condition. (as is inevitable given a fixed curve). Again I do not know whether this is true and even if it is there is little we can do about it. But its our job to assure that we have the best GPA to put us in the best position to land jobs. Thus, its always a good idea to assess your competition once school begins so that you can make decisions (and sometimes alliances) that put you in the best position to be successful.
I thought USC didn't award conditional scholarships and, therefore, no incentive would exist to "section stack."

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm

[/quote]

I thought USC didn't award conditional scholarships and, therefore, no incentive would exist to "section stack."[/quote]

This is a really good point. Like I said, could just be urban legend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Shema wrote:
This is a really good point. Like I said, could just be urban legend.
Yeah actually that is false. Spoke to a few 3Ls. They said the only way to loose your scholarship is to flunk out. They all assured me that no one would flunk out.

slurp

New

Post by slurp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:02 pm

tour day was cool on Friday. mostly everyone seemed chill and i was impressed by my potential future classmates. crazy, i can't believe law school is about to start in a few months.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

slurp wrote:tour day was cool on Friday. mostly everyone seemed chill and i was impressed by my potential future classmates. crazy, i can't believe law school is about to start in a few months.
That's great to hear. I'm going to the one on the 27th.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 pm

yall saw that they opened up that Law Day registration link??

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:25 pm

lawpotato wrote:yall saw that they opened up that Law Day registration link??
Tha k you but idk what to put for my biography lol.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
lol I'm having the same problem. I'm like "...I like sports" haha.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:36 pm

lawpotato wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
I put my age, my siblings, I like basketball, I have a cat lol.

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
lawpotato wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
I put my age, my siblings, I like basketball, I have a cat lol.
I wrote like one sentence cause it stressed me out haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm

I wonder if we'd be able to guess who's who at law day haha

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:41 pm

cherrygalore wrote:I wonder if we'd be able to guess who's who at law day haha
TLS guessing game lol.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Reserved my scholly.

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 am

Mr_Chukes wrote:Reserved my scholly.
same

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:46 pm

Is there some publication that mentions dress code for Law Day? Wondering what people will be wearing; my gut is that it would be fairly casual but I do not want to be wrong on this

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:49 pm

BoyJord wrote:Is there some publication that mentions dress code for Law Day? Wondering what people will be wearing; my gut is that it would be fairly casual but I do not want to be wrong on this
this. im guessing the dinner would be business casual though right? I honestly have no idea hahah

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm

loslakers wrote:
BoyJord wrote:Is there some publication that mentions dress code for Law Day? Wondering what people will be wearing; my gut is that it would be fairly casual but I do not want to be wrong on this
this. im guessing the dinner would be business casual though right? I honestly have no idea hahah
They didn't send out anything about how to dress. Anyone going to the banquet as well?

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
loslakers wrote:
They didn't send out anything about how to dress. Anyone going to the banquet as well?
Well that's no good. I will wear business casual or even business professional if that's the look but I feel like it would be a bit silly to preview the school in such an obvious charade. I want to feel the real vibe of campus and classmates, and I do not want first impressions of everything to be so stuffy. We aint gonna be wearing business dress to class (at least not the majority of the time).

Also has anyone reserved their scholly and then received an email reminding them to reserve their scholarship? Just got that email and it has me concerned that they have not processed or received my reservation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:12 pm

BoyJord wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
loslakers wrote:
Well that's no good. I will wear business casual or even business professional if that's the look but I feel like it would be a bit silly to preview the school in such an obvious charade. I want to feel the real vibe of campus and classmates, and I do not want first impressions of everything to be so stuffy. We aint gonna be wearing business dress to class (at least not the majority of the time).

Also has anyone reserved their scholly and then received an email reminding them to reserve their scholarship? Just got that email and it has me concerned that they have not processed or received my reservation.
I'm going to be wearing causal wear. Yeah I got the same email. I think they just sent it out to everyone lol. When I went to the basketball game, no one was really dressed up. Not even the Dean of Admissions.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
BoyJord wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
loslakers wrote:

I'm going to be wearing causal wear. Yeah I got the same email. I think they just sent it out to everyone lol. When I went to the basketball game, no one was really dressed up. Not even the Dean of Admissions.
Rad. I am all about casual wear. I feel like it is way easier to get to know people when you are dressed casually. I am sure there is some academic paper that would give merit to my belief that there is some psychic phenomenon related to casual wear and capacity for intimate conversation. I'll let you all look that up though.

ray.bee

Bronze

Post by ray.bee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Visited UVA and Texas and now 99% sure I'm depositing @ USC! YAY LA!!!!!!!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:19 pm

ray.bee wrote:Visited UVA and Texas and now 99% sure I'm depositing @ USC! YAY LA!!!!!!!
Yes! More TLS homies lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”