Michigan Summer Start C/O 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

When are you arriving in AA? (plz don't vote in poll if you voted in summer start FB group!)

Already here
No votes
On or before 5/7
No votes
5/8-5/14
No votes
5/15-5/21
25%
5/22-5/29
75%

Total votes: 4

twochipmunks

New

Re: Michigan Summer Start C/O 2020

Post by twochipmunks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:55 am

S.Picquery wrote:I was wondering why everyone chose summer start, or why they think Mich thought that they would work well as a summer starter? It's supposedly a big gut-feeling, sorta thing. And ngl, I kind of love the exclusive sort of feeling that will likely come from being the only ones on campus.
Answering the question, but also sharing if it reassures anyone. I initially applied and was admitted only as a fall starter. This week I called the admissions office and requested to be switched to a summer starter. They were great and granted the request within 2 days! Michigan is one of my top choices right now, and if that's what I go with I think summer start sounds like a great choice. Been out of school for 4 years so easing in sounds good; will probably be commuting a little ways to campus so having 1 less semester of winter roads is good; I also like the idea of having an extra semester of (hopefully really good) grades when applying for externships.

So if it makes anyone feel better, summer starters aren't just people who didn't get in for fall. Really excited.

pipipipi

Bronze

Post by pipipipi » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi summer starters! I posted this in the general michigan post but thought it might be more appropriate to post in this summer start post instead.

So has anyone started negotiating with Michigan? How did it go?

Also, does anyone know when summer start tuition is due? I checked their website and couldn't find the info. Really need to start preparing for it. Thanks!

Phyllis Stein

New

Post by Phyllis Stein » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:43 am

Hello! Checking in! I, too, would like to know about anyone's negotiating experiences.

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 am

Tagging

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:20 am

Anyone going to the Michigan alum/admit reception in NYC tomorrow?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 pm

Currently in Michigan. Sitting in on a class tmrw.

Severe college town vibe.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:49 pm

Update: met with fin aid today and figured I'd let you all know she said that loan stuff will be sent out at the end of this month/beginning of next month and that summer starters should be fine for loan disbursement as long as you submit two weeks prior to classes starting.

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 am

brinicolec wrote:Currently in Michigan. Sitting in on a class tmrw.

Severe college town vibe.
So, it definitely is.

The University of Michigan is easily the most dominant and visible economic force in the city, but in comparison to true college towns, there's also a vibrant city non-student population.

The school and city are..."uniquely"? connected in a way that other genuine college towns aren't with their residents, but if you're coming from a larger place, then yeah, it seems like a pure college town.

Then again I'm horribly biased, so maybe my opinions should be taken with even more grains of salt than I try to incorporate into my judgments. Ann Arbor is a wondrous place and in many circles (aka my family) it's referred to as God's country. But it would certainly be a downgrade from an NYC or Chicago or the like, in terms of everything but cost and perhaps external pressure.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:19 pm

Yo, fam. All the summer starters I met last night at the Mich alum event were SO happy they did, and a bunch who hadn't done summer start wished hey did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:23 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Yo, fam. All the summer starters I met last night at the Mich alum event were SO happy they did, and a bunch who hadn't done summer start wished hey did.
This is encouraging. What reasoning did you hear?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:09 pm

UghNonAmus wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:Yo, fam. All the summer starters I met last night at the Mich alum event were SO happy they did, and a bunch who hadn't done summer start wished hey did.
Mostly they discussed community, but there is an advantage to the early graduation. They are starting when so few have their degree or will have passed the bar. It helps stand out. Also, most of them weren't KJD so they appreciated easing back into school.

UghNonAmus

New

Post by UghNonAmus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 am

S.Picquery wrote:
UghNonAmus wrote:
most of them weren't KJD so they appreciated easing back into school.
Early graduation is a motivation, closeness as well, but this above all else is what I am most thankful for about SS. I went to an average state school with an above average but not super challenging major, and one of my fears has been "holy crap this is the hardest I've ever had to exert myself mentally", which it certainly will be regardless, but the concept of the summer start with just 2(.5ish) classes allowing me to sort of acclimate as opposed to just diving in is very comforting.

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm registered for the March Preview Weekend. Excited and nervous! I hope I will see some of you guys there!

Re: Why summer start -- In my application, I indicated willingness to be considered for either fall or summer start. I thought it wouldn't hurt to be flexible, and I knew I wouldn't mind graduating sooner. When I was admitted for summer start, Dean Z indicated that my work experience played a role in that decision. Since then, I've decided that I am really into the slow ramp up to law school, the close knit group that forms during the summer, and the beauties of Ann Arbor (I visited a friend there once during the summer and thought it was AMAZING). Also, one of the things that worries me about Michigan is the weather the rest of the year, so it seems ideal to learn what it takes to be an effective law student during the summer rather than having to simultaneously pry my Texan body out of hibernate-mode.

On the other hand, I think my employer has adjusted to the idea that I will be leaving in July or August, and accepting Michigan will put me in a somewhat uncomfortable spot. It's doable, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 am

UghNonAmus wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
UghNonAmus wrote:
most of them weren't KJD so they appreciated easing back into school.
Early graduation is a motivation, closeness as well, but this above all else is what I am most thankful for about SS. I went to an average state school with an above average but not super challenging major, and one of my fears has been "holy crap this is the hardest I've ever had to exert myself mentally", which it certainly will be regardless, but the concept of the summer start with just 2(.5ish) classes allowing me to sort of acclimate as opposed to just diving in is very comforting.
Also, my understanding is the class is smaller and you get to know everyone. People at Michigan seem nice anyway, but it'll be nice to have a group to get acquainted with while the stress level is slightly lower because there are fewer classes. Then, when things are getting more intense, you should already have some sort of support group lol

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:37 am

speedofthought wrote:I'm registered for the March Preview Weekend. Excited and nervous! I hope I will see some of you guys there!

Re: Why summer start -- In my application, I indicated willingness to be considered for either fall or summer start. I thought it wouldn't hurt to be flexible, and I knew I wouldn't mind graduating sooner. When I was admitted for summer start, Dean Z indicated that my work experience played a role in that decision. Since then, I've decided that I am really into the slow ramp up to law school, the close knit group that forms during the summer, and the beauties of Ann Arbor (I visited a friend there once during the summer and thought it was AMAZING). Also, one of the things that worries me about Michigan is the weather the rest of the year, so it seems ideal to learn what it takes to be an effective law student during the summer rather than having to simultaneously pry my Texan body out of hibernate-mode.

On the other hand, I think my employer has adjusted to the idea that I will be leaving in July or August, and accepting Michigan will put me in a somewhat uncomfortable spot. It's doable, though.
Regarding the weather, I visited Michigan last week (I think it was last week, at least) and went on a tour where they took us to the library. The carpet is green and the library has window-panel ceilings, basically, and they said that, because of the angle of the ceiling, natural light hits every floor. They also said that the windows are heated so they melt the snow, so even during the winter, you can't tell what season it is. It seems like they put a lot of thought into making the library a less depressing place to be lol. They also said that during spring break or something, they turned the library into a mini-golf course.

Ugh, why can't I like Ann Arbor?!?!?!? Lol.

Edit: Meanwhile, telling you about something I saw that impressed me at the school is making me wonder if I should just suck it up in Ann Arbor for three years. GRRRRRR I DIDN'T LIKE ANN ARBOR!!!! :lol:

speedofthought

New

Post by speedofthought » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:14 pm

brinicolec wrote:
speedofthought wrote:I'm registered for the March Preview Weekend. Excited and nervous! I hope I will see some of you guys there!

Regarding the weather, I visited Michigan last week (I think it was last week, at least) and went on a tour where they took us to the library. The carpet is green and the library has window-panel ceilings, basically, and they said that, because of the angle of the ceiling, natural light hits every floor. They also said that the windows are heated so they melt the snow, so even during the winter, you can't tell what season it is. It seems like they put a lot of thought into making the library a less depressing place to be lol. They also said that during spring break or something, they turned the library into a mini-golf course.

Edit: Meanwhile, telling you about something I saw that impressed me at the school is making me wonder if I should just suck it up in Ann Arbor for three years. GRRRRRR I DIDN'T LIKE ANN ARBOR!!!! :lol:
That's very cool! I'm glad you shared that. It's too bad you don't like Ann Arbor though.. that makes things tough. I hear you about preferring to live in the city, but I think I could be happy in a small town (at least one that is walkable and has good food and a fun vibe) when I'm trying to get focused on school.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 pm

speedofthought wrote:
brinicolec wrote:

That's very cool! I'm glad you shared that. It's too bad you don't like Ann Arbor though.. that makes things tough. I hear you about preferring to live in the city, but I think I could be happy in a small town (at least one that is walkable and has good food and a fun vibe) when I'm trying to get focused on school.
Ann Arbor is weird from a walkable standpoint. Like... there's stuff around, but I have a feeling you still need a car. Lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 am

Welp. I told y'all about how impressed I was by the thought they put into the library and now I'm teetering between here and Northwestern again :| :| :| lol

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:21 am

brinicolec wrote:Welp. I told y'all about how impressed I was by the thought they put into the library and now I'm teetering between here and Northwestern again :| :| :| lol
Did you visit NU yet? And remember, at least for 1L you're not going to be going out/socializing too, too much.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:41 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:Welp. I told y'all about how impressed I was by the thought they put into the library and now I'm teetering between here and Northwestern again :| :| :| lol
Did you visit NU yet? And remember, at least for 1L you're not going to be going out/socializing too, too much.

Their asw isn't until April :roll: and I really don't think that's as true as people make it sound. I know several law students who say they treat law school like a 9-5 Sun-Thurs and have Friday and Saturday to themselves. The only time they literally don't have time to go out is closer to finals. I don't doubt law school is a lot of work, but I highly doubt it's so much work that people can't go out/socialize. I think that's more about a choice ppl make. And I'm way too extroverted to make that choice and still be happy lol

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Another perk of summer start: Assuming tuition goes up every year, we get an extra semester at 1st year's (less expensive) tuition rate and one less semester at 3rd year's (more expensive) tuition rate.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 pm

brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Their asw isn't until April :roll: and I really don't think that's as true as people make it sound. I know several law students who say they treat law school like a 9-5 Sun-Thurs and have Friday and Saturday to themselves. The only time they literally don't have time to go out is closer to finals. I don't doubt law school is a lot of work, but I highly doubt it's so much work that people can't go out/socialize. I think that's more about a choice ppl make. And I'm way too extroverted to make that choice and still be happy lol
Yeah... not appreciating these April ASWs. And totally, I just am that person that recreationally would spend time in the library lol.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:18 pm

twochipmunks wrote:Another perk of summer start: Assuming tuition goes up every year, we get an extra semester at 1st year's (less expensive) tuition rate and one less semester at 3rd year's (more expensive) tuition rate.
This is so true. Don't forget to consider this in your COA calculations, everyone! Haha. :)

Sarastro

Bronze

Post by Sarastro » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:38 pm

twochipmunks wrote:Another perk of summer start: Assuming tuition goes up every year, we get an extra semester at 1st year's (less expensive) tuition rate and one less semester at 3rd year's (more expensive) tuition rate.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:02 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Yeah... not appreciating these April ASWs. And totally, I just am that person that recreationally would spend time in the library lol.
Yeah idk why they do it. Maybe for weather?

I hate studying in the library, but who knows where I'd go lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”