U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What are you doing about housing?

FREAKING OUT - everything is so darn expensive
5
24%
found a place off campus!
7
33%
hoping to get Manville/Ida
7
33%
waiting for May/June to see if more places open up
2
10%
 
Total votes: 21

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:46 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:


thank you!!!

User avatar
gargleblaster
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby gargleblaster » Mon May 01, 2017 1:34 am

Just a friendly tip that there's several FB groups for housing at UCB/the bay area.

Id join those ASAP since housing can be really hard to lock down around here if you're not willing​ to pay top $$. (Especially if u are male)

Don't take it lightly, it can be a real struggle. I've witnessed at least 2 friends not be able to get a place and just gave up and commuted an hour and a half each way every day.

Youre smart tho,You'll probably find a place, just be aware it's harder than like literally every where else in the world.

catalina559
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby catalina559 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:49 am

Is the consensus that it's not at all guaranteed or likely to get Ida/Manville housing? I applied about a month ago and was counting on that, but so many people are looking for outside housing that it makes me worried that I should be doing the same.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:40 pm

catalina559 wrote:Is the consensus that it's not at all guaranteed or likely to get Ida/Manville housing? I applied about a month ago and was counting on that, but so many people are looking for outside housing that it makes me worried that I should be doing the same.


certainly not guaranteed. I'm not sure if its likely or unlikely though because I think it depends on how many people re-up this year.

bleakchimera2
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby bleakchimera2 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Checking in, committed this afternoon! Super excited to start now, August suddenly seems a lot further away than it did last week.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:38 pm

bleakchimera2 wrote:Checking in, committed this afternoon! Super excited to start now, August suddenly seems a lot further away than it did last week.


welcome and congrats !

bleakchimera2
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby bleakchimera2 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:47 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
bleakchimera2 wrote:Checking in, committed this afternoon! Super excited to start now, August suddenly seems a lot further away than it did last week.


welcome and congrats !


Thank you, you too!

4'sup
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:42 am

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby 4'sup » Mon May 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Just committed today, but after looking at the housing situation, I'm getting so stressed. I really don't want to live with roommates anymore, and definitely not with strangers on top of that. I also don't want to live in an entirely different city far from the school. Had to get this off my chest :?

User avatar
NotAGolfer
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby NotAGolfer » Mon May 01, 2017 6:38 pm

bleakchimera2 wrote:Checking in, committed this afternoon! Super excited to start now, August suddenly seems a lot further away than it did last week.

Congrats!! Looking forward to meeting you in August! Now go rep in the Destinations thread, we are currently sorely underrepresented :P

User avatar
NotAGolfer
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby NotAGolfer » Mon May 01, 2017 6:41 pm

4'sup wrote:Just committed today, but after looking at the housing situation, I'm getting so stressed. I really don't want to live with roommates anymore, and definitely not with strangers on top of that. I also don't want to live in an entirely different city far from the school. Had to get this off my chest :?

Yeah the housing search process is ridiculous, especially if you're doing it from out of state. It moves so quickly and I'm afraid I'm going to miss out on places just because I'm not local. I'm hoping the 2L/3L housing search will be better.

Congrats on deciding though! You should go rep in the destinations thread :D

bleakchimera2
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby bleakchimera2 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:32 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:
bleakchimera2 wrote:Checking in, committed this afternoon! Super excited to start now, August suddenly seems a lot further away than it did last week.

Congrats!! Looking forward to meeting you in August! Now go rep in the Destinations thread, we are currently sorely underrepresented :P


Thank you! :) also, re: housing, I get you guys. I'm going to be commuting ~45+ mins each way from my current place for at least a couple months for this reason. When I first moved to the Bay Area for work the only thing I could find was a terrible 1 bd in Walnut Creek for almost 2k/month that was close to nothing at all. My commute was over an hour each way. Housing here is so unbelievable. (But it is all absolutely 9000% worth it)!!!

User avatar
blackbetty92
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby blackbetty92 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 pm

checking in! super excited to meet you all this fall.

also, re: Ida/Manville -- does anyone know when the first offers went out last year? aka when should I just assume its not happening?

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:24 pm

blackbetty92 wrote:checking in! super excited to meet you all this fall.

also, re: Ida/Manville -- does anyone know when the first offers went out last year? aka when should I just assume its not happening?


welcome! if you have not already, please check into the destinations thread!
not sure when the first offers went out last year but I think the earlier preferred start date you put on you application, the higher the chance of getting it

User avatar
Litt1tUp
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby Litt1tUp » Mon May 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Join the FB group for Berkeley Law Class of 2020 if you haven't already! (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1470164359758067)

Couple of meet ups are being planned in different cities!

User avatar
nimbus2020
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby nimbus2020 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:10 am

Sent an email several days ago regarding Manville housing and this is the response I received:

"Thank you for your email and congratulations on getting into Boalt! Please note that I am currently sending out offers for students who want an early lease (May, and June, haven't yet reached July, etc.) and will proceed in chronological lease start date order, will most likely be sending out offers for August start dates in June, early July. It is difficult to predict whether or not citing an earlier 'expected arrival' date will increase your chances of receiving an offer but you are certainly welcome to change your application if you wish. You would need to go back into the housing portal: portal.housing.berkeley.edu if you decide to change your 'Expected Arrival' date. Please note that we don't contact each applicant individually who does *not* receive housing, but rather I will send out a status email to all applicants when spaces all spaces are full. However, please do feel free to contact me with a status inquiry if you wish. Again, please note that at this time of year, my response may be slightly delayed. I hope that is helpful and please feel free to contact me with any further questions."

User avatar
NotAGolfer
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby NotAGolfer » Fri May 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I have a feeling I know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask it anyways.

Anyone have any idea when we find out what our sections are/get our class schedule? I'm guessing it's probably not until orientation, but I really hope it's sooner than that.

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:31 pm

NotAGolfer wrote:I have a feeling I know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask it anyways.

Anyone have any idea when we find out what our sections are/get our class schedule? I'm guessing it's probably not until orientation, but I really hope it's sooner than that.


I think we find out our section early August. Not sure if that includes a class schedule though.

User avatar
blackbetty92
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby blackbetty92 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:39 pm

hey folks who are looking for manville/ida/garden housing, just got an offer for manville last night. if you're hoping to get on campus housing, the advice I got from debbie (which appears to have worked) is to make sure that as one of your options you put "any available housing," and have your earliest possible move-in date be the one in your app. you can always change it to later if an offer isn't made to you by that date but it ensures your app comes up as a possibility for every available open housing option.

User avatar
NotAGolfer
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby NotAGolfer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:48 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:I have a feeling I know the answer to this question already, but I'll ask it anyways.

Anyone have any idea when we find out what our sections are/get our class schedule? I'm guessing it's probably not until orientation, but I really hope it's sooner than that.


I think we find out our section early August. Not sure if that includes a class schedule though.

Thanks, that aligns with my expectations. Still wish it was earlier though :P

arose928
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:05 am

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby arose928 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Hey all, Boalt 2L/rising 3L here, happy to try and answer any questions!

Re: housing. Good luck! Housing is tough.

Re: class schedule. Yeah you will not get it til late in the game, like mid-August. Everyone will have LRW (legal research and writing) on either M/W or T/R from 2:10-3:25, but that's all that's out so far.

catalina559
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby catalina559 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 am

blackbetty92 wrote:hey folks who are looking for manville/ida/garden housing, just got an offer for manville last night. if you're hoping to get on campus housing, the advice I got from debbie (which appears to have worked) is to make sure that as one of your options you put "any available housing," and have your earliest possible move-in date be the one in your app. you can always change it to later if an offer isn't made to you by that date but it ensures your app comes up as a possibility for every available open housing option.


Thanks for the update! When was your move-in date?

User avatar
blackbetty92
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby blackbetty92 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am

catalina559 wrote:
blackbetty92 wrote:hey folks who are looking for manville/ida/garden housing, just got an offer for manville last night. if you're hoping to get on campus housing, the advice I got from debbie (which appears to have worked) is to make sure that as one of your options you put "any available housing," and have your earliest possible move-in date be the one in your app. you can always change it to later if an offer isn't made to you by that date but it ensures your app comes up as a possibility for every available open housing option.


Thanks for the update! When was your move-in date?


I told them I was flexible, could move in at any time after June 5. Debbie said to just put my earliest available move-in date, then keep bumping it back if I hadn't received an offer by that time. I really didn't want to stress about the house-hunt for 1L, so I just gave my earliest date and got an offer that starts June 15th.

It's a little earlier than I would like, but I got the impression that most people are looking for a lease that starts in August and there won't be quite as much available by then. I could be totally off-base on that though.

jdanz
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby jdanz » Wed May 17, 2017 11:51 am

Chemerinsky has been named dean!

User avatar
dietcoke1
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: U.C. Berkeley (Boalt Hall) - Class of 2020

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:09 pm

jdanz wrote:Chemerinsky has been named dean!


awesome!!!



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest