Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
69%
No
23%
Sitting on an Extension
8%

Total votes: 26

renc56

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:58 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
renc56 wrote:Current students:
where do you all suggest to park for ASD? parking garages are expensive for 5 hours.

When I visited a while ago I think it was $8 all day at the San jacinto garage. It's close to the school if you don't mind a 5 minute walk.

Edit: I looked it up it's $15 for 5 hours. Idk how I got $8, but I'm pretty sure that's all I paid.

I was about to say, it's not $8! lol (go you for getting cheap-ish parking)

I think you parked at the Health Center garage (HCG): https://parking.utexas.edu/parking/gara ... rates.html which is a 1.1 mile or so walk

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm

If you can find a spot along Dean Keeton (runs right along the front of the law school) then it's $1 per hour, max 5 hours (I think). The issue is that it's usually pretty full after 9am and until 4pm or so and you'll have to hope you catch an open spot.

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 pm

cannibal ox wrote:If you can find a spot along Dean Keeton (runs right along the front of the law school) then it's $1 per hour, max 5 hours (I think). The issue is that it's usually pretty full after 9am and until 4pm or so and you'll have to hope you catch an open spot.

How's the parking in the residential areas nearby?

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

renc56 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:If you can find a spot along Dean Keeton (runs right along the front of the law school) then it's $1 per hour, max 5 hours (I think). The issue is that it's usually pretty full after 9am and until 4pm or so and you'll have to hope you catch an open spot.

It's all going to be paid parking unless you get away from the entire UT campus, and even then it's pretty full up. The other week I had to park a friend's car and I couldn't find a spot closer than a half mile from the edge of campus. YMMV, of course.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:43 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
renc56 wrote:

It's all going to be paid parking unless you get away from the entire UT campus, and even then it's pretty full up. The other week I had to park a friend's car and I couldn't find a spot closer than a half mile from the edge of campus. YMMV, of course.

When I used to drive to campus I would park on one of the residential streets next to Red River (by the HEB) and then take the Red River shuttle in to campus.

Eta: It was free and I never had a problem

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Finally have all of my offers. When do you guys think would be the best time to submit the reconsideration form? Now, after ASD II, or wait until after the 1st seat deposit to see if money frees up?

dietcoke1

Silver

Postby dietcoke1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Torres1893 wrote:Finally have all of my offers. When do you guys think would be the best time to submit the reconsideration form? Now, after ASD II, or wait until after the 1st seat deposit to see if money frees up?

if you wait until after the seat deposit then don't you lose some leverage? at that point, you are already committed to going (assuming you are not willing to pull out at that point)

TheWalrus

Silver

Postby TheWalrus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:44 pm

I parked at the LBJ library(which is somewhat risky) but if you wanted too you could park near schoolhouse(a bar) and it's like a 10 minute walk for free.

Tazewell

Bronze

Postby Tazewell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:48 pm

Has anyone sent in an email asking for a seat deposit extension and been granted one? I did a few days ago but haven't heard anything back from them.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:Finally have all of my offers. When do you guys think would be the best time to submit the reconsideration form? Now, after ASD II, or wait until after the 1st seat deposit to see if money frees up?

if you wait until after the seat deposit then don't you lose some leverage? at that point, you are already committed to going (assuming you are not willing to pull out at that point)

I figured since the seat deposit is due a week before the other school I'm interested in it would give me some time to see if Texas ups their offer. If they don't I'd just lose $200. It's bit risky though.

I think I'll just submit it on Monday and hope that they get back to me before next Friday.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Tazewell wrote:Has anyone sent in an email asking for a seat deposit extension and been granted one? I did a few days ago but haven't heard anything back from them.

I read in last year's thread that the admissions office denied extending the deadline to students who were admitted before March.

Tazewell

Bronze

Postby Tazewell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:58 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:Has anyone sent in an email asking for a seat deposit extension and been granted one? I did a few days ago but haven't heard anything back from them.

I read in last year's thread that the admissions office denied extending the deadline to students who were admitted before March.

Thanks!

renc56

Bronze

Postby renc56 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks for the parking advice! I know I'm going to be spending like $20ish in parking later that day and the next so I'd rather not rack up the costs.

Tazewell

Bronze

Postby Tazewell » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Just got an email saying they will grant me the week extension that I asked for. Hopefully that will be useful information to some of you!

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:14 am

so do y'all want to meet up somewhere at check in tomorrow? that way we have a tls group or something.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:16 am

Torres1893 wrote:so do y'all want to meet up somewhere at check in tomorrow? that way we have a tls group or something.

you can find me by the tacos

Tx878

New

Postby Tx878 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Torres1893 wrote:so do y'all want to meet up somewhere at check in tomorrow? that way we have a tls group or something.

Yes! I'll be the girl eating tacos crying of happiness because I'm somewhere that isn't work

Babe-Loblaw

New

Postby Babe-Loblaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:10 pm

Hey, if any of you were UT undergrads and have your scholarship info but not your FAN yet, email the office and see what's up. Apparently I've been missing out on grant money because I had a bar left over from my undergrad that I didn't know about, which is, well... frustrating to say the least because state grants are first come, first serve and I should have been in the pool for money weeks ago. See y'all at ASD, I'm gonna go cartwheel into the sun.

TheWalrus

Silver

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:25 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:Hey, if any of you were UT undergrads and have your scholarship info but not your FAN yet, email the office and see what's up. Apparently I've been missing out on grant money because I had a bar left over from my undergrad that I didn't know about, which is, well... frustrating to say the least because state grants are first come, first serve and I should have been in the pool for money weeks ago. See y'all at ASD, I'm gonna go cartwheel into the sun.

Unrelated, but this reminded me of it, if you took time off before you applied to law school, you still have to send your transcript to admissions - was a huge pain 1L year getting that situated.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Postby Babe-Loblaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:Hey, if any of you were UT undergrads and have your scholarship info but not your FAN yet, email the office and see what's up. Apparently I've been missing out on grant money because I had a bar left over from my undergrad that I didn't know about, which is, well... frustrating to say the least because state grants are first come, first serve and I should have been in the pool for money weeks ago. See y'all at ASD, I'm gonna go cartwheel into the sun.

Unrelated, but this reminded me of it, if you took time off before you applied to law school, you still have to send your transcript to admissions - was a huge pain 1L year getting that situated.

Wait, like... separately from the LSAC? Because I definitely took time off but I can't imagine they would have admitted me without my transcript.

TheWalrus

Silver

Postby TheWalrus » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Wait, like... separately from the LSAC? Because I definitely took time off but I can't imagine they would have admitted me without my transcript.

Yep, makes no sense.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Postby Babe-Loblaw » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:45 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Yep, makes no sense.

Hahaaa, I'm glad the UT tradition of not telling you about requirements until you're getting screwed for not completing them lives on at the law school, too. Hook 'em!

Tazewell

Bronze

Postby Tazewell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Yep, makes no sense.

Hahaaa, I'm glad the UT tradition of not telling you about requirements until you're getting screwed for not completing them lives on at the law school, too. Hook 'em!

I remember reading that requirement in the acceptance letter that they sent, but it's been while. I believe they did say that if UT was your degree granting institution then you don't need to send your official one in, but check on that instead of just taking my word on it.

Torres1893

Bronze

Postby Torres1893 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:29 pm

Got to Austin finally. My allergies have gone haywired. Hopefully it won't affect me too much tomorrow.

Tx878

New

Postby Tx878 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Tazewell wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
Babe-Loblaw wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

Yep, makes no sense.

I remember reading that requirement in the acceptance letter that they sent, but it's been while. I believe they did say that if UT was your degree granting institution then you don't need to send your official one in, but check on that instead of just taking my word on it.

You're correct!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?