Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

cannibal ox

Gold

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 am

Torres1893 wrote:Anyone else get the drawstring bag for sending in the deposit? It's kind of cool. I guess I can take it to the gym or something. There is also a note from Farnsworth and he mentions you can get a copy of his book by emailing him.
I didn't get a bag when I deposited (in 2014), AND I had to BUY Farnsworth's book (to take his class). Wow, rude.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am

Torres1893 wrote:Anyone else get the drawstring bag for sending in the deposit? It's kind of cool. I guess I can take it to the gym or something. There is also a note from Farnsworth and he mentions you can get a copy of his book by emailing him.
I got the book by e-mailing admissions because I saw it on their website and someone on this board mentioned it earlier.

Huh I didn't get anything except an e-mail for depositing..

camh344

New

Post by camh344 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:16 am

No bag for me yet. I'll be on the lookout.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

I live in Houston so that might be why I got it sooner than y'all.

By it looks cool I just meant that it's black and has Texas Law on it. Other than that it looks like every other cheap draw string bag. At least it has side pockets.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Torres1893 wrote:I live in Houston so that might be why I got it sooner than y'all.

By it looks cool I just meant that it's black and has Texas Law on it. Other than that it looks like every other cheap draw string bag. At least it has side pockets.
After I asked via e-mail for the Farnsworth's book, I got it in under 2 days. Good to know they express mail it, if you're dying to read it this weekend or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm

V excited about this lol

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote: V excited about this lol
you deposited??

futureellewoods123

Bronze

Post by futureellewoods123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

amta wrote:
futureellewoods123 wrote: V excited about this lol
you deposited??
Yeah I did end up depositing!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

futureellewoods123 wrote: Yeah I did end up depositing!
please check in: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=300

Hook 'Em!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:25 pm

For 1L/2L/3Ls that lurk: anecdotal-wise do you see others in your class getting jobs and networking? How's that going for them?

(I decided to lurk around the legal employment section and wondering how bad it is in the TX market for new attorneys and I've been reading Into the Vale....)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

renc56 wrote:For 1L/2L/3Ls that lurk: anecdotal-wise do you see others in your class getting jobs and networking? How's that going for them?

(I decided to lurk around the legal employment section and wondering how bad it is in the TX market for new attorneys and I've been reading Into the Vale....)
I'm a 4L working in Houston right now. Sure, people get jobs. What specifically are you asking? (I don't mean that to be condescending just wondering what kind of info you're looking for)

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Are you asking specifically about people who strike out during OCI but still want firm jobs? People who want PI or government? I don't know how much I can help outside of biglaw seeking kids, but the more specific you make your question the more likely one of us UT olds can help.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
renc56 wrote:For 1L/2L/3Ls that lurk: anecdotal-wise do you see others in your class getting jobs and networking? How's that going for them?

I'm a 4L working in Houston right now. Sure, people get jobs. What specifically are you asking? (I don't mean that to be condescending just wondering what kind of info you're looking for)
No worries about tone. I'm interested in those who seek out BigLaw and MidLaw positions, whether or not they struck out at OCI.

I guess I am used to reading horror stories of people who accumulate a lot of debt and do "everything right" (in terms of decent grades, clerking or having positions after 2L, being likeable) but end up stressed and jobless after the end of 3L and months after graduation.

I realize there's a lot of factors that can go into this such as areas of study/focus, past work experience, and networking. Not to mention that these are all anecdotal experience and cautionary don't-go-to-law-school articles.. I'm just wondering how to not set myself up to be in a similar position and how bad it's been securing a job and whether or not your peers are employed somewhere they're at least mildly happy about.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:42 pm

Got the drawstring bag in the mail today, too.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:53 pm

renc56 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

No worries about tone. I'm interested in those who seek out BigLaw and MidLaw positions, whether or not they struck out at OCI.

I guess I am used to reading horror stories of people who accumulate a lot of debt and do "everything right" (in terms of decent grades, clerking or having positions after 2L, being likeable) but end up stressed and jobless after the end of 3L and months after graduation.

I realize there's a lot of factors that can go into this such as areas of study/focus, past work experience, and networking. Not to mention that these are all anecdotal experience and cautionary don't-go-to-law-school articles.. I'm just wondering how to not set myself up to be in a similar position and how bad it's been securing a job and whether or not your peers are employed somewhere they're at least mildly happy about.
This is going to be the least helpful answer ever given on this forum, but everyone I know that wanted big law and had the grades got it. The market is really good right now for big law. People who are doing big law would be more helpful, but my understanding is that 1L summer doesn't have much to do with getting a job after grad, more about second summer and knowing you are committed.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Does anyone know the process of getting a parking pass?

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 pm

Tazewell wrote:Does anyone know the process of getting a parking pass?
https://parking.utexas.edu/parking/student/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:40 pm

There's no reason someone gunning for biglaw shouldn't be able to land 35-40 interviews (screeners) through OCI, mass mailing, and interview programs. There are ways to hustle up more interviews than the average kid with your same GPA, I would write up a little how-to that worked for me and others I know of, but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested (plus it's early to be thinking of that).

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 pm

Are you thinking about doing a garage or the surface pass? The garages go out really quick. Especially the one right by the law school. Just a heads up as someone who suffered through parking at UT as an undergrad and as a UT employee post grad lol. I'm not really sure when the garage passes for fall go on sale especially since I'll have a student one now I guess rather than employee but ill post here when it does!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:50 pm

BVest wrote:
Isn't there some trick where you buy a cheap pass for the summer and get first dibs on a fall garage parking pass? Please enlighten these 0Ls, cause I think you've posted about this before.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Tx878 wrote:
Are you thinking about doing a garage or the surface pass? The garages go out really quick. Especially the one right by the law school. Just a heads up as someone who suffered through parking at UT as an undergrad and as a UT employee post grad lol. I'm not really sure when the garage passes for fall go on sale especially since I'll have a student one now I guess rather than employee but ill post here when it does!
It says that they'll open it up in July, but if you can get an exact date/time, that would be amazing! I was hoping to do the garage right by the law school, so thanks for the heads up about it being so difficult. Do you know if they prioritize who can get them when, or it just a mad rush whenever they open them up and it's first come first served?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm

1L OOS'er & minority who is pretty happy with how things turned out. Feel free to PM with any questions you might have

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:47 pm

Got the call today that I got off the waitlist for my apartment :mrgreen:

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 am

cannibal ox wrote:
BVest wrote:
Isn't there some trick where you buy a cheap pass for the summer and get first dibs on a fall garage parking pass? Please enlighten these 0Ls, cause I think you've posted about this before.
Yes, or at least there was 4 years ago. You'll need an EID, so that might be tricky for new UT students. I already had an EID from my previous stint on campus. Since I don't remember much else, I searched and quoted (from the 2018 thread).
BVest wrote:FWIW (and mind you, I came in as a transfer who had attended UT a few years prior, so I already had a UT EID), during the summer prior to starting, I was able to buy a MAG (Manor Garage) pass for the summer which allowed me to get on the waitlist for SJG. By the time I started (actually, by the time my OCI started), my number came up on the waitlist and I had SJG. It required me purchasing a summer permit (like $120, IIRC), but it was worth it to me.

I have no idea how much of my ability to do that was related to my prior attendance of UT (and thus having a full UT EID already), and therefore whether folks who have never attended UT could do that, but look into it if you want.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am

TheWalrus wrote:
renc56 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

This is going to be the least helpful answer ever given on this forum, but everyone I know that wanted big law and had the grades got it. The market is really good right now for big law. People who are doing big law would be more helpful, but my understanding is that 1L summer doesn't have much to do with getting a job after grad, more about second summer and knowing you are committed.
So basically I should stop worrying and learn to love the bomb?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”