Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

renc56

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

Post by renc56 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 am

Do any UT students on TLS do pro bono/care at all about getting a pro bono award? If so, do you have any tips or some personal experiences about completing UT's pro bono projects/days that there are clinics held?

I volunteer to relax so this would be one of the four things I'm assuming I will do that is not studying.

Daaltaraan

New

Post by Daaltaraan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 am

If any of y'all are from the Dallas area, let's get together before school starts sometime. I only know two fellow 1L's so I wouldn't mind meeting more before school and the craziness starts.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:55 am

renc56 wrote:Do any UT students on TLS do pro bono/care at all about getting a pro bono award? If so, do you have any tips or some personal experiences about completing UT's pro bono projects/days that there are clinics held?

I volunteer to relax so this would be one of the four things I'm assuming I will do that is not studying.
I got some pro bono awards. Do you have any specific ?'s Or just want general info?

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Hey y'all! 3L here. Hope everyone's excited to start! UT has been an amazing school for me, and I can honestly say everything I have experienced from the first day I moved to Austin 2 years ago (man, time flies) until now has far exceeded my wildest expectations.

Mini-pep talk aside, I have some old hornbooks, textbooks, etc. from 1L that really helped me and I'm trying to sell them off now. For example, I had McGarity for torts and the hornbook I used + the flash cards saved my life in that class because it a was closed note exam and my last final of my first semester (the struggle gets real, trust me).

I don't know if they've released your classes yet, but this stuff should help regardless of who you have. I also have some old outlines + my own outlines that I can email y'all.

Last thing: amta is a terrible OP.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm

rnoodles wrote:Hey y'all! 3L here. Hope everyone's excited to start! UT has been an amazing school for me, and I can honestly say everything I have experienced from the first day I moved to Austin 2 years ago (man, time flies) until now has far exceeded my wildest expectations.

Mini-pep talk aside, I have some old hornbooks, textbooks, etc. from 1L that really helped me and I'm trying to sell them off now. For example, I had McGarity for torts and the hornbook I used + the flash cards saved my life in that class because it a was closed note exam and my last final of my first semester (the struggle gets real, trust me).

I don't know if they've released your classes yet, but this stuff should help regardless of who you have. I also have some old outlines + my own outlines that I can email y'all.

Last thing: amta is a terrible OP.
considering im your alt, speak for yourself....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:58 pm

btw, rnoodles is a usc fan despite attending UT.

[+] Spoiler
snek

rnoodles

Platinum

Post by rnoodles » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:09 pm

cash me ousside SC washin my boi sammy d avenge us HOWBOWDAH

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:33 pm

rnoodles wrote:Hey y'all! 3L here. Hope everyone's excited to start! UT has been an amazing school for me, and I can honestly say everything I have experienced from the first day I moved to Austin 2 years ago (man, time flies) until now has far exceeded my wildest expectations.
i think someone hacked into rnoodles's account
rnoodles wrote:Mini-pep talk aside, I have some old hornbooks, textbooks, etc. from 1L that really helped me and I'm trying to sell them off now.
oh nvm this makes sense now

renc56

Bronze

Post by renc56 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 am

TheWalrus wrote:
renc56 wrote:Do any UT students on TLS do pro bono/care at all about getting a pro bono award? If so, do you have any tips or some personal experiences about completing UT's pro bono projects/days that there are clinics held?

I got some pro bono awards. Do you have any specific ?'s Or just want general info?
General info would be nice and/or a broad overview of the type of projects you worked on (time commitment, interest, etc)! I saw a list of previous pro bono projects and they seem like a half-day, low stress commitment. That sounds like something I'd like to at the very least commit too early on in the semester before shit hits the fan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:14 am

I did not do any of the campus pro bono stuff, but I did (1) get the emails and (2) get a torchbearers (100+ hours) recognition.

(1) Emails

Here are some typical emails:
[+] Spoiler
Pro Bono in January Trip
Rio Grande Valley, Jan. 11-16

Pro Bono in January applications were released this week! It was great to meet everyone who stopped by our table in the atrium to pick up an application. Trip information and the application also is available online. Applications are due by noon on Monday, November 3.

We have a great slate of projects this year, and hope that many of you will apply for the opportunity join us on this trip.

Texas Title Project Gulf Coast Trip
Galveston County, Jan. 6-7

This year we’re also working with the Texas Title Project on a second winter break trip to the Gulf Coast. Students who participate in this trip will conduct a Homestead Exemption and Wills Clinic to help low-income disaster victims. This trip will take place the week before Pro Bono in January, so interested students can apply to participate in both trips! Also, students who will be in the Houston area during the winter break can elect to participate in the Homestead Exemption and Wills Clinic and a mandatory pre-clinic training on January 6 without an overnight stay.

The Gulf Coast trip application can be found here and is due my noon on Monday, November 3.

And a final reminder—tomorrow is the annual Texas Law Pro Bono Luncheon:

Big Firm Pro Bono: Helping Clients, Increasing Nonprofit Capacity, and Enriching Law Firm Practice
Thursday, October 23, 11:45 am – 1 pm
TNH 3.142
First email of a school year
[+] Spoiler
From the UT Law Pro Bono Program:

Welcome to the UT Law Pro Bono Program listserv! This listserv will be used to send occasional emails with information about pro bono opportunities, training sessions, and events. You are receiving this email because you signed the Pro Bono Pledge.

Upcoming Projects and Trainings
To volunteer email Sarah Sedgwick at ssedgwick@law.utexas.edu

Asylum Project with American Gateways
Student volunteers will work with pro bono lawyers to prepare asylum cases for immigrants who have fled their home countries because of persecution and/or torture due to their race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group.

· Training Date: Tuesday, September 23, 5:45pm-7:00pm (WWJC Conference Room, CCJ 1.324)
· Project Start Date: September 2014
· Class Year Preference: 2L, 3L, LLM

Expunction Clinic (Intake) with UT Law Pro Bono Program
Student volunteers will assist clients in determining their eligibility for expunction. Volunteers also will make sure clients have their complete criminal records and any supporting documents they need to file an expunction petition.

· Training Date: Friday, September 26, 11 am–12 pm OR Monday, September 29, 5pm-6pm (Location on campus TBD)
· Clinic Date: Tuesday, September 30, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm (Location TBD)
· Class Year Preference: 1L, 2L, 3L, LLM

Expunction Clinic (Document Prep) with UT Law Pro Bono Program
Student volunteers will assist intake clinic clients who are eligible for an expunction by preparing all documents clients need to file a petition for an expunction of their criminal records.

· Training Date: Wednesday, October 22; Students will be trained to complete expunction and NDO petitions in the first 30 minutes of the work session (Location on campus TBD)
· Work Session: Wednesday, October 22, 5:30 pm-8:30 pm

Family Reunification Project with Austin/Travis County Reentry Roundtable
Student volunteers will assist in efforts to support family reunification following an individual's release from incarceration by researching existing family reunification and housing reentry programs in other jurisdictions.

· Training Date: Rolling; The supervising attorney will be available to answer questions throughout the project

U Visa Assistance with Catholic Charities of Central Texas
Students will work with immigrant survivors of crime to complete applications for legal status in the United States by submitting applications for U Visas. In addition, students will write a brief letter explaining the legal arguments for clients’ eligibility for the U Visa.

· Training Date: Thursday, September 25, 11:50 am-12:50 pm (WWJC Conference Room, CCJ 1.324)

(2) You don't have to do your pro bono hours through the school. If you do a non-profit or government internship, I suggest you do that for credit (so that your 3L is a lot easier). However, those for-credit opportunities have a minimum number of hours you have to work in order to get credit, and any hours you complete above and beyond the requirement can be counted toward your pro bono hours.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BirdLawExpert

Gold

Post by BirdLawExpert » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 am

cannibal ox wrote:
i think someone hacked into rnoodles's account
rnoodles wrote:Mini-pep talk aside, I have some old hornbooks, textbooks, etc. from 1L that really helped me and I'm trying to sell them off now.
oh nvm this makes sense now
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:30 am

what do y'all think of those Barbri 1L prep classes?

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:44 am

Tx878 wrote:what do y'all think of those Barbri 1L prep classes?
Don't. Enjoy your last free summer. Nothing you do know will help you much in the fall.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:16 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Don't. Enjoy your last free summer. Nothing you do know will help you much in the fall.

That's what I was learning towards. I don't really wanna spend one of my last few weeks in a prep class from 7am-5pm..but I saw a number of people in the FB group talking about doing it and wondered if I was missing something

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Tx878 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

That's what I was learning towards. I don't really wanna spend one of my last few weeks in a prep class from 7am-5pm..but I saw a number of people in the FB group talking about doing it and wondered if I was missing something
This is your first opportunity to ignore what your classmates are doing. You're going to have to do this a lot. It's the hardest thing to do, basically impossible, but necessary to keep in mind throughout 1L. What works for you isn't going to be what works for your classmates, and vice versa. Trying to follow what classmates do is going to stress you out and probably do more harm than good.

As for the Barbri 1L materials I found them moderately helpful. I think I signed up for $50 and got access to all their outlines and videos (my $50 was put towards my bar material price, but that's a long ways off for you). Some of the videos are really helpful (Freer for Civ Pro) and some are just meh, but if you're struggling with a subject sometimes hearing it from another source can clear it up for you.

Additionally, the reason you shouldn't be doing any prep right now is because you don't know your professor. The most important thing for 1L exams is to write for your professor, and since there's so much material in each 1L subject your professor might skip areas that other professors spend a lot of time on. If the Barbri professor teaches it one way and your professor teaches it completely differently, you need to latch onto your professor's way and spit that back at them for the exam.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Tx878 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

This is your first opportunity to ignore what your classmates are doing. You're going to have to do this a lot. It's the hardest thing to do, basically impossible, but necessary to keep in mind throughout 1L. What works for you isn't going to be what works for your classmates, and vice versa. Trying to follow what classmates do is going to stress you out and probably do more harm than good.

As for the Barbri 1L materials I found them moderately helpful. I think I signed up for $50 and got access to all their outlines and videos (my $50 was put towards my bar material price, but that's a long ways off for you). Some of the videos are really helpful (Freer for Civ Pro) and some are just meh, but if you're struggling with a subject sometimes hearing it from another source can clear it up for you.

Additionally, the reason you shouldn't be doing any prep right now is because you don't know your professor. The most important thing for 1L exams is to write for your professor, and since there's so much material in each 1L subject your professor might skip areas that other professors spend a lot of time on. If the Barbri professor teaches it one way and your professor teaches it completely differently, you need to latch onto your professor's way and spit that back at them for the exam.

Great advice and definitely what I needed to hear about ignoring my classmates. Thank you.

Babe-Loblaw

New

Post by Babe-Loblaw » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm

The 1L class grid is up if you're an obsessive monster like me and want to look at that sort of thing:

https://law.utexas.edu/courses/catalog/ ... year/20179

Can't wait to try on the sorting hat and find out my class schedule.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:36 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:The 1L class grid is up if you're an obsessive monster like me and want to look at that sort of thing:

Earliest classes are at 9:10. I was expecting a little earlier, but at least I have more time to hit the gym before class.

camh344

New

Post by camh344 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:39 pm

Babe-Loblaw wrote:The 1L class grid is up if you're an obsessive monster like me and want to look at that sort of thing:

Looks like we will have two small classes (about 20 students) and two large classes (about 70 students). Assuming 270 1L's.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Your LRW class will be 1/4th of your section and 1 of your 3 doctrinal classes will also be 1/4th of your section (but a different mix than LRW).

Your LRW class is the group with the same mentor (2L or 3L mentor) group.

Second semester you'll have the same LRW class/group and then all 3 doctrinals will be with with your large section (~70).

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:52 am

my SO got her 1L schedule yesterday and i am jelly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm

amta wrote:my SO got her 1L schedule yesterday and i am jelly.

Ugh I'm so ready to get ours!!!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Tx878 wrote:
amta wrote:my SO got her 1L schedule yesterday and i am jelly.
Ugh I'm so ready to get ours!!!
nice tar, brother.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Moved in for good today! Feels good to be here!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm moving out next week :cry: Have fun at school law babbys (i'm in between wishing i had another 3 years in school to fuck around, and you-couldnt-pay-me-enough-to-be-a-1L-again)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”