Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Have you deposited?

Yes
71%
No
21%
Sitting on an Extension
7%

Total votes: 28

Tx878

Bronze

Re: Texas Law c/o 2020 - Hook 'em!!! [Under New Management]

Post by Tx878 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:40 pm

What are y'all doing for parking/transport to school?

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:13 pm

Tx878 wrote:What are y'all doing for parking/transport to school?
I got a San Jacinto Garage pass

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:29 pm

I got my apartment like a half mile from the law school so I plan on walking or taking the bus, which luckily has a stop right in front my apartment.

Tx878

Bronze

Post by Tx878 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:35 pm

Tazewell wrote:
I got a San Jacinto Garage pass

Damn, I tried so soon after they went on sale and it was already out. I didn't remember it being that bad from undergrad

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:49 pm

I want to start ordering my books, but it sucks that you can't prepay for rental copies at the co-op on their website. I don't move for another week, so hopefully they have some copies left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 pm

Torres1893 wrote:I want to start ordering my books, but it sucks that you can't prepay for rental copies at the co-op on their website. I don't move for another week, so hopefully they have some copies left.
If you have it, use Amazon prime.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:32 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:I want to start ordering my books, but it sucks that you can't prepay for rental copies at the co-op on their website. I don't move for another week, so hopefully they have some copies left.
I got it, but some of amazon's rental prices are $20+ more than the co-op or other websites. Thing is I don't know if I trust the other sites though like Chegg and Knetbooks for rentals.

If I go through only the co-op and Amazon I'll be paying ~$600. Which sounds reasonable, but would be ~$200 more than using the other sites.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:
I got it, but some of amazon's rental prices are $20+ more than the co-op or other websites. Thing is I don't know if I trust the other sites though like Chegg and Knetbooks for rentals.

If I go through only the co-op and Amazon I'll be paying ~$600. Which sounds reasonable, but would be ~$200 more than using the other sites.
That's crazy, don't think I ever spent nearly that much. Especially after 1L year.

Also, go ahead and buy the bluebook, you and everyone else will need it past first semester. And if you want to save money, I wouldn't have bought the red book if I had to do it over again. I never once opened that thing. But ymmv.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:54 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

That's crazy, don't think I ever spent nearly that much. Especially after 1L year.

Also, go ahead and buy the bluebook, you and everyone else will need it past first semester. And if you want to save money, I wouldn't have bought the red book if I had to do it over again. I never once opened that thing. But ymmv.
I already own the bluebook in the 18th edition and the greenbook in the 12th edition from when I took paralegal courses at a local cc. Do you think I should get the new editions or use these? The new editions are 20th and 13th.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:

I used Chegg a couple of times for 1L, and it was fine.
Chegg it is then.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Never used Chegg but know people who did, so I would +1 that recommendation.

Also $600 is normal for Fall 1L, don't let Walrus make you feel bad. You'll get better at knowing how to buy books as your lawl school career goes on. Eventually you can stop buying casebooks, tbh.

I never opened the Red Book (but I packed it and brought it with me when I moved this week, wtf) and the Green Book didn't help cause I still don't know how the fuck to cite Texas cases. Buy the Blue Book. Idk if it's assigned but How A Lawyer Writes is really good for basics and I even used it during my SA.

Good luck kiddos.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:07 am

Tbf, I am extremely frugal(cheap) with my money. Also, my one major piece of advice to 1ls is to try and spend an equal amount of time per class (except LRW).

But if you have mullenix for civ pro, the big thing I wish I knew was do, but don't really stress over her horrible workbook. Mullenix's class is extremely frustrating and I spent the most amount of time on it and it was my worst grade. I was doing the best in my study group on the practice exams, but bombed the exam. You will hear a lot of stories like this, because her exam is bogus, but since you now know this, just concentrate on the rules and focus more on your other classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:30 am

TheWalrus wrote:Also, my one major piece of advice to 1ls is to try and spend an equal amount of time per class (except LRW).
I 100% disagree with you here.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:53 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
TheWalrus wrote:Also, my one major piece of advice to 1ls is to try and spend an equal amount of time per class (except LRW).
I 100% disagree with you here.
So do I, but I meant in the beginning since they are going to be confused about everything, but once they give you access to the outline banks you can, and should, switch over to addressing your weaknesses.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah you're not going to know what the hell is happening for like 2+ months so spending all of your time on one subject or another is gonna be a waste of time. Just try and keep your head above water until it begins to click.

One class will click before the others, and some classes won't click until a week before the exam. Don't stress. That's normal.

Also don't do the LRW readings until you're actually doing an assignment. God that stuff was such a waste of time to do in preparation for class.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:43 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Yeah you're not going to know what the hell is happening for like 2+ months so spending all of your time on one subject or another is gonna be a waste of time. Just try and keep your head above water until it begins to click.

One class will click before the others, and some classes won't click until a week before the exam. Don't stress. That's normal.

Also don't do the LRW readings until you're actually doing an assignment. God that stuff was such a waste of time to do in preparation for class.
But do click on the assignments on canvas, the teachers can see who clicks and who doesn't.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

skedaddle

New

Post by skedaddle » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
I already own the bluebook in the 18th edition and the greenbook in the 12th edition from when I took paralegal courses at a local cc. Do you think I should get the new editions or use these? The new editions are 20th and 13th.
The bluebook was updated while I was in paralegal school (18th to 19th edition) and the previous edition served me just fine. The page numbers were sometimes different, but the content was otherwise identical. I'm planning to start with the 18th edition and see how it goes.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:12 pm

skedaddle wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
The bluebook was updated while I was in paralegal school (18th to 19th edition) and the previous edition served me just fine. The page numbers were sometimes different, but the content was otherwise identical. I'm planning to start with the 18th edition and see how it goes.
I ordered copies of the latest editions for pick up at the co-op. If they look real similar I'll just return them and use the older editions. I feel like doing the same with the contract law textbook tbh.

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Torres1893 wrote:
skedaddle wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
I ordered copies of the latest editions for pick up at the co-op. If they look real similar I'll just return them and use the older editions. I feel like doing the same with the contract law textbook tbh.
Who's your prof?

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 pm

TheWalrus wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
skedaddle wrote:
Torres1893 wrote:
Who's your prof?
Jens C. Dammann for contracts

Blinkova for Legal Analysis

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheWalrus

Silver

Post by TheWalrus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:51 pm

LRW you should be fine, but I would check online to get a feel for the difference, but the basics should be the same.Also, Blinkova is great.

And I didn't have the contracts professor, but having a different edition with a textbook can be tricky because of the case order and slight variations with cases. If you want to risk it, I would just make a friend and make sure your cases are right each time. I had a friend who did that for torts first semester, and it was fine, if not a bit incovenient.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:14 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torres1893

Bronze

Post by Torres1893 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:10 pm

I couldn't decide whether to ship the rental copy of contracts to my Houston address and risk it getting here after I move or ship it to my apartment. By the time I decided amazon removed the casebook from my cart because someone else got it. This has happened to me twice already :x

EvanWilliams2

New

Post by EvanWilliams2 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Torres1893 wrote:I couldn't decide whether to ship the rental copy of contracts to my Houston address and risk it getting here after I move or ship it to my apartment. By the time I decided amazon removed the casebook from my cart because someone else got it. This has happened to me twice already :x
Pro tip: UT has an Amazon pickup store inside Gregory Gym where you can get stuff shipped to if you don't feel comfortable sending it to your apartment. When your package arrives they email you a bar code, you go to Greg Gym and scan it on your phone, and then the machine will spit the package out for you.

http://utexas.amazon.com/gp/campus/spla ... g_redirect

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”