Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What do you want to do immediately after law school and where?

Big Law
35%
Government
4%
Federal Clerkship
16%
Public Interest
1%
Non-Big Law Private Practice
2%
Northeast
18%
South
12%
Midwest
4%
West Coast
6%
International
3%

Total votes: 106

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:16 pm

*Important Dates and Information*

Admitted Students Programs: March 17 / April 7

Visit Vanderbilt! Provided that you obtain pre-approval from our office, we will reimburse up to $400 of the cost of round-trip transportation for admitted students attending an ASP or on a scheduled individual visit. Information on reimbursement pre-approval, travel booking requirements, and much more at the following link.

The deadline for submitting applications for the Law Scholars Merit Awards and the Raymonde I. Paul Scholarship in International Legal Studies has been extended to January 16.

To be considered for need-based scholarships, you must submit the CSS PROFILE form for which the priority deadline is February 15.

Vanderbilt Law School Class of 2020 Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1615805938673024/
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rachel3636

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Post by rachel3636 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Anyone have any ideas where they're living? Trying to scope out some potentials to check out during Admitted Students Weekend.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:01 pm

Do we think next week is the week for scholarship info?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Chipotle85 wrote:Do we think next week is the week for scholarship info?
I think it was mentioned in the c/o 2020 applicants thread that scholarship info would go out in the last week of February or the first week of March, depending on where the financial aid/admissions offices are with evaluating files.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Guess I'll tag this thread.

Recent grad here, available to answer any questions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lfk43

New

Post by lfk43 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Current 3L. Happy to answer questions or at least give it a shot.

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:01 pm

lfk43 wrote:Current 3L. Happy to answer questions or at least give it a shot.

You may have no idea, but are CA big law firms decently represented for the small percentage of people from there? Thank you!

lfk43

New

Post by lfk43 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:06 pm

imtca wrote:

You may have no idea, but are CA big law firms decently represented for the small percentage of people from there? Thank you!
I believe that we have around 4 people in my class that will be going to big law in CA. I think CA big law is doable from VLS, but ties are going to be extremely helpful, if not necessary. VLS doesn't send many students to CA big law every year, but I think a lot of that is self-selection. I don't remember how many students we have from CA, but it isn't a ton. Some of those students come here because they want to work their way east and have no desire to go back to CA. Just some reasons for the low numbers. However, the students that have CA ties, get good enough grades, and desire to return to CA for big law are quite successful from what I have seen.

All things even (i.e. $$$), if you absolutely know that you want CA big law, UC Berkley/UCLA/USC might be better options. If you don't know for sure that you want CA big law, and think maybe you'd like to be elsewhere, VLS could be a more attractive option.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:09 pm

lfk43 wrote:
imtca wrote:

I believe that we have around 4 people in my class that will be going to big law in CA. I think CA big law is doable from VLS, but ties are going to be extremely helpful, if not necessary. VLS doesn't send many students to CA big law every year, but I think a lot of that is self-selection. I don't remember how many students we have from CA, but it isn't a ton. Some of those students come here because they want to work their way east and have no desire to go back to CA. Just some reasons for the low numbers. However, the students that have CA ties, get good enough grades, and desire to return to CA for big law are quite successful from what I have seen.

All things even (i.e. $$$), if you absolutely know that you want CA big law, UC Berkley/UCLA/USC might be better options. If you don't know for sure that you want CA big law, and think maybe you'd like to be elsewhere, VLS could be a more attractive option.
I also have the same question but in regards to Texas. How well does VLS place in Texas for Big Law for someone who has Texas ties?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lfk43

New

Post by lfk43 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Tazewell wrote:
lfk43 wrote:
imtca wrote:

I also have the same question but in regards to Texas. How well does VLS place in Texas for Big Law for someone who has Texas ties?
I would echo a lot of what I said above, but I believe VLS does even better in Texas. I know a lot of people in my class who are going to either Houston or Dallas for big law. Dallas is a city that prefers ties a lot more, whereas Houston likes them but doesn't really require them. I know one person who got a TX big law job but hadn't stepped foot in the state of Texas before the callback. The truth is that the biggest factor for biglaw is going to be grades, but if you have good grades and Texas ties, you should do well looking for a Texas big law job. Additionally you won't be competing with all of your classmates for those jobs, like you might if you go to UT.

Tazewell

Bronze

Post by Tazewell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 pm

lfk43 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
lfk43 wrote:
imtca wrote:

I would echo a lot of what I said above, but I believe VLS does even better in Texas. I know a lot of people in my class who are going to either Houston or Dallas for big law. Dallas is a city that prefers ties a lot more, whereas Houston likes them but doesn't really require them. I know one person who got a TX big law job but hadn't stepped foot in the state of Texas before the callback. The truth is that the biggest factor for biglaw is going to be grades, but if you have good grades and Texas ties, you should do well looking for a Texas big law job. Additionally you won't be competing with all of your classmates for those jobs, like you might if you go to UT.
Thanks for your response! Do you know where you need to be in your class to get big law in Texas? Top third? Top half?

lfk43

New

Post by lfk43 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Tazewell wrote:
lfk43 wrote:
Tazewell wrote:
lfk43 wrote:
imtca wrote:

Thanks for your response! Do you know where you need to be in your class to get big law in Texas? Top third? Top half?
Honestly, I'm not really sure. With ties, maybe top half. Without ties, maybe top third. It's really hard to say because Vandy doesn't rank students, so word never spreads about who is where in the class. However, I'm going big law in TX, and I'd be happy to answer more personal questions via pm.

HowlandReed

New

Post by HowlandReed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am

Hoping to hear about scholly info this week!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 am

HowlandReed wrote:Hoping to hear about scholly info this week!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:40 am

Putting in my own "let's hope for VLMSA notifications this week" voodoo

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:55 pm

I registered for the March 17th admitted students program! Now to get these costs reimbursed! Anyone else heading to Nashville?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 am

tuesdayninja wrote:I registered for the March 17th admitted students program! Now to get these costs reimbursed! Anyone else heading to Nashville?
April ASD for me...got UVA on the 17th

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 am

tuesdayninja wrote:I registered for the March 17th admitted students program! Now to get these costs reimbursed! Anyone else heading to Nashville?
I'm heading down for that one!!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 am

imtca wrote:
I'm heading down for that one!!
Nice! Did you get your travel expenses approved yet? I just emailed the guy for pre-approval. Was hoping I could get into the student housing but it appears full.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Anyone planning to attend the events next Thursday? I RSVP'd for the reception, but it seems like they're having a dinner afterwards followed by bar review, so I'll probably try to attend all three.

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Anyone planning to attend the events next Thursday? I RSVP'd for the reception, but it seems like they're having a dinner afterwards followed by bar review, so I'll probably try to attend all three.
I think I'm gonna try to do all three as well. Any ideas on what dress code should be for the reception, since its at a law firm?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:07 pm

imtca wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Anyone planning to attend the events next Thursday? I RSVP'd for the reception, but it seems like they're having a dinner afterwards followed by bar review, so I'll probably try to attend all three.
I think I'm gonna try to do all three as well. Any ideas on what dress code should be for the reception, since its at a law firm?
I was thinking of going with a tie, but this is my first reception with practicing attorneys/alumni so not sure what the norm is.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm RSVP'd for the Thursday reception too. Where'd you find info about dinner and bar review?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:
I'm RSVP'd for the Thursday reception too. Where'd you find info about dinner and bar review?
They sent me an e-mail about the current Vandy student who's hosting me next week, and the e-mail mentioned that they'd like us to attend the dinner and bar review on Thursday. Was the first time I'd heard of those two events.

If it helps, all it said was that the dinner would be at 8pm somewhere near campus, and bar review is at 10pm.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Anyone staying at the Scarritt Bennett Center next week?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”