Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What do you want to do immediately after law school and where?

Big Law
35%
Government
4%
Federal Clerkship
16%
Public Interest
1%
Non-Big Law Private Practice
2%
Northeast
18%
South
12%
Midwest
4%
West Coast
6%
International
3%

Total votes: 106

do_me_a_favor

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Post by do_me_a_favor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:05 am

Last edited by do_me_a_favor on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:57 am

Going to officially accept my full-ride today! I am THRILLED to join the VLS community. Anyone else officially accept yet?

It is a bit daunting to finally close out this long-winded application process. Can't believe today is the day that this journey ends!

rozes

New

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Post by rozes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:15 am

fips tedora wrote:
ehf9634 wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:for any current Vandy students: is living in east nashville doable for a 1L? stayed in an airbnb there for ASW and really vibed with the area, but I don't wanna feel like i'm a million miles away from everyone else who's just starting out.
As a Nashville native, I probably wouldn't want to make that commute. The traffic would be a nightmare every day trying to get through downtown and onto West End. Just my opinion though!
They could take the bikeway if they're fit enough
Curious about this actually. How bike-friendly is Nashville, particularly at night? Are there dedicated bike lanes? If so, this would open up a new world of housing possibilities for me.

East Nashville seems to only be about 30min away according to Google Maps.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm

rozes wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
ehf9634 wrote:
atlantahoo wrote:for any current Vandy students: is living in east nashville doable for a 1L? stayed in an airbnb there for ASW and really vibed with the area, but I don't wanna feel like i'm a million miles away from everyone else who's just starting out.
As a Nashville native, I probably wouldn't want to make that commute. The traffic would be a nightmare every day trying to get through downtown and onto West End. Just my opinion though!
Curious about this actually. How bike-friendly is Nashville, particularly at night? Are there dedicated bike lanes? If so, this would open up a new world of housing possibilities for me.

Check out the Music City Bikeway. It's dope.

rozes

New

Post by rozes » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:57 pm

fips tedora wrote:
rozes wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
ehf9634 wrote:

WOW. This is awesome — thanks! Go Nashville for being bike friendly!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:06 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:congrats everybody!

vandy person here willing to answer qs

can talk about profs, clerking, big law, compare to t13 options
any advice for the 2L job search?
what should i be doing to prepare this summer?
is mass-mailing a good idea?
what's the most effective way to increase your chance of getting a decent big law job?
Are you a 2L now or a 1l? If you are a 1l now the best thing you can do is focus on grades. Easier said than done but getting good grades opens up so many more options.

Once you have your grades you can start mailing forms in mid to late July.

Mass mailing is not a "good idea" it is necessary if you want big law, especially if you are not the top of the class.

If you want big law you have to apply to NYC, and also try other markets in Texas, Atl, Nashville, D.C. (Although this is very difficult to get)

Most effective way? Getting good grades--> ties--> interview skills

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Last edited by do_me_a_favor on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
do_me_a_favor wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:congrats everybody!

vandy person here willing to answer qs

can talk about profs, clerking, big law, compare to t13 options
any advice for the 2L job search?
what should i be doing to prepare this summer?
is mass-mailing a good idea?
what's the most effective way to increase your chance of getting a decent big law job?
Are you a 2L now or a 1l? If you are a 1l now the best thing you can do is focus on grades. Easier said than done but getting good grades opens up so many more options.

Once you have your grades you can start mailing forms in mid to late July.

Mass mailing is not a "good idea" it is necessary if you want big law, especially if you are not the top of the class.

If you want big law you have to apply to NYC, and also try other markets in Texas, Atl, Nashville, D.C. (Although this is very difficult to get)

Most effective way? Getting good grades--> ties--> interview skills
1L. so lemme ask you also, how does the top 1/3 do in terms of biglaw--assuming good mass mailing, decent interview ability etc. i personally do not have ties to a biglaw market. but i'm willing to live anywhere except probably NY, lol. would prefer something like Texas, Florida, or the west coast.
Top 1/3 usually does well but it can certainly vary, and if you want big law you really can't afford to just not apply to NYC since that's where most big law jobs are. Sure, you might get a job elsewhere but it's not worth not applying to NYC.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 am

pizzagoblin wrote:Going to officially accept my full-ride today! I am THRILLED to join the VLS community. Anyone else officially accept yet?

It is a bit daunting to finally close out this long-winded application process. Can't believe today is the day that this journey ends!
Congrats! Hopefully they still do the dinner for the law scholar recipients. Usually around December or early Spring. Free food and you get to meet everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atlantahoo

New

Post by atlantahoo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 am

rozes wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
rozes wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
ehf9634 wrote:

WOW. This is awesome — thanks! Go Nashville for being bike friendly!
Sweet! Yeah, I currently live in ATL, and traffic can be horrendous here (esp. after the 85 collapse!), so I bike as much as I can.

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:53 am

Southern California native here. Can anyone comment on how cold it gets in Nashville during the winter, temperature-wise?

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:02 pm

estateplanning wrote:Southern California native here. Can anyone comment on how cold it gets in Nashville during the winter, temperature-wise?
Couple weeks in the 30s, maybe a few days in the 20s. You might see a few inches of snow. It certainly is not SoCal but it isn't the Midwest; I would say it is pretty manageable

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:31 am

estateplanning wrote:Southern California native here. Can anyone comment on how cold it gets in Nashville during the winter, temperature-wise?
it gets cold, for a little while, for sure. it's not bad. like BoyJord replied, it gets to about the 30s, even in the 20s for a bit. I moved here last summer and it snowed basically one day since then, a solid couple inches 2-3 months ago. one or two other days it dusted nicely.

i think you're gonna be fine in terms of weather. i'm from a warm state (in fact one of the warmest) and the adjustment has been great. one of my classmates is from Cali and he's made it just fine--though sometimes he wasn't dressed warm enough, lol, so make sure you're not wearing shorts & you have a proper jacket/coat when the temperature drops.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

estateplanning

New

Post by estateplanning » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:40 pm

do_me_a_favor wrote:
it gets cold, for a little while, for sure. it's not bad. like BoyJord replied, it gets to about the 30s, even in the 20s for a bit. I moved here last summer and it snowed basically one day since then, a solid couple inches 2-3 months ago. one or two other days it dusted nicely.

i think you're gonna be fine in terms of weather. i'm from a warm state (in fact one of the warmest) and the adjustment has been great. one of my classmates is from Cali and he's made it just fine--though sometimes he wasn't dressed warm enough, lol, so make sure you're not wearing shorts & you have a proper jacket/coat when the temperature drops.
Thank you for the responses! I appreciate the anecdotal evidence as opposed to just researching online. I'll be sure to pack.

Sombra2017

New

Post by Sombra2017 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:13 am

Really excited for everyone who is visiting tomorrow. It's a great school and Nashville is wonderful as well. Enjoy your time!!

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:27 pm

Is there a Vandy Class of 2020 Facebook page? If so, can someone provide the link? Thanks!

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:40 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:Is there a Vandy Class of 2020 Facebook page? If so, can someone provide the link? Thanks!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1627511714216963/

:)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm

How was the second ASW?

rachel3636

New

Post by rachel3636 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:How was the second ASW?
I might be biased because I already knew I was coming to Vandy before ASW, but I enjoyed it. Friday was a very, very busy day (especially after Bar Review), but that was okay because we got a great look at the school. Prof. Cheng taught the mock class and he was really great. Every professor that I spoke with was brilliant and clearly very passionate about their field. I met some cool students, too. All in all it was a great time and if you want a more specific breakdown of the events, just pm me!

sugarcookie

New

Post by sugarcookie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Wasn't able to attend the ASWs & can't find an updated academic calendar on the website (I may just be missing it) does anyone know where I can find a calendar for the upcoming year?

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:11 pm

For those still considering, new employment numbers dropped:

https://law.vanderbilt.edu/2016-EmploymentSummary.pdf

56.7% Big Law + Fed Clerk rate

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:55 pm

Last edited by do_me_a_favor on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbq23

New

Post by cbq23 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Are the numbers only higher because the class size is smaller though? Vanderbilt's class size last year was comparatively huge!

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 pm

Last edited by do_me_a_favor on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:42 pm

I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”