Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What do you want to do immediately after law school and where?

Big Law
32
33%
Government
3
3%
Federal Clerkship
17
18%
Public Interest
1
1%
Non-Big Law Private Practice
2
2%
Northeast
16
16%
South
13
13%
Midwest
4
4%
West Coast
6
6%
International
3
3%
 
Total votes: 97

rachel3636
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Postby rachel3636 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."


Hey! I was at the second ASW as well. Can I ask what al parts of Nashville you saw/visited? Obviously campus/broadway, but definitely get out and check out some of the other neighborhoods in Nashville too. If you're not big into the country music and bachelorette party thing, broadway can be a little much. There are a lot of really fun, cool things to do around Nashville though! Just my input as someone who wasn't 100% sold on Nashville the first time I visited either (love it now though!)

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:11 am

rachel3636 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."


Hey! I was at the second ASW as well. Can I ask what al parts of Nashville you saw/visited? Obviously campus/broadway, but definitely get out and check out some of the other neighborhoods in Nashville too. If you're not big into the country music and bachelorette party thing, broadway can be a little much. There are a lot of really fun, cool things to do around Nashville though! Just my input as someone who wasn't 100% sold on Nashville the first time I visited either (love it now though!)


Definitely! I think it's a cool city but just different. I've lived on the east coast my entire life so Bar Review was kind of a culture shock. I checked out the area near school (obviously), as well as Music Row, Broadway, area near the Parthenon, and the Gulch.

Nothing wrong with anything, but I just might need some time to get used to such a different setting.

User avatar
Gitaroo_Dude
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:06 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Yeah, as someone who visited from the West Coast, I think Hillsboro was the only neighborhood I really vibed with. I liked the rest of Nashville too, but it was definitely a different feel than the cities I'm used to.

pizzagoblin
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Postby pizzagoblin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:58 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
rachel3636 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."


Hey! I was at the second ASW as well. Can I ask what al parts of Nashville you saw/visited? Obviously campus/broadway, but definitely get out and check out some of the other neighborhoods in Nashville too. If you're not big into the country music and bachelorette party thing, broadway can be a little much. There are a lot of really fun, cool things to do around Nashville though! Just my input as someone who wasn't 100% sold on Nashville the first time I visited either (love it now though!)


Definitely! I think it's a cool city but just different. I've lived on the east coast my entire life so Bar Review was kind of a culture shock. I checked out the area near school (obviously), as well as Music Row, Broadway, area near the Parthenon, and the Gulch.

Nothing wrong with anything, but I just might need some time to get used to such a different setting.


As a current NYC resident, I was really thrown off by the bar review on Broadway during the first ASW. I LOVED the school and the people but wasn't sold on Nashville, just like you. Later that weekend I actually started to explore non-touristy destinations and found that, while different from the Northeast, Nashville offers a ton of cool perks. Although Nashville doesn't fit into my definition of "city" as I now know it, I like being close to major sporting events, concerts, hiking, bike paths, a strong food culture and golf courses. Plus it doesn't seem like most people go to that tourist destination to hang out, anyway.

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
rachel3636 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."


Hey! I was at the second ASW as well. Can I ask what al parts of Nashville you saw/visited? Obviously campus/broadway, but definitely get out and check out some of the other neighborhoods in Nashville too. If you're not big into the country music and bachelorette party thing, broadway can be a little much. There are a lot of really fun, cool things to do around Nashville though! Just my input as someone who wasn't 100% sold on Nashville the first time I visited either (love it now though!)


Definitely! I think it's a cool city but just different. I've lived on the east coast my entire life so Bar Review was kind of a culture shock. I checked out the area near school (obviously), as well as Music Row, Broadway, area near the Parthenon, and the Gulch.

Nothing wrong with anything, but I just might need some time to get used to such a different setting.


As a current NYC resident, I was really thrown off by the bar review on Broadway during the first ASW. I LOVED the school and the people but wasn't sold on Nashville, just like you. Later that weekend I actually started to explore non-touristy destinations and found that, while different from the Northeast, Nashville offers a ton of cool perks. Although Nashville doesn't fit into my definition of "city" as I now know it, I like being close to major sporting events, concerts, hiking, bike paths, a strong food culture and golf courses. Plus it doesn't seem like most people go to that tourist destination to hang out, anyway.


That's awesome! yeah, I should've explored the city more but I left pretty early that weekend so I didn't get a chance to walk around to the different neighborhood. I'll definitely have to do that the next time I'm there :)

User avatar
Thomas Hagan, ESQ.
Posts: 1205
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:02 pm

Lowkey think it's kind of a bummer that VLS only has one study abroad option and zero exchange programs (correct me if I'm wrong). Altough Vandy in Venice seems like a great experience, especially with Professor Newton, still wish there were more options.

Do any VLS students do study abroad elsewhere with like a partnership with another US law school?

carsondalywashere
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:47 pm

nvm lol

pizzagoblin
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby pizzagoblin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 pm

So where is everyone planning on living?

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 am

Hello Guys, Is anyone aware of Vandy's deferral policy? specifically, how easy or tough it is to get a deferral? And whether it would be possible to retain the scholarship upon deferral? Any inputs would be useful. I would obviously check with the admissions office. But I want to get an idea before going to them with a request for deferral. Thanks all.

arklaw13
Posts: 1862
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby arklaw13 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:56 am

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Hello Guys, Is anyone aware of Vandy's deferral policy? specifically, how easy or tough it is to get a deferral? And whether it would be possible to retain the scholarship upon deferral? Any inputs would be useful. I would obviously check with the admissions office. But I want to get an idea before going to them with a request for deferral. Thanks all.


I believe my application year someone deferred a full ride award to do a one-year master's program. So it happens.

rachel3636
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby rachel3636 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:So where is everyone planning on living?


Still trying to figure it out...it seems like most apartments won't know their availability until end of May/early June. Probably somewhere in Midtown/Hillsboro Village. Toured the Lee Apartments (management was a nightmare...just getting them to answer the phone was a 3 day process) and the Americana and wasn't a big fan of either. Probably going to (hopefully) find a condo/house to rent that doesn't break the bank. Any ideas yourself?

BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?)
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
BEng,MBA,FRM,JD(?) wrote:Hello Guys, Is anyone aware of Vandy's deferral policy? specifically, how easy or tough it is to get a deferral? And whether it would be possible to retain the scholarship upon deferral? Any inputs would be useful. I would obviously check with the admissions office. But I want to get an idea before going to them with a request for deferral. Thanks all.


I believe my application year someone deferred a full ride award to do a one-year master's program. So it happens.


Thanks. That's good to know.

pizzagoblin
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby pizzagoblin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:41 am

rachel3636 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:So where is everyone planning on living?


Still trying to figure it out...it seems like most apartments won't know their availability until end of May/early June. Probably somewhere in Midtown/Hillsboro Village. Toured the Lee Apartments (management was a nightmare...just getting them to answer the phone was a 3 day process) and the Americana and wasn't a big fan of either. Probably going to (hopefully) find a condo/house to rent that doesn't break the bank. Any ideas yourself?


A condo or house sounds awesome! I also really like the Midtown area and am hoping to get into the Artisan on 18th apartments. But that company doesn't have any availability for August 1 yet. Do you know when most students secure their housing? Don't want to be left behind, haha.

carsondalywashere
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby carsondalywashere » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:37 am

Can people elaborate on the differences between their hometowns and Nashville?

User avatar
do_me_a_favor
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby do_me_a_favor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:25 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Can people elaborate on the differences between their hometowns and Nashville?


nashville is safer than my home town for sure, but also kindof a touristy/travel destination/party scene type place. it's nice here. the area by the law school is really cool imo--lots of opportunities to walk/cycle and see nice things, solid amount of restaurants in close proximity (not an INCREDIBLE amount but a good selection and it seems to be growing), plenty of bars if you're into bars (i am not). this entire area i'm describing by the law school is, of course, only like 1-3 miles away from the real downtown nashville. you can hop on the bus (free for students) any time and get downtown to do whatever, and it's really nice.

personally i think nashville is a great place to live, particularly if you're young, have a dog, like cycling, like jogging, or like the social scene/brunch/bars. people do a lot of fun shit all the time--even during finals lol. i don't really take advantage of it because i have a partner/animals at home so i kinda just live that old man lifestyle. yet there's tons of fun if you're looking for it. there's always parties of people on pedal taverns driving through the streets hooting and hollering, which is annoying to some but kind of energizing to me. someone somewhere is always having a fun time around here, which is comforting to me because that's what my home town was like

pizzagoblin
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:24 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby pizzagoblin » Mon May 01, 2017 10:48 am

do_me_a_favor wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Can people elaborate on the differences between their hometowns and Nashville?


nashville is safer than my home town for sure, but also kindof a touristy/travel destination/party scene type place. it's nice here. the area by the law school is really cool imo--lots of opportunities to walk/cycle and see nice things, solid amount of restaurants in close proximity (not an INCREDIBLE amount but a good selection and it seems to be growing), plenty of bars if you're into bars (i am not). this entire area i'm describing by the law school is, of course, only like 1-3 miles away from the real downtown nashville. you can hop on the bus (free for students) any time and get downtown to do whatever, and it's really nice.

personally i think nashville is a great place to live, particularly if you're young, have a dog, like cycling, like jogging, or like the social scene/brunch/bars. people do a lot of fun shit all the time--even during finals lol. i don't really take advantage of it because i have a partner/animals at home so i kinda just live that old man lifestyle. yet there's tons of fun if you're looking for it. there's always parties of people on pedal taverns driving through the streets hooting and hollering, which is annoying to some but kind of energizing to me. someone somewhere is always having a fun time around here, which is comforting to me because that's what my home town was like


Would you say students need a car? I'm hoping to live within walking distance of the law school.

User avatar
do_me_a_favor
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby do_me_a_favor » Tue May 02, 2017 6:44 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
do_me_a_favor wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Can people elaborate on the differences between their hometowns and Nashville?


nashville is safer than my home town for sure, but also kindof a touristy/travel destination/party scene type place. it's nice here. the area by the law school is really cool imo--lots of opportunities to walk/cycle and see nice things, solid amount of restaurants in close proximity (not an INCREDIBLE amount but a good selection and it seems to be growing), plenty of bars if you're into bars (i am not). this entire area i'm describing by the law school is, of course, only like 1-3 miles away from the real downtown nashville. you can hop on the bus (free for students) any time and get downtown to do whatever, and it's really nice.

personally i think nashville is a great place to live, particularly if you're young, have a dog, like cycling, like jogging, or like the social scene/brunch/bars. people do a lot of fun shit all the time--even during finals lol. i don't really take advantage of it because i have a partner/animals at home so i kinda just live that old man lifestyle. yet there's tons of fun if you're looking for it. there's always parties of people on pedal taverns driving through the streets hooting and hollering, which is annoying to some but kind of energizing to me. someone somewhere is always having a fun time around here, which is comforting to me because that's what my home town was like


Would you say students need a car? I'm hoping to live within walking distance of the law school.


you don't need a car if you live within walking distance. i live very close so i don't have a car. (i did pick the place BECAUSE i don't have a car). you might need a car for groceries sometimes? some students carpool to the store which is kind of them to do for each other. or you could probably uber home?

but yeah it's fairly walkable. the one thing i'll say is that your selections for restaurants and bars will be a tiny bit limited if you (1) dont have a car and (2) dont wanna uber/ride the bus often.

User avatar
haley12
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby haley12 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi all! I was just admitted of the WL and I'm so excited about Vandy :D

One question-- how bad would it be to be social and under 21 there? I'm hearing a lot of talk about bars which makes me nervous :lol: It would only be for a couple months but I'm scared I'll miss out on that beginning bonding with my classmates. Any thoughts?

arklaw13
Posts: 1862
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby arklaw13 » Tue May 16, 2017 8:36 pm

haley12 wrote:Hi all! I was just admitted of the WL and I'm so excited about Vandy :D

One question-- how bad would it be to be social and under 21 there? I'm hearing a lot of talk about bars which makes me nervous :lol: It would only be for a couple months but I'm scared I'll miss out on that beginning bonding with my classmates. Any thoughts?


C/o 2017 had someone who didn't hit 21 until 2L. You'll be just fine.

User avatar
do_me_a_favor
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby do_me_a_favor » Wed May 17, 2017 5:25 am

haley12 wrote:Hi all! I was just admitted of the WL and I'm so excited about Vandy :D

One question-- how bad would it be to be social and under 21 there? I'm hearing a lot of talk about bars which makes me nervous :lol: It would only be for a couple months but I'm scared I'll miss out on that beginning bonding with my classmates. Any thoughts?


being sub-21 isn't gonna be a problem for you. bar review is something that's popular here, but lots of students don't go out for that stuff at all. i personally don't (it's a shame, but 1L was challenging and i'm not a going-out-and-drinking-to-socialize kinda dude). and if you're 20 now you'll be golden for bar review in what, a few months? but yeah you'l be fine.

i honestly think that socializing at vandy is more about finding and joining groups/cliques than drinking or anything extracurricular like that.

User avatar
bitter_melon
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby bitter_melon » Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 am

I was just admitted and am strongly considering Vandy. What did people like about it over other schools? My other strong consideration is WUSTL.

User avatar
haley12
Posts: 537
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:37 am

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby haley12 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:55 am

do_me_a_favor wrote:
haley12 wrote:Hi all! I was just admitted of the WL and I'm so excited about Vandy :D

One question-- how bad would it be to be social and under 21 there? I'm hearing a lot of talk about bars which makes me nervous :lol: It would only be for a couple months but I'm scared I'll miss out on that beginning bonding with my classmates. Any thoughts?


being sub-21 isn't gonna be a problem for you. bar review is something that's popular here, but lots of students don't go out for that stuff at all. i personally don't (it's a shame, but 1L was challenging and i'm not a going-out-and-drinking-to-socialize kinda dude). and if you're 20 now you'll be golden for bar review in what, a few months? but yeah you'l be fine.

i honestly think that socializing at vandy is more about finding and joining groups/cliques than drinking or anything extracurricular like that.


Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better :)

User avatar
The Abyss
Posts: 3291
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:04 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby The Abyss » Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 pm

bitter_melon wrote:I was just admitted and am strongly considering Vandy. What did people like about it over other schools? My other strong consideration is WUSTL.


Better employment numbers than other schools that offered me significant scholarship money. I also want to work in the region and I really like Nashville.

njdevils327
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby njdevils327 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

bitter_melon wrote:I was just admitted and am strongly considering Vandy. What did people like about it over other schools? My other strong consideration is WUSTL.


I would also like to hear a direct comparison between those 2 schools if anyone could offer some clarity for me.

rachel3636
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Postby rachel3636 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:32 pm

njdevils327 wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:I was just admitted and am strongly considering Vandy. What did people like about it over other schools? My other strong consideration is WUSTL.


I would also like to hear a direct comparison between those 2 schools if anyone could offer some clarity for me.


Probably not what you're looking for but after spending time in St. Louis and Nashville....Nashville wins in every way. Can't actually comment on the school itself.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest