Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What do you want to do immediately after law school and where?

Big Law
35%
Government
4%
Federal Clerkship
16%
Public Interest
1%
Non-Big Law Private Practice
2%
Northeast
18%
South
12%
Midwest
4%
West Coast
6%
International
3%

Total votes: 106

chargers21

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Post by chargers21 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:I thought the second ASW was fantastic. The people there seem genuinely kind, fun, and hard-working all at once - as advertised. Professor Cheng's class was really neat and I really liked Professor Ruhr (extra kudos for being a judge at the Talent Show). The school really seemed like a family and I was sold on that. Loved how everyone, from students, faculty, to administration were all on the same page and knew each other on a personal level - surprisingly, that's not too common.

I actually wasn't too sold on Nashville...since I'm from the Northeast it may be because of the massive difference between Nashville and NY/Boston/DC but I definitely might need some time to get used to it.

The only negative about the school itself was just how much everyone tried to "sell" the school to you. At times, it didn't seem genuine and people seemed to go out of their way to shape their answers to give you a pitch. The professor that I got the chance to sit with, seemed really chill and brilliant, but kind of oversold the school at the expense of other (some of them were much higher ranked) schools, which was kind of a turnoff. My thinking is, if you're really that superior, you wouldn't need to up yourself by putting another place down. I doubt Harvard faculty goes around and tells people why they shouldn't go to GULC. So maybe tone it down a notch. The overselling made me take some other things they said (even things I would normally agree with) with a grain of salt because..."this could also just be a pitch."
When I tried negotiating, I definitely got the feeling that the reply was nothing more than a put down of multiple schools that are ranked better and have significantly better employment numbers. It definitely was unbecoming of the school, but if you've followed their treatment of me thus far this cycle, it was unsurprising. Like Vandy, you're a great school, but I can see your numbers and you're not Chicago or Duke. And you're not worth 60k more than UT. Just thought I'd chime in on this. Best of luck to all of you next year, Nashville is pretty awesome!

The Abyss

Gold

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Post by The Abyss » Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 pm

Looks like y'all will have contracts, reg state and civ pro this fall and torts, crim and property in the spring. Not much different from my 1L year except every section is on the same class schedule.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Moving to Nashville in two weeks! Seriously can't wait. When is everyone else heading there?

rachel3636

New

Post by rachel3636 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:00 am

pizzagoblin wrote:Moving to Nashville in two weeks! Seriously can't wait. When is everyone else heading there?
Not moving in until August 9. Can't wait either!! Excited to get our section assignments too.

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:43 am

rachel3636 wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:Moving to Nashville in two weeks! Seriously can't wait. When is everyone else heading there?
Not moving in until August 9. Can't wait either!! Excited to get our section assignments too.

August 5th!! So excited to finally get down there

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:10 pm

imtca wrote:
rachel3636 wrote:

Excellent! I hear we are getting our section assignments in early August. Here's to hoping we get good professors.

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:55 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
imtca wrote:
rachel3636 wrote:

Excellent! I hear we are getting our section assignments in early August. Here's to hoping we get good professors.
Last year I think we got ours in late July. Looking at y'alls schedules for this fall, I would say section C is the best.

rachel3636

New

Post by rachel3636 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:39 pm

Orientation schedule is posted. Does anyone know whether the service project on Saturday 8/12 is still occurring? I know they had it last year and I thought I read about it happening this year too (maybe not?). I see there's a pro bono event on Sunday. Maybe they're doing that instead? If anyone knows please share! Thank you

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm

If anyone wants that damn Life of the law book I'll give you mine from last year. Also have the reg state and Civ Pro (for Fitzpatrick) texts for cheap. Pm me if you want them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:42 am

[quote="rachel3636"]Orientation schedule is posted. Does anyone know whether the service project on Saturday 8/12 is still occurring? I know they had it last year and I thought I read about it happening this year too (maybe not?). I see there's a pro bono event on Sunday. Maybe they're doing that instead? If anyone knows please share! Thank you[/quote]

I definitely saw something about that service event on Sunday but i don't see anything about it anywhere now

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:00 am

imtca wrote:
rachel3636 wrote:Orientation schedule is posted. Does anyone know whether the service project on Saturday 8/12 is still occurring? I know they had it last year and I thought I read about it happening this year too (maybe not?). I see there's a pro bono event on Sunday. Maybe they're doing that instead? If anyone knows please share! Thank you
I definitely saw something about that service event on Sunday but i don't see anything about it anywhere now

Oops I meant Saturday haha

imtca

New

Post by imtca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Y'all class schedules are up!!

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:01 pm

imtca wrote:Y'all class schedules are up!!
Nvm, figured it out!
Last edited by pizzagoblin on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:08 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
In Section B, the 2nd group for Life of the Law and Legal Writing B1! Can't wait. Anyone know anything about the professors Michael Bressman, Suzanna Sherry, Jennifer Sweezy or Larry Reeves?

The Abyss

Gold

Post by The Abyss » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
In Section B, the 2nd group for Life of the Law and Legal Writing B1! Can't wait. Anyone know anything about the professors Michael Bressman, Suzanna Sherry, Jennifer Sweezy or Larry Reeves?
I only had Reeves but that's legal research and that class is incredibly boring regardless of the teacher. I've heard Sherry can be intense with cold calls. Sweezy runs the legal writing program.

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
pizzagoblin wrote:
Bressmann=cool, or annoying, depending on your perspective. I love him. he's the judicial clerkship guy, so if you're interested in clerking do befriend him. he's got this vibe--he's more of a practitioner who teaches contracts on the side almost, at least is how it feels.
Sherry=legend, tough but actually nice, Civ pro legend at VLS. she's cool. charismatic
Sweezy=very smart, sweet & cool legal writing prof.

never heard of reeves.

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Is it true that one section has both Wuerth and Sitaraman?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 am

The_Lorax wrote:Is it true that one section has both Wuerth and Sitaraman?
Not sure, but is that good or bad?

The_Lorax

Bronze

Post by The_Lorax » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
They're both incredible professors but you get called on a lot more frequently. Wuerth was my favorite professor I had all of 1L

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:25 pm

pizzagoblin wrote:
Not preferrable. Wuerth teaches more of a review class--you kinda have to teach yourself Civ Pro, and Sherry's book isn't a good book to learn Civ Pro from. That's what I've heard. Sitaraman is cool, but reg state is a weird and tough class for many people. He will call on you most every day and teach you a lot, but it's not so helpful in terms of the exam. Both are awesome people though

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”