Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What do you want to do immediately after law school and where?

Big Law
35%
Government
4%
Federal Clerkship
16%
Public Interest
1%
Non-Big Law Private Practice
2%
Northeast
18%
South
12%
Midwest
4%
West Coast
6%
International
3%

Total votes: 106

ray.bee

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020

Post by ray.bee » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 am

Thanks @Pizzagoblin and @Gitaroo_Dude! That's all useful information to know! :)

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

Left Friday during Blackacre because I had a last minute change in plans...

But I have to echo the other statements about the people. The only downfall I saw was that it's easy to get lost in the fun and take it easy at Vandy from talking to the 1Ls and 2Ls. Also some were telling me that their largest placement was in NYC but the data sheet they gave us said 11% of the class so I'm not sure why they were saying that.

Strong reputation in the south like UT. I probably won't be attending to be honest because while COA is low for me, the reach to the markets I want to go to make me feel uncomfortable with the school.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:56 am

Also had the pleasure of randomly meeting tuesdayninja last night after trivia. Great guy.

There are a ton of TLS lurkers here this weekend. :shock:

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Also had the pleasure of randomly meeting tuesdayninja last night after trivia. Great guy.

Pretty sure that most people that go to law school know about TLS! To be honest, a lot of people don't like this site from what I heard haha Sometimes I'm glad I made an account and sometimes I'm not.

Which lunch table did you sit at? Maybe we met!

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:20 pm

Waiting at the airport now, but Vandy was great. This was my first law school visit so don't have anything else to compare to.

The school is super chill and there are some very smart people. All the current students were very welcoming and the 0Ls were cool too. During trivia it seemed like all the current students got along. May have to do with the school not ranking students, so there's a relaxed vibe. The professors were very approachable too. Coincidentally sat down with an IP professor (I'm aiming for IP), during the student-faculty lunch, who was very knowledgeable and friendly.

There appeared to be a "healthy" drinking culture but that could be like any other law school for all I know. Also could have been because it was St. Pattys weekend. The current students were enthusiastic about us attending the bar review Thursday night and also invited us out after Blackacre and trivia. I got the sense that they work hard and play hard.

Didn't get to explore Nashville too much but the city is exploding, lots of new buildings going up and apparently 80-100 people are moving to Nashville everyday. The area around the school is nice, I got an Ann Arbor vibe but with more high rises.

All in all, this weekend was a + for Vandy but I can't commit yet due to wanting to see other schools for feel. But I could see myself here!

Also met gitaroo dude at the bar last night, he's a cool cat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:28 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:Left Friday during Blackacre because I had a last minute change in plans...

But I have to echo the other statements about the people. The only downfall I saw was that it's easy to get lost in the fun and take it easy at Vandy from talking to the 1Ls and 2Ls. Also some were telling me that their largest placement was in NYC but the data sheet they gave us said 11% of the class so I'm not sure why they were saying that.

Strong reputation in the south like UT. I probably won't be attending to be honest because while COA is low for me, the reach to the markets I want to go to make me feel uncomfortable with the school.
Perhaps they meant of the major markets? The highest percentage state that Vandy feeds into is TN, but NYC is the largest major market by percentage. DC is second, followed by CHI I imagine? Then maybe the TX markets.

Which markets are you most interested in?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:Also had the pleasure of randomly meeting tuesdayninja last night after trivia. Great guy.

Pretty sure that most people that go to law school know about TLS! To be honest, a lot of people don't like this site from what I heard haha Sometimes I'm glad I made an account and sometimes I'm not.

I sat with a legal writing professor. Honestly, she probably wasn't the best fit for that kind of event, hahaha. Maybe you were one of the many CA people I met?

And yeah, almost everyone I spoke with dislikes TLS. :lol:

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:

I sat with a legal writing professor. Honestly, she probably wasn't the best fit for that kind of event, hahaha. Maybe you were one of the many CA people I met?

So many people from CA lol and well everyone I met with was chill, except one person who kept asking me about my numbers and scholarship to see if they got a fair offer so unless you were that person, then you're a cool kid !

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:

So many people from CA lol and well everyone I met with was chill, except one person who kept asking me about my numbers and scholarship to see if they got a fair offer so unless you were that person, then you're a cool kid !
They really need to improve their LSN stalking game if they're asking that, lol. Though I'd like to imagine that was the party planning committee guy. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

do_me_a_favor

New

Post by do_me_a_favor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:05 pm

current 1L here, more than happy to answer any Q's. feel free to PM as well. great school--and don't let the fratty upper middle class vibe bother you, it's not as prevalent as it probably seems at events and shit

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm

How long did it take people to hear about money? My admission said within the week and it's now been a week and :( :(

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Anyone that went to March ASW stay at the Scarritt-Bennett Center? How was it??

Anyone else staying there for the April ASW?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Anyone that went to March ASW stay at the Scarritt-Bennett Center? How was it??

I stayed there Saturday night. I would say it's perfectly adequate. They give you linens, a bed, and a bathroom, which is pretty much all you'll need for the trip. The facilities were fine. You're definitely getting what you pay for.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Anyone that went to March ASW stay at the Scarritt-Bennett Center? How was it??

I stayed there Saturday night. I would say it's perfectly adequate. They give you linens, a bed, and a bathroom, which is pretty much all you'll need for the trip. The facilities were fine. You're definitely getting what you pay for.
Sounds good to me, thanks!

rachel3636

New

Post by rachel3636 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:54 pm

Hey yall! Has anyone attempted to negotiate scholarships? I know it usually isn't usually fruitful for Vandy, but I tried anyway. Haven't heard anything back in about a week! Hoping to hear back soon.

atlantahoo

New

Post by atlantahoo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:54 am

for any current Vandy students: is living in east nashville doable for a 1L? stayed in an airbnb there for ASW and really vibed with the area, but I don't wanna feel like i'm a million miles away from everyone else who's just starting out.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 pm

atlantahoo wrote:for any current Vandy students: is living in east nashville doable for a 1L? stayed in an airbnb there for ASW and really vibed with the area, but I don't wanna feel like i'm a million miles away from everyone else who's just starting out.
Maps.google.com

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 pm

arklaw13 wrote:
Litt1tUp wrote:Left Friday during Blackacre because I had a last minute change in plans...

Perhaps they meant of the major markets? The highest percentage state that Vandy feeds into is TN, but NYC is the largest major market by percentage. DC is second, followed by CHI I imagine? Then maybe the TX markets.

Having now gone through OCI, and getting to the point where people finally feel comfortable talking about it, I would argue that the only two markets we actively underperform in are DC and Nashville. Top third at Vanderbilt will get looks just about everywhere, but I don't know that I would tell someone to come here if they want Vandy to open the door to Nashville or they have their heart set on DC.

As a class, we absolutely select out of markets like NY and Chicago and into markets like Atlanta or TX. Dunno what you're looking for

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 am

Big Red wrote:
arklaw13 wrote:

Having now gone through OCI, and getting to the point where people finally feel comfortable talking about it, I would argue that the only two markets we actively underperform in are DC and Nashville. Top third at Vanderbilt will get looks just about everywhere, but I don't know that I would tell someone to come here if they want Vandy to open the door to Nashville or they have their heart set on DC.

As a class, we absolutely select out of markets like NY and Chicago and into markets like Atlanta or TX. Dunno what you're looking for
Outside of Milbank, are there any other NYC firms that have strong reputations for hiring Vandy grads?

ehf9634

New

Post by ehf9634 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 pm

atlantahoo wrote:for any current Vandy students: is living in east nashville doable for a 1L? stayed in an airbnb there for ASW and really vibed with the area, but I don't wanna feel like i'm a million miles away from everyone else who's just starting out.
As a Nashville native, I probably wouldn't want to make that commute. The traffic would be a nightmare every day trying to get through downtown and onto West End. Just my opinion though!

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Outside of Milbank, are there any other NYC firms that have strong reputations for hiring Vandy grads?
Not in the same way, but there are multiple at Skaddan, STB, Cravath in c/o 17/18. Skaddan especially takes a couple every year. There's also a Paul Weiss, Davis Polk, off the top of my head.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:38 pm

Big Red wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Not in the same way, but there are multiple at Skaddan, STB, Cravath in c/o 17/18. Skaddan especially takes a couple every year. There's also a Paul Weiss, Davis Polk, off the top of my head.
Awesome, thanks!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:06 pm

New Poll!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:13 pm

ehf9634 wrote:
As a Nashville native, I probably wouldn't want to make that commute. The traffic would be a nightmare every day trying to get through downtown and onto West End. Just my opinion though!
They could take the bikeway if they're fit enough

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt Law School - Class of 2020 NEW POLL!

Post by Pure Applesauce » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:28 pm

congrats everybody!

vandy person here willing to answer qs

can talk about profs, clerking, big law, compare to t13 options

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”