Boston University Class of 2020 [ANOTHER New Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living

Allston/Brighton like everyone else
52%
Back Bay because I got $$$
16%
Cambridge so I can pretend I go to Harvard
13%
Brookline (nothing snippy to write here, it's a pretty area)
13%
Some other suburb because I'm cool spending 90 mins each way commuting
6%

Total votes: 31

floatie

Silver

Re: Boston University Class of 2020

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 am

patrickkpaul wrote:Where's everyone looking at living?
I'm hoping Allston/Brighton with a couple of roommates. It'd be nice to live somewhere for under $1000/month

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 pm

floatie wrote:
patrickkpaul wrote:Where's everyone looking at living?
I'm hoping Allston/Brighton with a couple of roommates. It'd be nice to live somewhere for under $1000/month
Same, going to be sharing a 1bd with my gf so that cuts down on the per-person cost a ton. Probably gonna look with a $1800 combined max budget.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 pm

Checking in. Just got my call today. BU is definitely a top contender for me.

I can't make it to the 3/31 preview day though. That really sucks.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

jessmeesh wrote:Checking in. Just got my call today. BU is definitely a top contender for me.

I'm guessing not to the 3/24th one, either?

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:Checking in. Just got my call today. BU is definitely a top contender for me.

I'm guessing not to the 3/24th one, either?

I'm an idiot and somehow didn't retain that there's also a 3/24 date :lol:

That's a possibility for me

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dodocogon

Silver

Post by Dodocogon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:04 pm

Can't remember if I registered for the ASD or not yet - I guess I'll call tomorrow and check lol

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Dodocogon wrote:Can't remember if I registered for the ASD or not yet - I guess I'll call tomorrow and check lol
I'm pretty sure I registered twice

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

Has anyone been denied a travel stipend? I emailed yesterday morning asking for one and haven't heard anything. I get the office was closed Monday, so they're probably catching up. It's just frustrating to wait and watch the cost of a flight creep up by the hour.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 am

This is the guy teaching our mock class next Friday...
Mark Pettit

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 am

jessmeesh wrote:Has anyone been denied a travel stipend? I emailed yesterday morning asking for one and haven't heard anything. I get the office was closed Monday, so they're probably catching up. It's just frustrating to wait and watch the cost of a flight creep up by the hour.
Word on the street (from the BU applicant thread) is that they're out of stipends :(

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

ashrice13 wrote:This is the guy teaching our mock class next Friday...
Mark Pettit
Niiice...

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:34 am

floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:Has anyone been denied a travel stipend? I emailed yesterday morning asking for one and haven't heard anything. I get the office was closed Monday, so they're probably catching up. It's just frustrating to wait and watch the cost of a flight creep up by the hour.
Word on the street (from the BU applicant thread) is that they're out of stipends :(
I saw that. My mom offered to help me with a couple hundred to cover what the stipend wouldn't (total cost was going to be around $500 for me), but without the stipend I can't visit at all :/

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:42 am

jessmeesh wrote:
floatie wrote:
I saw that. My mom offered to help me with a couple hundred to cover what the stipend wouldn't (total cost was going to be around $500 for me), but without the stipend I can't visit at all :/
That sucks :( If it helps at all...have you thought about staying in a travel hostel to keep the cost down? I've stayed in the DC affiliate of this place, and it's not bad if you just need a place to crash for a couple nights and don't mind a dorm-style room. https://affiliates.hihostels.com/hostels/hi-boston and its 44.49 per night

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
floatie wrote:
That sucks :( If it helps at all...have you thought about staying in a travel hostel to keep the cost down? I've stayed in the DC affiliate of this place, and it's not bad if you just need a place to crash for a couple nights and don't mind a dorm-style room. https://affiliates.hihostels.com/hostels/hi-boston and its 44.49 per night
Someone on the FB page also recommended this hostel.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

floatie wrote:
jessmeesh wrote:
floatie wrote:
Honestly the dorm-style thing really does concern me. I'm not sure that I would feel safe. It's the flight that's the kicker for me as of today the flight alone is $300 and getting more expensive by the day.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm

What are y'all wearing to Preview Day? It's supposed to be pretty cold so I'm thinking about going with jeans + blouse + sweater + boots. Is that too casual?

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm

floatie wrote:What are y'all wearing to Preview Day? It's supposed to be pretty cold so I'm thinking about going with jeans + blouse + sweater + boots. Is that too casual?
This is basically what I'm wearing too. Either dark blue or black jeans, a nicer type button up shirt, and flats. The email specifically said to dress casual so I feel a lot more comfortable doing so. I wouldn't dress as casually as I might for class (yoga pants, tshirt, etc) but I'm not dressing up my any means.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Just sent an email inquiring about a stipend for the 3/31 ASD. Hoping they got something left.

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:14 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:Just sent an email inquiring about a stipend for the 3/31 ASD. Hoping they got something left.

I got in last week and emailed last tuesday about the stipend. Told today there's nothing left. :/

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

jessmeesh wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:Just sent an email inquiring about a stipend for the 3/31 ASD. Hoping they got something left.

I got in last week and emailed last tuesday about the stipend. Told today there's nothing left. :/
Poooooop, I literally got admittance today. Might have to suck it up on this one :(

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 am

Yeah they're out of travel stipends which is dumb since I was just admitted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jessmeesh

Bronze

Post by jessmeesh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am

tuesdayninja wrote:Yeah they're out of travel stipends which is dumb since I was just admitted.

Yup. I had the same feeling. I mean, BU is a top choice for me, but I've only spent a few hours in Boston, and that was years ago. I would feel much better about putting down a deposit if I could visit first.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Bit the bullet and am going to ASD next week! For those looking to fly still check southwest. It was cheaper than stuff on google flights.

ashrice13

Gold

Post by ashrice13 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:31 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:Bit the bullet and am going to ASD next week! For those looking to fly still check southwest. It was cheaper than stuff on google flights.
Yay! That really sucks that there weren't waivers when you were accepted (seems kind of unfair, actually) but glad you get to be there!

I've never flown with SW before but don't they have a first come first serve thing with seats? If so, that would be stressful when you are travelling with someone but totally worth saving the money if you're alone.

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Post by tuesdayninja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 pm

ashrice13 wrote:
tuesdayninja wrote:Bit the bullet and am going to ASD next week! For those looking to fly still check southwest. It was cheaper than stuff on google flights.
Yay! That really sucks that there weren't waivers when you were accepted (seems kind of unfair, actually) but glad you get to be there!

I've never flown with SW before but don't they have a first come first serve thing with seats? If so, that would be stressful when you are travelling with someone but totally worth saving the money if you're alone.
Never flown SW either. Going solo though. I'll stand if I have to. Can't be worse than riding the L in Chicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”