NYU Class of 2020 [Section Poll!] Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

What section are you in?

20%
12%
16%
24%
28%

Total votes: 25

theothercat

Bronze

Re: NYU Class of 2020

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:48 pm

Has anyone heard anything on the Furman Public Policy Scholarship?

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:27 pm

theothercat wrote:Has anyone heard anything on the Furman Public Policy Scholarship?
...just got the interview invite!!!!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:02 pm

theothercat wrote:
theothercat wrote:Has anyone heard anything on the Furman Public Policy Scholarship?
I know this is practically old news by now, but CONGRATS!! :D

I am so impatient waiting for fin aid. Come ooonnnnn NYU pleeease. At this point I just want information from SOMEONE about ANYTHING!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Got in a while back, but forgot to post here.

Anyone in here have an ASPIRE invite? FinAid office emailed me back today saying everyone would be notified by the end of the week. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but haven't really heard much about this one on TLS, so I'm wondering if many people applied.

parcori

New

Post by parcori » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi everyone! Just got DLS and so nervous :shock:

Around how long did it take you guys to get into the ASW portal? Thanks!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:13 pm

parcori wrote:Hi everyone! Just got DLS and so nervous :shock:

Around how long did it take you guys to get into the ASW portal? Thanks!!!
It took at least an hour, maybe a few hours, and then the call came about 5-6 hours later, though I know that varies.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 pm

airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:

I am so impatient waiting for fin aid. Come ooonnnnn NYU pleeease. At this point I just want information from SOMEONE about ANYTHING!
Thank you!

I hope you get a fantastic financial aid package, and soon! :)

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 pm

theothercat wrote:
airwrecka wrote:
theothercat wrote:

Thank you!

I hope you get a fantastic financial aid package, and soon! :)
Aw thanks :oops: :)

nightie

New

Post by nightie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:39 am

Do we have a Facebook group?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

airwrecka

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2020 - new poll yo

Post by airwrecka » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

The TLS gods have heard my prayers! Got my financial aid award today! SO pleasantly surprised by it!! :D :D PM for details :)

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:10 pm

nightie wrote:Do we have a Facebook group?
I don't believe so, at least I haven't seen one.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

Anybody have any luck negotiating scholarships yet?

I would love to go to NYU, but I don't think I'll be able to justify it without $20k more. I have an awesome deal at Michigan, but I'm still waiting on Columbia aid and a had recent JS1 (surprising, with my GPA) at Harvard. I don't think a lot of aid from Columbia or a JS2 from Harvard are likely. Should I wait until I know more from those schools at the end of this month, or do you think a 70% scholly from Michigan will be sufficient ammunition?

Should I wait 3 more weeks for more information or try and negotiate now?
Last edited by AFtoLawschool on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:Anybody have any luck negotiating scholarships yet?

I would love to go to NYU, but I don't think I'll be able to justify it without $10k or $20k more. I have an awesome deal at Michigan, but I'm still waiting on Columbia aid and a had recent JS1 (surprising, with my GPA) at Harvard. I don't think a lot of aid from Columbia or a JS2 from Harvard are likely. Should I wait until I know more from those schools at the end of this month, or do you think a 70% scholly from Michigan will be sufficient ammunition?

Should I wait 3 more weeks for more information or try and negotiate now?
Not sure because I'm just a 0L and haven't started negotiating myself, but it's VERY unlikely that Columbia would give you a bigger scholly than NYU has already given you (they're even more stingier, and fin aid won't be out for nearly a month still), so I don't think it's worth waiting to negotiate for them. The only thing I'd wait for is if you got into Chicago and are waiting to hear about aid from them (that's what I'm doing). Otherwise, I think a large scholarship from Mich is worth at least trying!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sisyphus9

New

Post by Sisyphus9 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:46 pm

For anyone wondering/waiting to hear, I got an email inviting me to the next round of the Furman Academic selection process last week (not an interview yet, though).

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm still waiting on other schools but decided to look at the financial aid and housing info for NYU.

I'm absolutely baffled by the prices for on-campus housing. I've been out of school for five years and already live in the city. What would be the benefit of living on campus vs. spending less money for more space somewhere in the neighborhood? I feel like I must be missing something obvious...but I don't think I am...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:29 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:I'm still waiting on other schools but decided to look at the financial aid and housing info for NYU.

I'm absolutely baffled by the prices for on-campus housing. I've been out of school for five years and already live in the city. What would be the benefit of living on campus vs. spending less money for more space somewhere in the neighborhood? I feel like I must be missing something obvious...but I don't think I am...
Fellow NYC resident here. I agree it's absurd, but if I go to NYU I'll probably spring for their housing at least for 1L. IMO, the benefits for me are proximity to the law school/library for the stress of 1L, and also the social aspect (want to make friends in 1L and feel I will be less motivated to get out of the house if I live far away). 2L and 3L I'll happily move back out to Brooklyn and commute. :lol:

The other main benefit I see (to any on-campus housing really, but probably especially so in NYC) is that you can expect a basic level of competence from the management since everything is through the university. The last thing I want during 1L is to be stuck with some major issue in my apartment and a super who doesn't answer my calls.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Sisyphus9 wrote:For anyone wondering/waiting to hear, I got an email inviting me to the next round of the Furman Academic selection process last week (not an interview yet, though).
Congrats!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Leliana wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:I'm still waiting on other schools but decided to look at the financial aid and housing info for NYU.

Fellow NYC resident here. I agree it's absurd, but if I go to NYU I'll probably spring for their housing at least for 1L. IMO, the benefits for me are proximity to the law school/library for the stress of 1L, and also the social aspect (want to make friends in 1L and feel I will be less motivated to get out of the house if I live far away). 2L and 3L I'll happily move back out to Brooklyn and commute. :lol:

The other main benefit I see (to any on-campus housing really, but probably especially so in NYC) is that you can expect a basic level of competence from the management since everything is through the university. The last thing I want during 1L is to be stuck with some major issue in my apartment and a super who doesn't answer my calls.
I can't live in student housing because I have a dog who is non-negotiable :(

but my consolation is that it would NOT save me money haha

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Leliana wrote:

I considered that too. If I go to NYU I'll want to be as close to the law school and library as possible, and the social aspect is important. But my chief concern isn't a bad super (since for NYU prices I could probably get a pretty nice place with few issues), but roommate conflict over cleanliness and noise. Can't imagine anything worse than having to fight over noise when I want to sleep early (I'm a very early sleeper), or over a messy kitchen or bathroom (I'm a complete clean freak), on top of 1L academic stress. I'm pretty extroverted by nature, but I basically *need* to live in an apartment that is quiet whenever I need it to be and always super-clean. Given how insane NYU's prices are (and they really, really are, it's above-market, by quite a bit), I may as well hunt for a good studio or 1BR. Plus at this point I have so much nice furniture and personal effects that it'll be a hassle giving it all up (and according to this link, you have to use their furniture if you live on campus: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/oncampus ... procedures).

tl;dr: being out of school for five years has made me too high-maintenance and set in my ways. and the nyu rent is too damn high. the end.

20171lhopeful

Bronze

Post by 20171lhopeful » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:21 pm

MrJD2020 wrote:
Leliana wrote:

I considered that too. If I go to NYU I'll want to be as close to the law school and library as possible, and the social aspect is important. But my chief concern isn't a bad super (since for NYU prices I could probably get a pretty nice place with few issues), but roommate conflict over cleanliness and noise. Can't imagine anything worse than having to fight over noise when I want to sleep early (I'm a very early sleeper), or over a messy kitchen or bathroom (I'm a complete clean freak), on top of 1L academic stress. I'm pretty extroverted by nature, but I basically *need* to live in an apartment that is quiet whenever I need it to be and always super-clean. Given how insane NYU's prices are (and they really, really are, it's above-market, by quite a bit), I may as well hunt for a good studio or 1BR. Plus at this point I have so much nice furniture and personal effects that it'll be a hassle giving it all up (and according to this link, you have to use their furniture if you live on campus: http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/oncampus ... procedures).

tl;dr: being out of school for five years has made me too high-maintenance and set in my ways. and the nyu rent is too damn high. the end.

this is me completely. add to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the village anyways...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:26 am

MrJD2020 wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Yeah, those are fair points. I think the cleanliness aspect is also the biggest obstacle for me. I'm a clean freak too and it's stressing me out in my current living situation so it makes me a litte worried about the potential of sharing with someone for 1L. :? But I still don't really think I could afford to live within walking distance without a roommate, NYU housing or not...

I also didn't know about the furniture thing though and that is super annoying. Hmm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am

We could ALL plan to live in Brooklyn together and then we'll just bring the social aspect there ;) maybe we can even convince NYU to build a library for us! :lol:

MrJD2020

Bronze

Post by MrJD2020 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 am

Leliana wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:
Leliana wrote:

Yeah, those are fair points. I think the cleanliness aspect is also the biggest obstacle for me. I'm a clean freak too and it's stressing me out in my current living situation so it makes me a litte worried about the potential of sharing with someone for 1L. :? But I still don't really think I could afford to live within walking distance without a roommate, NYU housing or not...

I also didn't know about the furniture thing though and that is super annoying. Hmm.
For me, the only cost complication is having to use savings for first/last rent and deposit on a leased apartment, vs. student loans/NYU billing. I mean, I will still probably depend on student loans for living expenses, but I don't know when the government cheese would hit my account so I don't plan on being dependent on it for my apartment deposit.

I really do think non-NYU housing is cheaper, even to live alone, even in that neighborhood. The monthly rate for D'agostino hall is over $2,100 according to http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... ostinohall. This studio (quick craigslist search) is about the same https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/6016583109.html.

But I don't mean to be a Donald Downer. Still happy I got into NYU and considering it, not trying to accuse them of bamboozling us, just saying that on some level if we choose NYU housing we are being bamboozled. That is all!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:13 am

MrJD2020 wrote:For me, the only cost complication is having to use savings for first/last rent and deposit on a leased apartment, vs. student loans/NYU billing. I mean, I will still probably depend on student loans for living expenses, but I don't know when the government cheese would hit my account so I don't plan on being dependent on it for my apartment deposit.

I really do think non-NYU housing is cheaper, even to live alone, even in that neighborhood. The monthly rate for D'agostino hall is over $2,100 according to http://www.law.nyu.edu/housing/ratesand ... ostinohall. This studio (quick craigslist search) is about the same https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fee/6016583109.html.

But I don't mean to be a Donald Downer. Still happy I got into NYU and considering it, not trying to accuse them of bamboozling us, just saying that on some level if we choose NYU housing we are being bamboozled. That is all!
Yeah, I would be doing the same if I chose a leased apartment. But I honestly don't know if I could afford a studio in the area either way. I'll be depending on loans and NYU's living expenses budget allows for only ~$2600 per month.
airwrecka wrote:We could ALL plan to live in Brooklyn together and then we'll just bring the social aspect there ;) maybe we can even convince NYU to build a library for us! :lol:
I like this plan :lol:

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 pm

Any idea how fast the turnaround is from submitting financial aid info until they notify you what your finaid/scholarship package is? I just submitted all my stuff last night after being admitted last week so I'm hoping not too long, although the snow seems to want to throw a wrench in things.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”