Thelaw23 wrote:You tried to leverage Columbia for more money by telling them you're at 2 HYS waitlists?
Is that a thing???
I really don't think it is because the chances of getting off any WL are pretty low.
Hahaha. I am making it a thing!!!
Between 1 in 4 and 1 in 6 people on H's waitlist get off of it, so I don't think it's completely unreasonable to bring it up. I have a feeling I actually will get off it, for a number of reasons (e.g., delusions of grandeur, ego, etc.).
(Stanford, however, does have pretty poor waitlist admission stats.)
I only chose to stay on S's waitlist in case I somehow get in and they give me a huge discount. And for H, 90% of my rationale for staying on at this point is that their need-based aid is significant. (The HLS endowment is 5-6x CLS's size -- they really do give pretty good financial aid.) The other 10% is for the H-bomb.
The truth is that I really do like Columbia more for many reasons, and they know it. I worry that I would get a bit lost at HLS, whereas I feel very confident and at home here in NYC and at Columbia. Also, the v20 corporate law employment prospects are not really better at H, and Columbia knows that too. So they really do know that it's the $ that will keep me at CLS. I wonder how much they care about yield percentage -- that and three of their diversity stats (lol) are the only things I'd impact by not going there, and I think only yield (which I wouldn't bring down that much) would really impact USNWR rankings. They can fix those other stats using their waitlist, if they care to. But why not just give me another little discount?
Much less work for them.
A good friend of mine got an ever-so-slightly better financial aid package from C. Does he have a better GPA and LSAT score? Yes. He definitely deserves it, for sure. (No, I will not divulge specific stats or award figures!) That being said, I still think that the likelihood of getting a modest increase in my CLS award in order to keep me from going to H (in the event that I get in) is not significantly lower than the likelihood of my good friend getting what he got from CLS.