Columbia Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
13
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
10
13%
UAH apartments
33
43%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
13
17%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
7
9%
 
Total votes: 76

enoca

Bronze
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:28 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby enoca » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Also, has anyone received the PID for the housing apps


I got an email with housing info/PID/signup code on March 9.



Time to e-mail the housing office. :?

You got accepted earlier than February 20 though, right? Maybe that's why it's taking some time for me.


I was accepted 2/28 and got the email today.

EDIT: I believe my FAQ/Tax info only just arrived at their office today, which might have triggered the email. Have you submitted all that jazz yet?

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby MrJD2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

Any reason to hold off on the deposit if I know it's my #1 choice and I don't really NEED to hear back from H/Y/S? I can't imagine that the timing of my deposit would have an effect on their evaluation of my financial need or influence how likely they are to give me a good financial aid package.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by MrJD2020 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:30 am

enoca wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Also, has anyone received the PID for the housing apps


I got an email with housing info/PID/signup code on March 9.



Time to e-mail the housing office. :?

You got accepted earlier than February 20 though, right? Maybe that's why it's taking some time for me.


I was accepted 2/28 and got the email today.

EDIT: I believe my FAQ/Tax info only just arrived at their office today, which might have triggered the email. Have you submitted all that jazz yet?


I e-mailed housing yesterday and got the PID info email yesterday. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

I'm really not sure what's the best way of filling out the form in order to get a studio, though. I want to show preference for the West 116th building, but at the same time I don't want to show Lionsgate and Lenfest as my 2nd and 3rd preference because I rather prefer the cheaper UAH housing. Is it better to just not pick "yes" when it asks if you want to apply for law school housing?

BTW so everyone knows, none of the W 115th buildings have studio options. If you put that as a preference it handicaps your chances of snagging a studio.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:31 am

MrJD2020 wrote:Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I'm briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

Any reason to hold off on the deposit if I know it's my #1 choice and I don't really NEED to hear back from H/Y/S? I can't imagine that the timing of my deposit would have an effect on their evaluation of my financial need or influence how likely they are to give me a good financial aid package.

What do you guys think?



When you click on online enrollment form, does it work for you? Just curious, as mine doesn't.

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 am

Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:41 am

Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 am

Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!



I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

User avatar
NotAGolfer

Silver
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby NotAGolfer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:10 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!



I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??

User avatar
Thelaw23

Silver
Posts: 790
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!



I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??



I liked the fact that you have to show your preferred diet as well haha.

One of the reasons I'm so scared about applying just UAH is that I don't want to be placed in a three-four bedroom share, which looks like the majority of this housing is.

VA2lawschool

Bronze
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:52 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby VA2lawschool » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am

NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!



I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??


Glad other people are equally worried about potential roommates and cleanliness :D Perhaps we should all request each other!

User avatar
MrJD2020

Bronze
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby MrJD2020 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
MrJD2020 wrote:Have you guys all put down your deposits already? I'm 99.999% sure I'm going, to the point that I briefly considered withdrawing my other pending applications (HYSChi). Would probably withdraw except for the fact that I did all that work in prepping the applications -- and paid for them.

Any reason to hold off on the deposit if I know it's my #1 choice and I don't really NEED to hear back from H/Y/S? I can't imagine that the timing of my deposit would have an effect on their evaluation of my financial need or influence how likely they are to give me a good financial aid package.

What do you guys think?



When you click on online enrollment form, does it work for you? Just curious, as mine doesn't.


Yeah, it does.

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:16 pm

I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?

User avatar
dwall1121

New
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:55 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby dwall1121 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!

User avatar
Bearlyalive

Silver
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Bearlyalive » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


If they've kept the program similar to last year, then the second day is a "choose-your-adventure" sort of day. Some programming in the morning, and then a bunch of options on what to do with the rest of your time. I think you'll miss the mock class, which I think (?) was on the first day for my class, but you'll be able to sit in on a real class the second day. The second day has housing visits, smaller-group talks with administration (re clerkships, clinics, externships, etc.), so on so forth. I think that the second day is actually the better of the two for getting a sense of what it's really like to be a student here, whereas the first day is all the flash and flair of a recruiting event. It's a pity that you'll miss the first night happy hour, though, as that's one of the better opportunities to talk and socialize with the other incoming students (not that there won't be other opportunities, but that's at least where I met many of my friends that I continue to hang out with now).

mmestik

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby mmestik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...

User avatar
Leliana

Bronze
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:02 pm

mmestik wrote:Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...


Last year no one heard until after April 1st, some not until the third week of the month. CLS is known for being late with aid relative to other schools. I'm anxious too but resigned to the fact it'll be a few more weeks :P

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

dwall1121 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!


Awesome! NYC can be a lot to take in all at once, but I'm sure you'll love it.

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


If they've kept the program similar to last year, then the second day is a "choose-your-adventure" sort of day. Some programming in the morning, and then a bunch of options on what to do with the rest of your time. I think you'll miss the mock class, which I think (?) was on the first day for my class, but you'll be able to sit in on a real class the second day. The second day has housing visits, smaller-group talks with administration (re clerkships, clinics, externships, etc.), so on so forth. I think that the second day is actually the better of the two for getting a sense of what it's really like to be a student here, whereas the first day is all the flash and flair of a recruiting event. It's a pity that you'll miss the first night happy hour, though, as that's one of the better opportunities to talk and socialize with the other incoming students (not that there won't be other opportunities, but that's at least where I met many of my friends that I continue to hang out with now).


Thanks for the input. Judging by the breakdown below, the second day sounds similar to what you're describing. If I make it to the city on Wednesday night, it would only be for the happy hour, which, as I'm typing this, is really the most appealing part anyway.

8:15–9:30 a.m. Registration
8:45–10:00 a.m. Breakfast Reception with Administrators, Faculty, and Current Students
10:10–12:40 p.m. Coffee Chats with Faculty and Administrators
12:10–1:10 p.m. Lunch with Current Students
1:15–2:00 p.m. Student Panel
2:30–3:15 p.m. Q&A Session with Financial Aid 
2:30–4:00 p.m. University Apartment Viewing
2:30–3:30 p.m. Academic and Professional Office Hours
2:50–8:10 p.m. Opportunity to Visit Classes
4:00–5:00 p.m. Wine and Cheese Reception
6:00 p.m. After Hours with Student Organizations

User avatar
Dr_OIT

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Dr_OIT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm

VA2lawschool wrote:
NotAGolfer wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Leliana wrote:Idk, I'll be applying for UAH housing only because I already have a ton of furniture and the housing coordinator told me at ASD that all the law-only housing is pre-furnished.


I read somewhere on the forums that UAH studios are really hard to get. I'm torn between applying for Lensfest/Lionsgate (which is honestly pretty expensive for studios) or just trying for the UAH studios.



Also, there's still no Facebook group, right?


Yeah, I can't afford Lenfest/Lionsgate. I've honestly kind of resigned myself to the fact that a share is the most likely outcome and it's cheaper anyway.

And no not that I know of!



I just looked at Lionsgate pricing for a studio... What the hell? Yeah, no way I'm doing that.

UAH housing it is. It would be so clutch to get a W 116th studio. By the way, on the website it says "420 West 116th Street has furnished and unfurnished studio/efficiency and one bedroom apartments"

I'm scared about whom I'm going to get as a roommate, though. If they aren't clean I'm going to go crazy.

At least they ask you how often you clean on the housing app, makes me think they try to match people who have similar standards of cleanliness. Although their definitions are laughable...since when does cleaning once a week count as "often"??


Glad other people are equally worried about potential roommates and cleanliness :D Perhaps we should all request each other!


+180

User avatar
Dr_OIT

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:38 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Dr_OIT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:00 pm

dwall1121 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!


Exciting! Make sure you take some time, if you can, to check out some other parts of NYC. Morningside Heights is, obvi, not representative of most of the city :)

mmestik

New
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby mmestik » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Leliana wrote:
mmestik wrote:Has anyone received any financial aid packages yet? It's getting to the promised late march/early April time...


Last year no one heard until after April 1st, some not until the third week of the month. CLS is known for being late with aid relative to other schools. I'm anxious too but resigned to the fact it'll be a few more weeks :P

Wow, that late huh.... thanks for the info!

jpark86

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby jpark86 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Dr_OIT wrote:
dwall1121 wrote:
Stay-at-Home Son wrote:I'm a little late to the party here, congrats all.

Anyone going to the 3/29-3/30 Admitted Students program? I can only make the second day - can't take that much time off work. To those who've gone in the past, would you say only attending one out of the two days makes any difference? And more generally, any tips/what should I expect?


I'll be going! Sad I couldn't make the first program but so excited for this one. First time ever going to New York!!


Exciting! Make sure you take some time, if you can, to check out some other parts of NYC. Morningside Heights is, obvi, not representative of most of the city :)


definitely check out the Village, LES and perhaps even Williamsburg/dumbo in Brooklyn

gizmo1024

Bronze
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby gizmo1024 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:07 pm

Checking in!

catalina559

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby catalina559 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:01 pm

VapidP wrote:Anyone have any tips about negotiating for a scholarship? I got some money from NYU and I was wondering how does one negotiate with Columbia?


Wondering this as well - does Columbia even negotiate scholarships?



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests