Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

DogsAndWriting

New

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by DogsAndWriting » Wed May 31, 2017 4:02 pm

Any recommendations on places to get furniture near Morningside Heights? My apartment will be unfurnished, but I'd prefer to avoid going through the hassle of shipping a bed frame, mattress, etc. in from Texas. Obviously there's Craiglist and the like, but a store would be a lot more convenient. What do other out-of-state people moving into an unfurnished unit plan on doing?

tomgirl

New

Post by tomgirl » Wed May 31, 2017 4:15 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:
Leliana wrote:
tomgirl wrote:Do yall know whether the room we were assigned in two-bedroom apartments is definitely the one we get, or is there a chance our roommate will take the other room? (As in, is the room assignment firm?)
It's firm. The rent is by room not by unit, so different rooms within a unit can have different rents, and you are assigned a specific room. Source: friend who lives in UAH housing.

ETA: it is possible to switch rooms (friend took over a roommate's bigger bedroom after roommate moved out) but it has to be approved by UAH
Any insight into whether in the assignment of rooms, Unit 1 = Bedroom A, Unit 2 = Bedroom B, etc. on the floor-plan? The UAH site and the floor-plan say different things.
Ah, okay - seconding this question, then. One of the rooms in my apt is dramatically bigger than the other, so I'm curious which I've been assigned!

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:Any recommendations on places to get furniture near Morningside Heights? My apartment will be unfurnished, but I'd prefer to avoid going through the hassle of shipping a bed frame, mattress, etc. in from Texas. Obviously there's Craiglist and the like, but a store would be a lot more convenient. What do other out-of-state people moving into an unfurnished unit plan on doing?
Honestly it's probably easiest to rent a zipcar and go to Jersey. Some Columbia people have been posting free/extremely inexpensive things here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/285606788452393/

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Stay-at-Home Son wrote:Any insight into whether in the assignment of rooms, Unit 1 = Bedroom A, Unit 2 = Bedroom B, etc. on the floor-plan? The UAH site and the floor-plan say different things.
This I don't know unfortunately.

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Wed May 31, 2017 4:44 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:Any recommendations on places to get furniture near Morningside Heights? My apartment will be unfurnished, but I'd prefer to avoid going through the hassle of shipping a bed frame, mattress, etc. in from Texas. Obviously there's Craiglist and the like, but a store would be a lot more convenient. What do other out-of-state people moving into an unfurnished unit plan on doing?
When I moved to NYC I got all my furniture delivered from IKEA. I don't have any Morningside Heights-specific recommendations but pretty much every furniture store in NYC should deliver, which I would recommend/IMO is worth the cost because moving furniture in the city is a big hassle (parking, narrow hallways, stairs, etc...).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 31, 2017 4:45 pm

texcellence wrote:
Honestly it's probably easiest to rent a zipcar and go to Jersey. Some Columbia people have been posting free/extremely inexpensive things here too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/285606788452393/
If you just want a bed go to Sleepys and get it delivered. What kind of furniture do you want? There are pottery barn and pier one and there is IKEA in Brooklyn that you can take a ferry to. There are plenty of expensive stores as well. Then also department stores have furniture. And of course you can find any price options.

There are many stores here in NYC and I'm confused what you want.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Wish me luck on checking out this shoe box studio tomorrow :(

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Wed May 31, 2017 6:01 pm

While I'm (im)patiently waiting for my apt assignment... anybody else going to the Barbri law preview? I got the diversity $.

DogsAndWriting

New

Post by DogsAndWriting » Wed May 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Npret wrote:
texcellence wrote:
If you just want a bed go to Sleepys and get it delivered. What kind of furniture do you want? There are pottery barn and pier one and there is IKEA in Brooklyn that you can take a ferry to. There are plenty of expensive stores as well. Then also department stores have furniture. And of course you can find any price options.

I'd need a bed, work desk, dresser, bookshelf, and probably stuff for the living area (depends on what arrangement my roommate and I work out). Honestly, the other person's suggestions about getting stuff delivered from IKEA seems like the way to go, although I may check out the beds at Sleepy's too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

Last edited by texcellence on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:32 am

DogsAndWriting wrote:
Npret wrote:
texcellence wrote:

I'd need a bed, work desk, dresser, bookshelf, and probably stuff for the living area (depends on what arrangement my roommate and I work out). Honestly, the other person's suggestions about getting stuff delivered from IKEA seems like the way to go, although I may check out the beds at Sleepy's too. Thanks for the suggestions!
The ferry to Brooklyn could be fun for you instead of going to Jersey. But you can get a bus to IKEA in Jersey from Port Authority so you don't need to drive either place.
Unrelated plug: take a ferry over to Governors Island and spend some time if you get to NYC before the ferry closes at the end of the summer. I worked with the Board of Directors there a few years ago and it's a fun afternoon

https://govisland.com

Also highly recommend taking the train up to the Botanical Garden for the Chihuly exhibit that ends at the end of October.

https://www.nybg.org/event/chihuly/

Recommend the Bronx Zoo in the fall as well. When the leaves are down it's easier to see the animals, it's cooler out and the zoo is less crowded.
I'm sure you will find all the things to do in the city but those are three outdoor trips you can take that are time limited in a sense.
I only thought of this because of mentioning going to IKEA.

jebbush2k20

New

Post by jebbush2k20 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm

texcellence wrote:if anyone is legit stressed about not knowing what their assigned unit looks like, i was going through some paperwork to throw out and came across the apartment viewing sheet we got at ASP that has the contact info for various students living in different buildings/set-ups. i can .pdf it and send if you want to reach out to them.
Can you PM me and I'll send you my email address? I'd love to get that pdf!

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:32 pm

I'll put in a recommendation for Amazon. Now living in NYC, got my bed, frame, and a small table from them

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Put my deposit down today, moving in July 31 8)

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:27 am

FWIW, I got a good amount of my furniture and other things at the Costco in East Harlem. Got my desk, my couch, and my television cabinet (and my TV), and also got all my kitchen essentials (plates, silverware, etc.). They also had AC units, though I had already ordered one on Amazon. The shopping center where the Costco is located has lines of taxis, and a van that can carry most anything you'll buy will run you ~$25-30 to get back to Morningside. If you have a Costco membership, it's worth checking out.

laffytaffy222

New

Post by laffytaffy222 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:22 am

Did anyone else feel sort of ignored on housing requests? A girl and I requested each other as roommates and I kindly asked for a two bedroom, and we didn't get one another, I got put in a three bedroom and my rent is higher than my max rent (I think I was pretty reasonable in what I put down for max).

I've heard UAH is refusing to answer calls or emails (I emailed them and they've yet to answer)...is that what everyone else is experiencing? Anyone have any idea what my options are going forward? Should I ask for reassignment? I would maybe rather be in Lenfest or something honestly if I can't live with the roommate I requested, but I don't know what the chances are that I'd be assigned a room there on reassignment now...? :? :oops:

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:45 am

laffytaffy222 wrote:Did anyone else feel sort of ignored on housing requests? A girl and I requested each other as roommates and I kindly asked for a two bedroom, and we didn't get one another, I got put in a three bedroom and my rent is higher than my max rent (I think I was pretty reasonable in what I put down for max).

I've heard UAH is refusing to answer calls or emails (I emailed them and they've yet to answer)...is that what everyone else is experiencing? Anyone have any idea what my options are going forward? Should I ask for reassignment? I would maybe rather be in Lenfest or something honestly if I can't live with the roommate I requested, but I don't know what the chances are that I'd be assigned a room there on reassignment now...? :? :oops:
The housing office has been very responsive and helpful to me. They don't seem good with e-mails though, so you should just call the number here: http://www.law.columbia.edu/students/st ... ng/housing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 am

laffytaffy222 wrote:Did anyone else feel sort of ignored on housing requests? A girl and I requested each other as roommates and I kindly asked for a two bedroom, and we didn't get one another, I got put in a three bedroom and my rent is higher than my max rent (I think I was pretty reasonable in what I put down for max).

That might depend on lottery number unfortunately (and what each of you ranked as preferences)... you may have been lower in the list so maybe there were no more 2BR available? Sorry though :(

I had no luck calling them earlier this week, but I got a response same day when I filled out the form on their site.

lnsl123

Bronze

Post by lnsl123 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:25 am

I found them to be very responsive via email but not via phone. I'd try both and maybe ask your question in the Columbia Students taking Questions thread.

unrelated

Bronze

Post by unrelated » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:35 pm

Anyone else not get a floorplan in their assignment? I got a 2Br at 529 111th Street--anyone had a chance to view apartments there?

jasmineTT

New

Post by jasmineTT » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:11 pm

I also got an assignment that didn't match my preferences but I called Juliana who told me to call Kwesi Alleyne, whose the person that handles swaps in UAH. He was able to change my assignment to one that is basically perfect for me so maybe try that route too! Do it before your offer expires though!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 pm

I have a friends wedding August 26, I am going to need to take off Friday the 25th as I am in the wedding party and need to be at the rehearsal. I am guessing this will not be a problem, right? Just a bit wary taking off a day so early into the school year.

lawdude31

Bronze

Post by lawdude31 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:39 pm

jjcorvino wrote:I have a friends wedding August 26, I am going to need to take off Friday the 25th as I am in the wedding party and need to be at the rehearsal. I am guessing this will not be a problem, right? Just a bit wary taking off a day so early into the school year.
Nah, I'm sure its fine. It's only the orientation courses anyway.

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I feel forgotten by the UAH
not a beep from them yet
Don't tell me I'm at the bottom of their list... :roll:

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:25 pm

hellohalo wrote:I feel forgotten by the UAH
not a beep from them yet
Don't tell me I'm at the bottom of their list... :roll:
Got my assignment. 2-bedroom share. not bad, the price and the location are both good
Seeing previous posts, I incline to buy new furniture and have them delivered too

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”