Columbia Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
17%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
14%
UAH apartments
41%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
16%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
12%

Total votes: 81

Leliana

Bronze

Columbia Class of 2020

Post by Leliana » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:45 pm

COLUMBIA LAW CLASS OF 2020

helpful links

J.D. Admissions
Admitted Students Website
Visit Campus *requires log in
Financial Aid *requires log in
Housing *requires log in
Columbia Students Taking Questions Thread

visiting columbia

** ADMITTED STUDENT PROGRAM - MARCH 1-2 or MARCH 29-30
"The Admitted Student Program is a two-day event that is designed to provide you with a deeper understanding of the unique academic, co-curricular, and social environments at Columbia Law School."

** MONDAYS AT COLUMBIA - FEBRUARY 20 or APRIL 24
"Admitted students who are unable to attend an Admitted Student Program are encouraged to visit during "Mondays at Columbia." The full-day event is designed to provide admitted student with a snapshot of life at the Law School, including opportunities to meet Dean Gillian Lester, administrators and students, as well as view Columbia University student apartments."

** DAILY GUIDED TOURS - FEBRUARY 21 through APRIL 20
"The Law School offers guided tours for admitted students, Monday to Thursday, February 21 through April 20. The tours begin at the Office of Admissions. Afterward, Student Ambassadors will hold informal "Office Hours," where they are available to answer any questions that you may have about their experiences at the Law School."

important dates and deadlines

** MARCH 1 - SUBMISSION DEADLINE FOR GRANT APPLICANTS
This includes the Law School Financial Aid Questionnaire (required of all applicants for any type of financial aid), the Need Access Application, 2015 Federal Income Tax Forms (for all persons included on the Need Access Application), the FAFSA, and Federal Loan Applications.

** MAY 1 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT ENROLLMENT DECISION
"Please inform us of your enrollment decision by May 1. You may do so by completing the Enrollment Decision Form, electronically (strongly preferred) or manually." This requires a $600 deposit.

** MAY 15 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT UNIVERSITY APARTMENT HOUSING APPLICATION
"Columbia Law School guarantees housing for all students who (1) apply for housing by May 15 of the year they matriculate and (2) maintain continuous academic residence at the Law School for the three years of the J.D. program. A majority of students use this housing guarantee and live on campus for the entire three years at Columbia."

** MAY 15 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION FOR LOANS
For those applying only for loans, this includes the Law School Financial Aid Questionnaire, the FAFSA, and Federal Loan Applications.

** JUNE 1 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT APPLICATION FOR TONY PATIÑO FELLOWSHIP
"The Tony Patiño Fellowship is a merit scholarship awarded to law students who demonstrate leadership, a commitment to public service, and outstanding academic and personal achievement."

** JUNE 1 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT WRITTEN REQUEST FOR DEFERRAL
"Columbia Law School maintains a liberal deferral policy that can allow admitted students to defer matriculation for up to two years."

** JUNE 15 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT DEAN'S CERTIFICATION(S)
"To matriculate at Columbia Law School, you must submit a completed Dean’s Certification (PDF) from each school at which you were matriculated toward a degree, including graduate programs and any school from which you may have transferred." ** REQUIRED

** JULY 1 - DEADLINE FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENT GRANT RECIPIENTS TO SUBMIT VISA/LOAN DOCUMENTATION
"We request that, by July 1, international grant applicants or grant recipients who plan to enroll provide the Financial Aid Office with proof of their approved loan(s) in the amount(s) they will need."

** JULY 1 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT WRITTEN REQUEST FOR A $150 TUITION DEPOSIT REFUND, IF WITHDRAWING ACCEPTANCE

** JULY 10 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION TO MEET UNIVERSITY IMMUNIZATION COMPLIANCE REQUIREMENTS

** AUGUST 1 - DEADLINE TO SUBMIT OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT

** AUGUST 14 and 15 - 1L REGISTRATION AND ORIENTATION
The Orientation website is offline until late Spring. More information coming soon.
Last edited by Leliana on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Post by AFtoLawschool » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:49 pm

I stole the first post from 2019's post made by UGG.

If you see anything incorrect, let me know!

Heading to the ASW March 1-2, pumped!

togoornottogo

New

Post by togoornottogo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:59 am

Checking in. Will potentially be at the Columbia Monday April 24th.

AJ1010

Bronze

Post by AJ1010 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:00 pm

anyone know if they offer a stipend for ASW?

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:07 pm

AJ1010 wrote:anyone know if they offer a stipend for ASW?
Yes, up to $300, but you have to contact the admissions office for written approval in advance. The info is on the admitted students website.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leliana

Bronze

Post by Leliana » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Also 'sup, checking in. I'll probably be deciding between here and NYU. Going to ASW March 1-2!

texteach

Bronze

Post by texteach » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:09 pm

Checking in - also, they only offered me $100 for ASW, and I'm coming from Texas. It only covered 1/2 my flight. :?

ctl95

New

Post by ctl95 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Visiting on March 1-2 as well! Where are you all staying? Hotels in NYC are so expensive I've been avoiding booking because seeing the prices makes me cri

hellohalo

Silver

Post by hellohalo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Checkin. See you on March 1-2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawnilawdmann

New

Post by lawnilawdmann » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:19 pm

ctl95 wrote:Visiting on March 1-2 as well! Where are you all staying? Hotels in NYC are so expensive I've been avoiding booking because seeing the prices makes me cri
Visiting March 1-2 too!

I live in NYC so the hotel part is not a problem for me but if prices are particularly bad (which I imagine they probably are) I would recommend looking north and south (that is towards the northern part of manhattan instead of the midtown area or into the end of Brooklyn closer to the city) as prices generally get significantly more reasonable the further you get from the city center. If you're willing to have a bit of a subway ride (30 minutes or so, maybe 40 depending on the line) it really isn't all too bad and you might save a decent chunk of change.

Also AirBNB is well worth looking through if you're comfortable with that sort of thing.

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm

ctl95 wrote:Visiting on March 1-2 as well! Where are you all staying? Hotels in NYC are so expensive I've been avoiding booking because seeing the prices makes me cri
See you there! I booked a room in an Airbnb, it's walkable to campus and super cheap compared to hotels. Staying with a stranger might not be for everyone, but for my budget it is perfect! :)

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Bronze

Post by Rich Uncle Skeleton » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 am

Checking in for March 1-2 as well! As far as applyibg for grants goes, how many of those forms are necessary for merit-only grants? Do we just need to submit the questionnaire or all of the forms?

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Rich Uncle Skeleton wrote:Checking in for March 1-2 as well! As far as applyibg for grants goes, how many of those forms are necessary for merit-only grants? Do we just need to submit the questionnaire or all of the forms?

As far as I know, you have to do the entire grant application for merit aid. They don't separate merit and need aid.

The only aid that doesn't require separate applications is Butler/Hamilton and a small handful of fellowships, but those you would know about with your acceptance letter or shortly after.

It's a hefty application for sure, lot's of information to send in.
Last edited by AFtoLawschool on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Congrats guys!

The Columbia students taking questions thread has a ton of info in it, but post any questions in there about CLS and people are always happy to help. start getting used to CLS's crazy bureaucracy

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=176925
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Congrats guys!

The Columbia students taking questions thread has a ton of info in it, but post any questions in there about CLS and people are always happy to help. start getting used to CLS's crazy bureaucracy

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=176925

Added it to the first post, thanks!

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:22 pm

As a side note, does anybody know how I can add [IMG] permissions to my account? It won't let me post images in the first post. Any ideas?

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:27 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:As a side note, does anybody know how I can add [IMG] permissions to my account? It won't let me post images in the first post. Any ideas?
Gotta have a post count of 100, and the account has to be older than 2 weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
AFtoLawschool wrote:As a side note, does anybody know how I can add [IMG] permissions to my account? It won't let me post images in the first post. Any ideas?
Ah. Well, there probably won't be a picture on the first post of the thread anytime soon.

Bearlyalive

Silver

Post by Bearlyalive » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:12 pm

AFtoLawschool wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
Ah. Well, there probably won't be a picture on the first post of the thread anytime soon.
Join the lounge and start shitpoasting, you'll get to 100 in no time. Alternatively, start a cake v. pie debate or post links to cute animals in http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=273745, since that thread desperately needs more participation anyways.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Checking in! Will definitely be attending in the fall!
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Checking in! Will definitely be attending in Fall 2020.
Enjoy being c/o 2023! :lol: :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:51 am

benwyatt wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Checking in! Will definitely be attending in Fall 2020.
Enjoy being c/o 2023! :lol: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: I am stupid

Thank you so much, by the way! For your help and everything. I'm so damn excited.

togoornottogo

New

Post by togoornottogo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 am

AFtoLawschool wrote:
Rich Uncle Skeleton wrote:Checking in for March 1-2 as well! As far as applyibg for grants goes, how many of those forms are necessary for merit-only grants? Do we just need to submit the questionnaire or all of the forms?

As far as I know, you have to do the entire grant application for merit aid. They don't separate merit and need aid.

The only aid that doesn't require separate applications is Butler/Hamilton and a small handful of fellowships, but those you would know about with your acceptance letter or shortly after.

It's a hefty application for sure, lot's of information to send in.

From what I've heard Columbia can be stingy with Merit Aid, especially non Butler or Hamilton Aid. Have others experienced/heard similarly?

Related but different topic, is anyone else looking into Institutional Loans? I don't have too much info yet on their prevalence but would consider as an International Student.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 am

Looking forward to seeing you guys March 1 - 2. Is everybody dressing casual?
Life-time New Yorker here, NYC is great and I can't be more excited to be going to school/living at Morningside Heights. As someone who went to undergrad in the financial district, I think it will be good for my grades to be away from midtown/the lower sides haha

AFtoLawschool

Bronze

Post by AFtoLawschool » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 am

togoornottogo wrote:

From what I've heard Columbia can be stingy with Merit Aid, especially non Butler or Hamilton Aid. Have others experienced/heard similarly?

Related but different topic, is anyone else looking into Institutional Loans? I don't have too much info yet on their prevalence but would consider as an International Student.
I've heard the same, though they definitely still give some out. Looks like they start releasing scholarship info very early April normally.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”