Columbia Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you hoping to live?

Law school housing - Lenfest/Lionsgate
11
15%
Law school housing - 115th/116th
10
14%
UAH apartments
31
44%
Off-campus - Morningside Heights/surrounding neighborhoods
12
17%
Off-campus - farther away (but why tho)
7
10%
 
Total votes: 71

WiseAsianCow
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby WiseAsianCow » Fri May 26, 2017 9:57 am

palalc wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
texteach wrote:
WiseAsianCow wrote:Did anyone else get shafted by the move-in date?

I will be charged for the summer semester (~$3,500) if i accept the offer because my assigned move-in date 8/7-8/11 (which was only one of three preferences)

is before 8/12 (the start of rent for fall term).


I have the same problem. Did you call to confirm you will get charged that full amount or just some prorated version of that for the days you are actually in there?



That seems absurd, especially since we have to be at school before the 15th...


I have the same move-in period and saw the "summer semester" price but I hadn't even considered that I would have to pay for that until I read this. If anyone calls the office please post to clarify. I plan to call tomorrow regarding another issue so I will ask about it then if no one gets an answer before.


I got a reply and it's prorated

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:06 pm

So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???

User avatar
SpikeSeagull
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby SpikeSeagull » Fri May 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/garde ... ml?mcubz=0

It can be done!

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:21 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???


http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/garde ... ml?mcubz=0

Well daymn.

I'm going to check out the assignment on Wednesday, I called in and they said they will extend my decision deadline as the current tenant is moving out this weekend so I can't view it until then.

West 120 street btw

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Sat May 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???


Single? Couple?

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:00 pm

hellohalo wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???


Single? Couple?



Single

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Sun May 28, 2017 12:48 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:So I got assigned a UAH studio but I looked at the floor plan and it's.... 260 square feet???


Single? Couple?



Single


Nothing personal. But how come you get your assignment already while many of us still waiting. :shock:

champstick
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby champstick » Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 am

Think the assignment is by lottery order. I got mine as well as a single, and it was my first option.

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 515
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 am

Oh well guess I won't get my first choice then :|

User avatar
WordsworthIsBae
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby WordsworthIsBae » Tue May 30, 2017 1:38 pm

WiseAsianCow wrote:
palalc wrote:
tomgirl wrote:
texteach wrote:
WiseAsianCow wrote:Did anyone else get shafted by the move-in date?

I will be charged for the summer semester (~$3,500) if i accept the offer because my assigned move-in date 8/7-8/11 (which was only one of three preferences)

is before 8/12 (the start of rent for fall term).


I have the same problem. Did you call to confirm you will get charged that full amount or just some prorated version of that for the days you are actually in there?



That seems absurd, especially since we have to be at school before the 15th...


I have the same move-in period and saw the "summer semester" price but I hadn't even considered that I would have to pay for that until I read this. If anyone calls the office please post to clarify. I plan to call tomorrow regarding another issue so I will ask about it then if no one gets an answer before.


I got a reply and it's prorated


That's a relief! Did you contact the UAH office by phone or in writing?

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Yeah, they are not answering the phone, I have been trying to contact them all morning haha. Finally just sent in the form on their site...

tomgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:01 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby tomgirl » Tue May 30, 2017 2:40 pm

Leliana wrote:Yeah, they are not answering the phone, I have been trying to contact them all morning haha. Finally just sent in the form on their site...


Just to add on to the comment about rooms being pro-rated, I called today and the guy I spoke to said that you start paying from the day you move in, so if you move in on the 11th you're essentially only charged for one day extra.

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Tue May 30, 2017 3:09 pm

tomgirl wrote:
Leliana wrote:Yeah, they are not answering the phone, I have been trying to contact them all morning haha. Finally just sent in the form on their site...


Just to add on to the comment about rooms being pro-rated, I called today and the guy I spoke to said that you start paying from the day you move in, so if you move in on the 11th you're essentially only charged for one day extra.


That makes sense, thanks!

For anyone wondering about checking out your assigned unit if you are local, I just got a response. If your unit is vacant, you can pick up a pass from the UAH office to see it on weekdays between 9-11:30 am and 1-3:30pm.

User avatar
DogsAndWriting
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby DogsAndWriting » Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Just got my UAH assignment! Has anyone had success asking the housing people to lower your deposit? If so, by how much did they budge?

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:Just got my UAH assignment! Has anyone had success asking the housing people to lower your deposit? If so, by how much did they budge?


They told me you get the deposit back on like the move in date or something, so I'm just going to put it on a credit card.

skigirl3136
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby skigirl3136 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 am

DogsAndWriting wrote:Just got my UAH assignment! Has anyone had success asking the housing people to lower your deposit? If so, by how much did they budge?


I emailed Juliana Utley first and then she told me to email Fabbiola Cruz of UAH (mfc2129@columbia.edu) explaining my situation. Fabbiola replied to me within an hour or two saying she was able to decrease my deposit from $1000 to $100. I think they do this on a case-by-case basis if you have a compelling reason why you cannot pay the full deposit right now.

ottovon
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby ottovon » Wed May 31, 2017 11:06 am

Got my assignment yesterday. I think I got it sooner than others because I accidentally said I preferred to move in in May. Called UAH and when I finally got through, a very nice lady was able to change my move-in date right away. She also confirmed that rent is pro-rated and starts from the day you move in. Furnished 2br on W 118th St. The floor plan was included as a .pdf in the housing portal. The apartment itself seems big (the living room is just under 300 sq ft) but my room is the smaller of the two and just over 100 sq ft with the window facing the other side of the building. Rent is $1245 including utilities by my calculations. How does this compare to other assignments? Anybody got more info on the 400 buildings on 118th?

skigirl3136
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby skigirl3136 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 pm

ottovon wrote:Got my assignment yesterday. I think I got it sooner than others because I accidentally said I preferred to move in in May. Called UAH and when I finally got through, a very nice lady was able to change my move-in date right away. She also confirmed that rent is pro-rated and starts from the day you move in. Furnished 2br on W 118th St. The floor plan was included as a .pdf in the housing portal. The apartment itself seems big (the living room is just under 300 sq ft) but my room is the smaller of the two and just over 100 sq ft with the window facing the other side of the building. Rent is $1245 including utilities by my calculations. How does this compare to other assignments? Anybody got more info on the 400 buildings on 118th?


Very similar to mine. Unfurnished 2br on W 119th St for about $1250 a month incl. utilities. No floor plan but my roommate is already there and she measured my room and said it's about 12x14.5 feet, so a little bigger than yours but you're also paying for the furniture they're providing.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Can the people who got studios tell me their square footage please

User avatar
DogsAndWriting
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:44 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby DogsAndWriting » Wed May 31, 2017 3:07 pm

skigirl3136 wrote:
DogsAndWriting wrote:Just got my UAH assignment! Has anyone had success asking the housing people to lower your deposit? If so, by how much did they budge?


I emailed Juliana Utley first and then she told me to email Fabbiola Cruz of UAH (mfc2129@columbia.edu) explaining my situation. Fabbiola replied to me within an hour or two saying she was able to decrease my deposit from $1000 to $100. I think they do this on a case-by-case basis if you have a compelling reason why you cannot pay the full deposit right now.


I contacted the general UAH email last night, and Fabbiola replied this morning and lowered my deposit to $100. The CLS bureaucracy gets a lot of heat, but UAH really came through here. Props to them.

trevian39
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby trevian39 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:10 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Can the people who got studios tell me their square footage please


362 sq. ft. for me! Assuming I did the math right...

On a separate note, I just got an email telling me that my university email/UNI will expire in July and instructing me how to create an alumni one?!?!? :shock: Wth?? Anyone else get this? I've been desperately calling but admissions office still has their Memorial Day answering message up and every other office I've called goes to voicemail!

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm

trevian39 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Can the people who got studios tell me their square footage please


362 sq. ft. for me! Assuming I did the math right...

On a separate note, I just got an email telling me that my university email/UNI will expire in July and instructing me how to create an alumni one?!?!? :shock: Wth?? Anyone else get this? I've been desperately calling but admissions office still has their Memorial Day answering message up and every other office I've called goes to voicemail!


Couple? or Single?

tomgirl
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:01 am

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby tomgirl » Wed May 31, 2017 3:24 pm

DogsAndWriting wrote:
skigirl3136 wrote:
DogsAndWriting wrote:Just got my UAH assignment! Has anyone had success asking the housing people to lower your deposit? If so, by how much did they budge?


I emailed Juliana Utley first and then she told me to email Fabbiola Cruz of UAH (mfc2129@columbia.edu) explaining my situation. Fabbiola replied to me within an hour or two saying she was able to decrease my deposit from $1000 to $100. I think they do this on a case-by-case basis if you have a compelling reason why you cannot pay the full deposit right now.


I contacted the general UAH email last night, and Fabbiola replied this morning and lowered my deposit to $100. The CLS bureaucracy gets a lot of heat, but UAH really came through here. Props to them.


I also emailed Fabbiola and she replied within 15 minutes and lowered my deposit to $100. Worth doing! Do yall know whether the room we were assigned in two-bedroom apartments is definitely the one we get, or is there a chance our roommate will take the other room? (As in, is the room assignment firm?)

User avatar
Leliana
Posts: 464
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Leliana » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 pm

tomgirl wrote:Do yall know whether the room we were assigned in two-bedroom apartments is definitely the one we get, or is there a chance our roommate will take the other room? (As in, is the room assignment firm?)


It's firm. The rent is by room not by unit, so different rooms within a unit can have different rents, and you are assigned a specific room. Source: friend who lives in UAH housing.

ETA: it is possible to switch rooms (friend took over a roommate's bigger bedroom after roommate moved out) but it has to be approved by UAH

User avatar
Stay-at-Home Son
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Columbia Class of 2020

Postby Stay-at-Home Son » Wed May 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Leliana wrote:
tomgirl wrote:Do yall know whether the room we were assigned in two-bedroom apartments is definitely the one we get, or is there a chance our roommate will take the other room? (As in, is the room assignment firm?)


It's firm. The rent is by room not by unit, so different rooms within a unit can have different rents, and you are assigned a specific room. Source: friend who lives in UAH housing.

ETA: it is possible to switch rooms (friend took over a roommate's bigger bedroom after roommate moved out) but it has to be approved by UAH


Any insight into whether in the assignment of rooms, Unit 1 = Bedroom A, Unit 2 = Bedroom B, etc. on the floor-plan? The UAH site and the floor-plan say different things.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest