Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
24
39%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
4
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
8
13%
Still conflicted
7
11%
That's gonna be a no for me
19
31%
 
Total votes: 62

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:When are people locking down apartment leases? Would July be too late?


I'm going to check one out tomorrow, but the manager indicated to me that I'm on the early side of things and that the units she would be showing me wouldn't be available until July/August. That's all to say that I think you'll be fine if you start diligently hunting on July 1.

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:When are people locking down apartment leases? Would July be too late?


I'm going to check one out tomorrow, but the manager indicated to me that I'm on the early side of things and that the units she would be showing me wouldn't be available until July/August. That's all to say that I think you'll be fine if you start diligently hunting on July 1.

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Are you looking in streeterville, or will you be living further out? I'm contemplating the Lakeview area

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 am

carsondalywashere wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:When are people locking down apartment leases? Would July be too late?


I'm going to check one out tomorrow, but the manager indicated to me that I'm on the early side of things and that the units she would be showing me wouldn't be available until July/August. That's all to say that I think you'll be fine if you start diligently hunting on July 1.

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Are you looking in streeterville, or will you be living further out? I'm contemplating the Lakeview area


There are less than a handful of units in Streeterville that fall inside my budget, but I've got my eyes on one I really like. If that doesn't work out, I'll try to get something in LP/Lakeview.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:06 am

Hi all,
Northwestern 3L here.
I am looking for a new tenant for my condo in Chicago. My current tenant is an awesome 1L but is moving in with her best friend. She says I'm a great landlord. :) If you've been around the lounge for a while, you will remember my tales of gutting and rehabbing the place by hand with my siblings in 2014. It was a blast and the place looks awesome now, with great views of the city. 15 min walk to campus.

I am asking $1850/month since it includes literally everything (internet, heat, AC, cable + HBO/Showtime, water, electric) AND it's furnished (microwave, large sectional couch, TV stand, coffee table, desk + chair, bed + mattress with mattress protector). There's a walk-in closet, L-shaped, with elfa shelving units so it's entirely customizable. All you need to bring are your clothes, linens, and a television.

PM me for more details.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 am

Edited to remove uneducated rambling. :)
Last edited by RedPurpleBlue on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:17 am

blahblahblah law school blahblahblah
Last edited by BaberhamLincoln on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
alpha kenny body

Gold
Posts: 4850
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby alpha kenny body » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:Wow, if there is really anyone who can 1) afford to pay $1950/mo. as a student and 2) is willing to pay $1950/mo., then I don't really know what to say. The moneybags of some peoples' parents must be far bigger than I thought. I honestly thought $1,300/mo. was already outrageous for a student.

You are in for a cruel awakening

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:08 am

Edited to remove uneducated rambling. :)
Last edited by RedPurpleBlue on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Watababe

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
fips tedora wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:.





Currently live in Chicago (we'll see how Northwestern does with money for whether or not I stay). Had to hunt hardcore to find something semi-decent in Lakeview 2.5 years ago that was around $1000 and it was honestly under market value (next building down had exact same apartments, they were 200 a month more). I moved out because rent was going up at a greater precent than my raise. Had to move to Roger's Park and am paying 1100 a month for a decent place that's right on Loyola's Lakeshore campus. If you're ok with a shit apartment you can find things for cheaper (I was planning on trying to go for something under 1000 but everything was awful), but if you want something even semi-nice you're gonna be paying, especially if you want something close to campus. (seriously streeterville/gold coast/mag mile you have to hunt and be 100% looking all the time to get a deal)

Also, for the question about when to look for apartments, remember Chicago isn't a college town so you'll probably need to wait until only a month or two before you plan to move. Many places won't even know until then if a unit will be available for when you want it.
Last edited by Watababe on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Watababe

Bronze
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby Watababe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:25 am

ray.bee wrote:Can anyone with no established credit (K-JD) speak to finding housing? Do you need a cosigner for sure?


Can't speak for certain, but there's a good chance. You may want to look for people just trying to rent a room in their condo/house because often times they care a little less about that. I know when I was in undergrad I could use my financial aid award letter [so loans plus scholarship] as proof of income, but I went to college in a college town so landlords were used to that (and also only allowed students to have co-signers).


If you don't have anyone to cosign, using an apartment finding service can help because they'll have a better idea of who will rent to you or not. Some landlords require employment, others require 3 to 4 times your monthly rent in income (some are as low as 2). In Chicago, I've used Apartment People out of the Lakeview office and have had a great experience both times (had the same realtor both times too which did help...not all of them are great). There are several free services like this (you get charged nothing, they get your app fee which may or may not be more than what the landlord would charge you because they set their own and they also get your first month's rent instead of the landlord. If you're moving mid-month, they get a full month of rent and your land lord will reduce the next month's) and I highly recommend them, especially for those new to the city. You just have to be ready to be firm about your budget (while realistic) and also not feel too pressured to sign something.

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 am

One more note about apartment pricing is that you have to remember utilities aren't cheap. It gets really cold and you might end up spending $200-250/month on all your utilities, especially if you like fast internet, a warm apartment and HBO/showtime like I do. So 1850 for my condo sounds like a lot but it includes everything. Food for thought when you're searching.

User avatar
MT Cicero

Silver
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:One more note about apartment pricing is that you have to remember utilities aren't cheap. It gets really cold and you might end up spending $200-250/month on all your utilities, especially if you like fast internet, a warm apartment and HBO/showtime like I do. So 1850 for my condo sounds like a lot but it includes everything. Food for thought when you're searching.


Yeah, was going to chime in that 1850 (minus) utilities (minus) furniture (minus) headache dealing w/furniture & utilities, including moving/delivery costs = probably a base range of $1400-1525/month for a year.

Fairly reasonable for hassle-free move and proximity to school.
Last edited by MT Cicero on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby btruj777 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:29 pm

In case it matters to anyone, the bookstore is having at 25% discount on "all"* Under Armour stuff. The sale ends today. I love showing my school pride so I am slowly building my collection of NU stuff.


*not all

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Edited to remove uneducated rambling. :)
Last edited by RedPurpleBlue on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BruiseWillis

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BruiseWillis » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

btruj777 wrote:In case it matters to anyone, the bookstore is having at 25% discount on "all"* Under Armour stuff. The sale ends today. I love showing my school pride so I am slowly building my collection of NU stuff.


*not all

link pls

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:09 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
btruj777 wrote:In case it matters to anyone, the bookstore is having at 25% discount on "all"* Under Armour stuff. The sale ends today. I love showing my school pride so I am slowly building my collection of NU stuff.


*not all

link pls


http://northwestern.bncollege.com/webap ... &langId=-1

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:12 pm

BruiseWillis wrote:
btruj777 wrote:In case it matters to anyone, the bookstore is having at 25% discount on "all"* Under Armour stuff. The sale ends today. I love showing my school pride so I am slowly building my collection of NU stuff.


*not all

link pls

plzzzzzzz

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby guynourmin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:16 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:There's a reason why the NU room + board limit for federal loans is ~$14,000; it's because you shouldn't be paying even close to $1,950/mo. I really think it's a terrible price considering you can find nice enough places at more than reasonable distances. Also, I grew up in the rural Midwest, so that's a factor when reacting to prices.


Not speaking for the landlord here, but I'm pretty sure his target tenant isn't someone who will be paying for their rent with student loans (because, as you said, there's a limit and this well exceeds that limit). NU has an older student body, though, many of whom have been working for 4, 5, 10 years, who won't be debt-financing their entire COL. NU, like all law schools, is also going to have their fair share of rich people.

Calling it a "terrible price" seems unnecessary and totally off-base. He's not trying to rent it to you, move on, right? I can't afford $1,900/mo either, so I read his post and then just kept reading because its not intended for me.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm

guybourdin wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:There's a reason why the NU room + board limit for federal loans is ~$14,000; it's because you shouldn't be paying even close to $1,950/mo. I really think it's a terrible price considering you can find nice enough places at more than reasonable distances. Also, I grew up in the rural Midwest, so that's a factor when reacting to prices.


Not speaking for the landlord here, but I'm pretty sure his target tenant isn't someone who will be paying for their rent with student loans (because, as you said, there's a limit and this well exceeds that limit). NU has an older student body, though, many of whom have been working for 4, 5, 10 years, who won't be debt-financing their entire COL. NU, like all law schools, is also going to have their fair share of rich people.

Calling it a "terrible price" seems unnecessary and totally off-base. He's not trying to rent it to you, move on, right? I can't afford $1,900/mo either, so I read his post and then just kept reading because its not intended for me.


You're probably right.

User avatar
MT Cicero

Silver
Posts: 692
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby MT Cicero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Edited to remove folksy wisdom. :)
Last edited by MT Cicero on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
btruj777

Bronze
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby btruj777 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
BruiseWillis wrote:
btruj777 wrote:In case it matters to anyone, the bookstore is having at 25% discount on "all"* Under Armour stuff. The sale ends today. I love showing my school pride so I am slowly building my collection of NU stuff.


*not all

link pls

plzzzzzzz



http://northwestern.bncollege.com/webap ... &langId=-1

User avatar
BaberhamLincoln

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:53 pm

blahblahblah law school blahblahblah
Last edited by BaberhamLincoln on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:


See my reply to @guybourdin. Now, let's stop beating a dead horse.

ETA: I'd repost your opening, so new readers can see it after this shit show instead of before.

ray.bee

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby ray.bee » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 pm

Watababe wrote:
ray.bee wrote:Can anyone with no established credit (K-JD) speak to finding housing? Do you need a cosigner for sure?


Can't speak for certain, but there's a good chance. You may want to look for people just trying to rent a room in their condo/house because often times they care a little less about that. I know when I was in undergrad I could use my financial aid award letter [so loans plus scholarship] as proof of income, but I went to college in a college town so landlords were used to that (and also only allowed students to have co-signers).


If you don't have anyone to cosign, using an apartment finding service can help because they'll have a better idea of who will rent to you or not. Some landlords require employment, others require 3 to 4 times your monthly rent in income (some are as low as 2). In Chicago, I've used Apartment People out of the Lakeview office and have had a great experience both times (had the same realtor both times too which did help...not all of them are great). There are several free services like this (you get charged nothing, they get your app fee which may or may not be more than what the landlord would charge you because they set their own and they also get your first month's rent instead of the landlord. If you're moving mid-month, they get a full month of rent and your land lord will reduce the next month's) and I highly recommend them, especially for those new to the city. You just have to be ready to be firm about your budget (while realistic) and also not feel too pressured to sign something.


This was very helpful! Thank you:)

gilbilya

New
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby gilbilya » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:12 pm

Hi just wondering what exactly does "Other Student Resources" on CAESAR under my financial aid entail? I have a $44,733 listed in that column with a $40,000 annual grant. Does that mean I still have to pay $44,733 per year?



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests