Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

How decided are you on NU?

Tuition deposit is in and I'm ready to go!
24
39%
Tuition deposit not in, but it's an emphatic yes
4
6%
Planning on committing if they give me the right coins (i.e. scholly reconsideration)
8
13%
Still conflicted
7
11%
That's gonna be a no for me
19
31%
 
Total votes: 62

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Also, there's only like... 40 people in the NU Law FB group
Image

I'ma need them to start tweeting out the link every few hours :lol: :lol:

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:21 pm

brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:Do we know how generous NU is historically? I want to temper any expectations if they're known to be a little stingy lol


I'm hopeful, fwiw. They also came into a ton of money recently.


Yeah. Like $100 million or something like that, right? It was a hugeeee donation. It's the reason the law school is now "Pritzker" lol

And idk if anyone has checked out the "Motion to Lead" campaign they're working on, but one of the goals is "Address the high costs of legal education"

Given the seismic, structural shifts in the employment market for law graduates, along with the high levels of student debt, there is an urgent need to address the gap between earnings and debt for an increasing number of our graduates. Despite the additional investments in financial aid and restrained tuition increases in recent years, students with incomes at the lower end of the graduating student income scale are finding it difficult to service their debt upon graduation.

Over the next several years, we will invest substantially in financial aid for our entering and continuing law students. Some of these investments will continue to help us recruit the most highly qualified students. Such recruitment has become an increasingly competitive process, as our peer law schools have also invested in financial aid and have, in the cases of the wealthiest law schools, leveraged their resources to recruit applicants through substantial financial aid. Our continuing excellence and reputation depends upon our ability to recruit these extraordinary students. Relatedly, our objectives of recruiting a diverse student body — diverse upon several dimensions — requires augmented financial investment.

In addition, we will invest in the well-being of our students by providing increased financial support for those in financial need. While we provide scholarship support for needy students, our ability to provide support adequate to ameliorate student need and thereby keep debt manageable has been limited — not as a result of a wavering commitment, but because of a lack of suitable funds. We need to do better. A key element of this strategic plan is to raise external funds to make a significant dent in aggregate student debt. After all, Northwestern Law must be a place which welcomes and educates top quality students regardless of financial condition and circumstance. Student debt impacts student learning, career choice, and post-graduate well-being. We are committed to assuaging these serious impacts with constructive financial aid efforts.

If we are successful, the aggregate debt of our graduates will diminish substantially over time and our position on this particular statistic will move to the bottom quartile of the cohort of top law schools. Moreover, we are committed to taking measures that will influence other top law schools, as well as law schools generally, to take similar steps to reduce the cost of legal education writ-large.


Oh yes! All of this just brightened my day...

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:Do we know how generous NU is historically? I want to temper any expectations if they're known to be a little stingy lol


I'm hopeful, fwiw. They also came into a ton of money recently.


Yeah. Like $100 million or something like that, right? It was a hugeeee donation. It's the reason the law school is now "Pritzker" lol

And idk if anyone has checked out the "Motion to Lead" campaign they're working on, but one of the goals is "Address the high costs of legal education"

Given the seismic, structural shifts in the employment market for law graduates, along with the high levels of student debt, there is an urgent need to address the gap between earnings and debt for an increasing number of our graduates. Despite the additional investments in financial aid and restrained tuition increases in recent years, students with incomes at the lower end of the graduating student income scale are finding it difficult to service their debt upon graduation.

Over the next several years, we will invest substantially in financial aid for our entering and continuing law students. Some of these investments will continue to help us recruit the most highly qualified students. Such recruitment has become an increasingly competitive process, as our peer law schools have also invested in financial aid and have, in the cases of the wealthiest law schools, leveraged their resources to recruit applicants through substantial financial aid. Our continuing excellence and reputation depends upon our ability to recruit these extraordinary students. Relatedly, our objectives of recruiting a diverse student body — diverse upon several dimensions — requires augmented financial investment.

In addition, we will invest in the well-being of our students by providing increased financial support for those in financial need. While we provide scholarship support for needy students, our ability to provide support adequate to ameliorate student need and thereby keep debt manageable has been limited — not as a result of a wavering commitment, but because of a lack of suitable funds. We need to do better. A key element of this strategic plan is to raise external funds to make a significant dent in aggregate student debt. After all, Northwestern Law must be a place which welcomes and educates top quality students regardless of financial condition and circumstance. Student debt impacts student learning, career choice, and post-graduate well-being. We are committed to assuaging these serious impacts with constructive financial aid efforts.

If we are successful, the aggregate debt of our graduates will diminish substantially over time and our position on this particular statistic will move to the bottom quartile of the cohort of top law schools. Moreover, we are committed to taking measures that will influence other top law schools, as well as law schools generally, to take similar steps to reduce the cost of legal education writ-large.


Oh yes! All of this just brightened my day...


Hopefully it's not all smoke and mirrors and they actually WILL be showing us the money, but only time can tell! Lol

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby guynourmin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

brinicolec wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
Keilz wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
Keilz wrote:Anyone else working on the scholarship application essays right now because it's due tomorrow? lol

Yup :|
Really struggled with what to write in this first one but I think I'm almost done finally.


I've been getting home from work at like 8 (TLS isn't helping either) so it's gonna be a late night.

Does anyone know how much of an impact these essays have?


I just think they want to know how likely you are to attend and how much to incentivize you. I sure hope we hear back soon.


I don't think we'll hear back for at least 3 weeks. As close to the end of the month as they can manage, likely.



Idk. The FAQ says early-March, not late-March.


I don't know what the FAQ has said in previous years, but all with a 3/1 deadline the last three years were 3/25/16, 3/27/15, 3/20/14, so I am guessing late march.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:19 am

Me every time I check NU's site and see they still haven't posted more info about ASW:
Image

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:13 pm

So excited that Northwestern is doing well in basketball this season. Love March Madness!!!

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:21 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Did I fuck up the CSS profile or did they really not ask for any 2016 W-2/tax info?

Nope, it didn't ask for any of mine either!

I am really not feeling confident about this! lol. I just logged back in and looked at it and it only asks for 2015 income and expected resources available during the 2017-2018 school year. So weird. Although, maybe good for me!


LOL wait yeah...it asked for 2015!


What do you guys mean by "ask for"?
Would financial office request extra info like the tax return forms? I just submitted my app yesterday and got a confirmation email. Nothing else.
Thank you.

User avatar
votebuilder1

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby votebuilder1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:24 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:So excited that Northwestern is doing well in basketball this season. Love March Madness!!!


+1 - What a year to start caring about NU basketball...

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:28 pm

2000andBeyond wrote:So excited that Northwestern is doing well in basketball this season. Love March Madness!!!


I honestly haven't been paying attention to their conference. My alma mater is in the ACC so that's primarily what I watch.

I do love me some college basketball though so I hope they keep it up! Lol

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:29 pm

hellohalo wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:Did I fuck up the CSS profile or did they really not ask for any 2016 W-2/tax info?

Nope, it didn't ask for any of mine either!

I am really not feeling confident about this! lol. I just logged back in and looked at it and it only asks for 2015 income and expected resources available during the 2017-2018 school year. So weird. Although, maybe good for me!


LOL wait yeah...it asked for 2015!


What do you guys mean by "ask for"?
Would financial office request extra info like the tax return forms? I just submitted my app yesterday and got a confirmation email. Nothing else.
Thank you.


We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:50 pm

brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:53 pm

hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


Because you only applied for the merit aid...

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:04 pm

brinicolec wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


Because you only applied for the merit aid...


Really?! I think that's a combination of merit and need. I'm international. That's why I didn't apply for the loan.

RedPurpleBlue

Bronze
Posts: 480
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:23 pm

brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:So excited that Northwestern is doing well in basketball this season. Love March Madness!!!


I honestly haven't been paying attention to their conference. My alma mater is in the ACC so that's primarily what I watch.

I do love me some college basketball though so I hope they keep it up! Lol


We should. If we can hold on to Coach Collins, I think our program could turn into a consistent middle to top of the Big Ten team. Construction starts on Welsh-Ryan Arena after this season ($110+ million project I think), so that will be a huge incentive to keep him (plus someone donated to endow his coaching position this year). We are also getting clubhouse for the basketball players that was announced a month ago, so that should increase our recruiting profile. In the meantime, games will be held at the United Center, so that will be really convenient for us, if we choose to attend NU Law. I've had a blast going to the games as an undergrad. Too bad I had to miss yesterdays game for work (got to watch it on the TV though). I picked up three Daily Northwestern's on my way to class today, because I wanted to make sure I had at least one good condition one to frame in the future (front page is a cool picture of the win with "Madness" in big letters on top).

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby guynourmin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:34 pm

hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


I think CSS is not static, so not everyone gets asked the same questions, but for me, at least, it had very specific tax-related questions like, what does like 47a on your 2015 tax return say. All I was saying was I only had 2015-related questions, and nothing about 2016.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:40 pm

hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


Because you only applied for the merit aid...


Really?! I think that's a combination of merit and need. I'm international. That's why I didn't apply for the loan.



Wait, hold on. I was reading this on my phone and in the car (bad combo. Idk why, but I get like "sea sick" smh lol). You DID fill out CSS? It's possible that because you're international, they didn't ask for it. Either way, if it didn't ask for it, I wouldn't worry.

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:43 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
2000andBeyond wrote:So excited that Northwestern is doing well in basketball this season. Love March Madness!!!


I honestly haven't been paying attention to their conference. My alma mater is in the ACC so that's primarily what I watch.

I do love me some college basketball though so I hope they keep it up! Lol


We should. If we can hold on to Coach Collins, I think our program could turn into a consistent middle to top of the Big Ten team. Construction starts on Welsh-Ryan Arena after this season ($110+ million project I think), so that will be a huge incentive to keep him (plus someone donated to endow his coaching position this year). We are also getting clubhouse for the basketball players that was announced a month ago, so that should increase our recruiting profile. In the meantime, games will be held at the United Center, so that will be really convenient for us, if we choose to attend NU Law. I've had a blast going to the games as an undergrad. Too bad I had to miss yesterdays game for work (got to watch it on the TV though). I picked up three Daily Northwestern's on my way to class today, because I wanted to make sure I had at least one good condition one to frame in the future (front page is a cool picture of the win with "Madness" in big letters on top).


I went to a basketball school so they had ALL the amenities and when I read "we're getting a clubhouse" I was like, "Wait, that's not just.. a thing for people?!" but that's awesome. College basketball doesn't bring in as much as football, but it's definitely a way to get ppl buying the school clothing and everything lol.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:56 pm

guybourdin wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


I think CSS is not static, so not everyone gets asked the same questions, but for me, at least, it had very specific tax-related questions like, what does like 47a on your 2015 tax return say. All I was saying was I only had 2015-related questions, and nothing about 2016.


I see. Actually I have specific questions in my CSS on income or tax like 5a... too. I wasn't asked to send them the tax files.
Did you send (email/fax) any tax returns? Thank you.

User avatar
hellohalo

Silver
Posts: 516
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby hellohalo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 pm

brinicolec wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


Because you only applied for the merit aid...


Really?! I think that's a combination of merit and need. I'm international. That's why I didn't apply for the loan.


Wait, hold on. I was reading this on my phone and in the car (bad combo. Idk why, but I get like "sea sick" smh lol). You DID fill out CSS? It's possible that because you're international, they didn't ask for it. Either way, if it didn't ask for it, I wouldn't worry.


Thank you! Yea I wouldn't worry too much. Or I would just email the office like "hey do you want my tax return forms?"

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:03 pm

hellohalo wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
brinicolec wrote:We're talking about the FAFSA & CSS profile, which you have to fill out if you want to be considered for need-based loans/grants.


Yes. I only apply for scholarship. So I submitted the app form and CSS. But I didn't come across any request of tax form.


I think CSS is not static, so not everyone gets asked the same questions, but for me, at least, it had very specific tax-related questions like, what does like 47a on your 2015 tax return say. All I was saying was I only had 2015-related questions, and nothing about 2016.


I see. Actually I have specific questions in my CSS on income or tax like 5a... too. I wasn't asked to send them the tax files.
Did you send (email/fax) any tax returns? Thank you.



No. You don't have to actually send them your tax returns

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3426
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby guynourmin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:17 pm

hellohalo wrote:Did you send (email/fax) any tax returns? Thank you.


The original question I asked/you responded to was "did they really not ask for any 2016 W-2/tax info". You do not need to send them your tax returns, no.

dclaw93

Bronze
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 9:44 am

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby dclaw93 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:03 pm

FYI, NU just posted details about ASW here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... itweekend/

User avatar
brinicolec

Gold
Posts: 4480
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby brinicolec » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 pm

dclaw93 wrote:FYI, NU just posted details about ASW here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... itweekend/



Here's the link to the tentative schedule for Diversity Day + ASW if anyone is curious: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... le2017.pdf

Also, the forms to register + to request a travel stipend are up!

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:08 am

brinicolec wrote:
dclaw93 wrote:FYI, NU just posted details about ASW here: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... itweekend/



Here's the link to the tentative schedule for Diversity Day + ASW if anyone is curious: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... le2017.pdf

Also, the forms to register + to request a travel stipend are up!


OMG! This looks like so much fun. I'm soooo jealous of y'all :( :cry:

2000andBeyond

Silver
Posts: 604
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Pritzker - Class of 2020

Postby 2000andBeyond » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Is anyone going to the alumni dinner in Washington DC on March 15?



Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests