Harvard Law School - Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are you gonna live?

On-Campus HLS housing
34%
Off-Campus Harvard University Housing
13%
Central Sq.
No votes
Davis Sq./Somerville
8%
Harvard Sq.
26%
Inman Sq.
3%
Kendall Sq.
No votes
Porter Sq.
8%
Other
8%

Total votes: 62

bloomsday

Bronze

Post by bloomsday » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 am

Last edited by bloomsday on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Re: Harvard Law School - Class of 2020

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:29 am

Party at my new spot in Beacon. i'll give out details to a few people at ASW.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

R. Jeeves wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:Y'all--TLS meetup at Border Cafe this weekend, y/y?
y/y/y. Super in. I get in late friday night! Ready to toast
Same! Would Saturday, Sunday (post-John Harvard's Brew House), or Monday night work best?
any of the above! for me
That would be fantastic! Any of those days work for me.
Wooo three's enough for me! Let's do Saturday so we can know somebody the next day. 8:30 pm at Border Cafe?
I'll try to come thru if stuff from diversity day isn't still going on.
Yaaaaas squad coming together! We could do 9 since I don't know how late things will go? I'm going to the Lambda diversity day stuff.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

taxman14 wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

they already offered a lil chunk of change but it would be really sweet if they doubled (or, preferably, quadrupled) it.
great q - i'm getting my aid supposedly sometime this week and was wondering the same. I thought HLS was v generous overall in terms of aid?
granted, HLS is totally need-based, but they've offered me half of what every other school has offered. given the fact that their COA is astronomical and Harvard as an institution has an insane endowment, I'd be hesitant to call their aid generous. idk about how they are relative to Yale & Stanny, gonna wait to see what Yale offers, given that they are my other need-based only option.

my main issue is that H thinks my parents can pay a not-insignificant amount of money per year, despite me conveying to them that i have been financially independent for years and that my parents can not afford to pay anything.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:40 am

R. Jeeves wrote:Just got my book yesterday. "The Future of Violence: robots and germs, hackers and drones". The cover is red and has a robot spider on it. Pretty cool.
That's sick. The book variety is really neat!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am

drjekyllope wrote:
taxman14 wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:does anyone have any wisdom on asking Harvard for more money? will they only budge in response to a better offer from Yale? is it worth it to just write and say "hi, your algorithm is wack, help me i'm poor"?

they already offered a lil chunk of change but it would be really sweet if they doubled (or, preferably, quadrupled) it.
great q - i'm getting my aid supposedly sometime this week and was wondering the same. I thought HLS was v generous overall in terms of aid?
granted, HLS is totally need-based, but they've offered me half of what every other school has offered. given the fact that their COA is astronomical and Harvard as an institution has an insane endowment, I'd be hesitant to call their aid generous. idk about how they are relative to Yale & Stanny, gonna wait to see what Yale offers, given that they are my other need-based only option.

my main issue is that H thinks my parents can pay a not-insignificant amount of money per year, despite me conveying to them that i have been financially independent for years and that my parents can not afford to pay anything.
Ya, I got more money at Yale than Harvard. The difference for first year will not be that significant between both schools, but it will be for the second and third year, as Harvard said they gave me a large part of my aid because my brother is still in undergrad. Yale told me my aid would stay the same even if my brother graduates. Also, the difference between parental contribution was huge, favoring Yale, whereas the difference in my contribution was also huge, favoring Harvard.

drjekyllope

New

Post by drjekyllope » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:49 am

TAD wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Ya, I got more money at Yale than Harvard. The difference for first year will not be that significant between both schools, but it will be for the second and third year, as Harvard said they gave me a large part of my aid because my brother is still in undergrad. Yale told me my aid would stay the same even if my brother graduates. Also, the difference between parental contribution was huge, favoring Yale, whereas the difference in my contribution was also huge, favoring Harvard.
have you tried negotiating Yale's $ against Harvard's?

taxman14

Silver

Post by taxman14 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

drjekyllope wrote:
TAD wrote:
drjekyllope wrote:
taxman14 wrote:

Surprised S's aid doesn't help w H given S is ranked higher.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm

drjekyllope wrote:
Nah, not yet. I might at ASW. But really, the only thing I can negotiate is the whole aid being contingent on my brother being in school, and their COA being higher than Yale, cause dollar for dollar, there is only a couple hundred dollar difference in aid for the first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HonestlyThough

Bronze

Post by HonestlyThough » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Same! Would Saturday, Sunday (post-John Harvard's Brew House), or Monday night work best?
any of the above! for me
Wooo three's enough for me! Let's do Saturday so we can know somebody the next day. 8:30 pm at Border Cafe?
Works for me! agree to loiter awkwardly near the door until we can identify each other?

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
eileengrey wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
any of the above! for me
Works for me! agree to loiter awkwardly near the door until we can identify each other?
I'll have my handle written on my forehead, so just gather around me :lol:

eileengrey

New

Post by eileengrey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Works for me! agree to loiter awkwardly near the door until we can identify each other?[/quote]
I'll have my handle written on my forehead, so just gather around me :lol:[/quote]

What? No rose stuck in a book? Way to subvert the trope! :D I'll be there!

gilmoregirlrevival

New

Post by gilmoregirlrevival » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:28 am

Last edited by gilmoregirlrevival on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Got my book today, "The World According to Star Wars." So unbelievably on point. You've truly stolen my heart now, Harvard.

seeprybyrun

Bronze

Post by seeprybyrun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:26 pm

KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Have a margarita in my honor, y'all. Maybe I'll get off the WL and be able to join in person one day :P

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 am

Last edited by Lalalsat96 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:28 am

Pozzo wrote:Got my book today, "The World According to Star Wars." So unbelievably on point. You've truly stolen my heart now, Harvard.
Wow. We may need to trade books for a bit next year--that sounds right up my alley.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KateMcKitten

Bronze

Post by KateMcKitten » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:29 am

seeprybyrun wrote:
KateMcKitten wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:
Have a margarita in my honor, y'all. Maybe I'll get off the WL and be able to join in person one day :P
Will do. Rootin' for ya, boo.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:18 am

KateMcKitten wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Got my book today, "The World According to Star Wars." So unbelievably on point. You've truly stolen my heart now, Harvard.
Wow. We may need to trade books for a bit next year--that sounds right up my alley.
Sounds like a plan!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:19 am

Hope y'all have a great time at ASW. Bummed I won't be there with you, but I can't wait to hear all about it!

twochipmunks

New

Post by twochipmunks » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am

Lalalsat96 wrote:Hey i was hoping you guys who are attending HLS full price but were offered a decent scholarship at a lower school could explain why you chose to attend HLS over a great school for nearly free or free - this decision had been incredibly hard for me (i don't qualify for grants)
I'm not in this exact situation, but similar. Best scholly offer was half tuition at another T10, and if I had attended there my circumstances would be different (parental support, SO income, etc.) so that I would be virtually debt free to attend. But, I've decided to enroll at HLS with very minimal grants and won't be receiving nearly the amount of parental support that SFS says they figured my parents could contribute. (The amount was laughable - more than half of my parents' after-tax income; and they're not millionaires). The biggest factor in my decision was LIPP. I'm nearly certain I won't be going into BigLaw, so I'm basically planning to be living on LIPP for possibly the full 10 years. I determined that the student contribution expectation for LIPP was acceptable for my lifestyle, so the massive amount of debt I'm about to take on has much less significance. I realized that LIPP is arguably better than a full tuition scholly at another school in some situations since LIPP will cover tuition+living expenses. So, I determined that attending HLS and going into state government was the best value offer I've received.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sisyphus9

New

Post by Sisyphus9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:57 am

Mine was a little bit of a misfire, and tbh I'm feeling pretty misunderstood.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Sisyphus9 wrote:
Oh no! :shock:

Sisyphus9

New

Post by Sisyphus9 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Pozzo wrote:
Sisyphus9 wrote:
Oh no! :shock:
Withdrawing asap

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Last edited by Lalalsat96 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”