Georgetown Law Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)
dc_diva

New

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2020

Post by dc_diva » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 am

It came down to the wire but I just negotiated a scholarship and accepted!! See you all in DC!

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Is anyone deciding between Curriculums yet? I'm leaning toward A out of sheer laziness, is that wrong?

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:49 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=262951

This thread suggests that Section 3 (Curriculum B) is filled with PI types.

dc_diva

New

Post by dc_diva » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:42 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:Is anyone deciding between Curriculums yet? I'm leaning toward A out of sheer laziness, is that wrong?
I've heard a lot of positives to both A and B, so ultimately I wouldn't stress too much. I think there's obviously an element of self selection where more die-hard PI people go into B. However, I don't think it's necessary to do if you're PI and I also don't think it rules out Big Law if you're doing B. Yes, a lot of B students don't go the firm route but I think that's because a lot of them don't want to. In talking with multiple 3Ls from B I've also heard that those that did want Big Law (and were in a decent position grade wise) didn't have trouble. As long as you can speak effectively as to why you chose that route and how it both prepared you as well as a traditional course and also gives you a unique perspective I think you'll be fine.

I've heard from people in B that they're super close-knit and I've heard from people in A that they're a little weird but also smart and interesting. I don't think you can really go wrong as long as you have a genuine interest in the concepts B focuses on.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Mon May 01, 2017 2:17 pm

It looks like the selection form is up on the admitted students website, if you're ready to choose! I'm still kind of torn, I am definitely a PI type, and would love the close-knit community, but I'm also drawn to the typical structure an A section would provide. Also it looks like you don't get the usual first year elective options if you go with B, is that right?

The form says you have to select a Curriculum by June 7.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

govlife wrote:It looks like the selection form is up on the admitted students website, if you're ready to choose! I'm still kind of torn, I am definitely a PI type, and would love the close-knit community, but I'm also drawn to the typical structure an A section would provide. Also it looks like you don't get the usual first year elective options if you go with B, is that right?

I am definitely the PI type but there are very few things I would do extra work for so I'm choosing curriculum A. It doesn't appear that you get an elective with B but arent they all have elective like properties with b.

hoya17

New

Post by hoya17 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:31 pm

Hey 1Ls-to-be. I'm a 3L about to graduate. I was really motivated to minimize my expenses and borrowing, and this worked out really well for me, so sharing for anyone else interested.

I rented a host, and I host airbnb in a guest room in the house. Overall, I'm out *zero* for rent and utilities, after the money from my airbnb guests and my other permanent roommates. In short, I've been doing this since the start of my 3L year, and the airbnb has been more money, more fun, but also, more work than I expected.

It's a nice house near H St NE, close to campus. There are no local condo/HOA rules, and the landlord is cool with it.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 pm

us3rnam3 wrote:
govlife wrote:It looks like the selection form is up on the admitted students website, if you're ready to choose! I'm still kind of torn, I am definitely a PI type, and would love the close-knit community, but I'm also drawn to the typical structure an A section would provide. Also it looks like you don't get the usual first year elective options if you go with B, is that right?

I am definitely the PI type but there are very few things I would do extra work for so I'm choosing curriculum A. It doesn't appear that you get an elective with B but arent they all have elective like properties with b.
I totally feel you on extra work. On top of that, it seems like the Curriculum B class called Government Processes lines up some with Administrative Law, but I'm pretty sure I would still need to take Administrative Law as a prereq/co-req for some of the upper level courses I'm interested in. In Curriculum A, I would maybe be able to take it as my first year elective.

govlife

Bronze

Post by govlife » Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm

hoya17 wrote:Hey 1Ls-to-be. I'm a 3L about to graduate. I was really motivated to minimize my expenses and borrowing, and this worked out really well for me, so sharing for anyone else interested.

I rented a host, and I host airbnb in a guest room in the house. Overall, I'm out *zero* for rent and utilities, after the money from my airbnb guests and my other permanent roommates. In short, I've been doing this since the start of my 3L year, and the airbnb has been more money, more fun, but also, more work than I expected.

It's a nice house near H St NE, close to campus. There are no local condo/HOA rules, and the landlord is cool with it.
Thanks for this! I have a family, but there's no way we could afford to rent a house on our own so we've considered doing something similar, but maybe putting the basement on airbnb. About how much were you able to make per month for a room? We wouldn't need it to cover the rent, just offset about 1/3. And how much of a time commitment per week?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

us3rnam3

Bronze

Post by us3rnam3 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 pm

hoya17 wrote:Hey 1Ls-to-be. I'm a 3L about to graduate. I was really motivated to minimize my expenses and borrowing, and this worked out really well for me, so sharing for anyone else interested.

I thought about this but I'm just not a people person i don't think i could do it. Did you have a lot of interaction with your guests?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 12:17 pm

Tiffany, if you are here, please identify yourself!!!!

calpolisci2016

Bronze

Post by calpolisci2016 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Tiffany trump lol

thatlawlkid

Gold

Post by thatlawlkid » Mon May 08, 2017 12:33 pm

amta wrote:Tiffany, if you are here, please identify yourself!!!!
PW required.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nimbus cloud

Silver

Post by nimbus cloud » Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Does Trump University accept transfer credits from Georgetown?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

posted this elsewhere, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA enjoy never being a t13 again GTTTTTown

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 pm

CNN wrote:A spokesperson for Georgetown Law declined comment, and several of her fellow incoming students contacted by CNN were not aware of their new classmate.
Were any of you contacted? :shock:

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon May 08, 2017 1:31 pm

have fun w tiffany everyone

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 1:51 pm

GULC class of 2020 is going to do so much winning! they are gonna be so tired of winning by the time they are 3Ls. make GULC t14 again.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Seriously though, think about incoming students who might be LBGT+, immigrants, african americans, international, etc and how uncomfortable the environment at GT is about to become. Actually sucks that this came out after the deposit deadlines because I am willing to bet at least a few students will be actively searching for other opportunities than support an institution that is supporting the greatest democratic threat in generations with respect to her father

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 1:58 pm

grades?? wrote:Seriously though, think about incoming students who might be LBGT+, immigrants, african americans, international, etc and how uncomfortable the environment at GT is about to become. Actually sucks that this came out after the deposit deadlines because I am willing to bet at least a few students will be actively searching for other opportunities than support an institution that is supporting the greatest democratic threat in generations with respect to her father
this post made you sound really dumb.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:02 pm

grades?? wrote:Seriously though, think about incoming students who might be LBGT+, immigrants, african americans, international, etc and how uncomfortable the environment at GT is about to become. Actually sucks that this came out after the deposit deadlines because I am willing to bet at least a few students will be actively searching for other opportunities than support an institution that is supporting the greatest democratic threat in generations with respect to her father
If they don't have thick enough skin to be in the same room as tiffany trump, how will they have thick enough skin to advocate for their clients against far greater threats than someone related to they dont like?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 2:06 pm

charles117 wrote:
If they don't have thick enough skin to be in the same room as tiffany trump, how will they have thick enough skin to advocate for their clients against far greater threats than someone related to they dont like?
additionally, grades is assuming that tiffany trump holds the same beliefs as her father, because a woman is incapable of forming beliefs that diverge from her father's. #thankspatriarchy. also assuming she will have the worst beliefs out of anyone in a 500+ student class is just laughable.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon May 08, 2017 2:08 pm

amta wrote:
charles117 wrote:
additionally, grades is assuming that tiffany trump holds the same beliefs as her father, because a woman is incapable of forming beliefs that diverge from her father's. #thankspatriarchy. also assuming she will have the worst beliefs out of anyone in a 500+ student class is just laughable.

Well she hasn't spoken out against her father, she hasn't condemned any of his actions, and she continues to receive financial support from him. She can have all the views she wants, but we hold Ivanka to a standard of being complicit because she doesn't speak out against her father, and I am applying the same standard to another daughter. Sure she doesn't work for the administration but silence can equal complicity.

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

grades?? wrote:
amta wrote:
charles117 wrote:
Well she hasn't spoken out against her father, she hasn't condemned any of his actions, and she continues to receive financial support from him. She can have all the views she wants, but we hold Ivanka to a standard of being complicit because she doesn't speak out against her father, and I am applying the same standard to another daughter. Sure she doesn't work for the administration but silence can equal complicity.
still, lol @ the idea that her presence her will do anything to affect the culture of this place

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 pm

grades?? wrote: Well she hasn't spoken out against her father, she hasn't condemned any of his actions, and she continues to receive financial support from him. She can have all the views she wants, but we hold Ivanka to a standard of being complicit because she doesn't speak out against her father, and I am applying the same standard to another daughter. Sure she doesn't work for the administration but silence can equal complicity.
we are still very deep in equivocation territory here. please retake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”