Emory Class of 2020 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living now that you're committed?

Campus Crossing
No votes
Gables (Daddy is paying)
20%
Highland Lake
No votes
Private home/apartment
20%
None of your damn business
60%

Total votes: 5

S.Picquery

Silver

Emory Class of 2020

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:29 am

Welcome all to Emory Law!

Hit me up with any ideas for the OP, thanks.

Admitted Students Facebook Group
Admitted Students Website
Virtual Campus Tour
Visit Emory Law
Off-Campus Housing

Admitted Students Weekend
April 7 - 8

ASW Registration Deadline
April 3

First Seat Deposit
$250
Due April 17

Contact JD Admissions
jdadmission@emory.edu

Phone: 404.727.6802
Fax: 404.727.2477

Last edited by S.Picquery on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 6 times in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Post by floatie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:40 am

PUPPY!!!!!

Also, is anyone looking for a roommate?
Last edited by floatie on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:24 am

areyn22 wrote:
woodselle wrote:
Do either of you two know if there is on-campus housing at the Clairmont Campus/how to apply? Thanks in advance!

woodselle

New

Post by woodselle » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:52 am

S.Picquery wrote:
areyn22 wrote:
woodselle wrote:
Do either of you two know if there is on-campus housing at the Clairmont Campus/how to apply? Thanks in advance!
There's no grad housing available on campus at Emory. I do know a few students who lived as fraternity/sorority graduate assistants in campus housing. They seemed to enjoy their jobs, not much of a time commitment and they got to live on campus.

That being said, there are a few reasonable housing options either within walking distance or near a shuttle route. Popular options are Campus Crossings, Gables at Emory Point, Post Briarcliff, Clairmont Reserve, Highland Lake, and Highland Square. There's also a list of sublets/houses routinely updated here: https://offcampushousing.emory.edu

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm

floatie wrote:Also, is anyone looking for a roommate?
Do you already have a place or are you just putting feelers out?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
floatie wrote:Also, is anyone looking for a roommate?
Do you already have a place or are you just putting feelers out?
Feelers for now. I'm hoping to check out apartments while I'm on campus for ASD.

jza1994

Bronze

Post by jza1994 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Checking in.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Checking in!

Are all ASW events scheduled for sat mandatory? I want to drink Friday night, but that 8 am start says no.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:46 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Checking in!

Are all ASW events scheduled for sat mandatory? I want to drink Friday night, but that 8 am start says no.
They are not mandatory. And tbh, the early stuff is likely just going to be the hard sell. If I wasn't meeting a friend for coffee at/during registration, I would probably sleep in as well. Also, where are you thinking of going out? I miss Slice and Pint soooo much, and think that's definitely going to be a start to my Friday night.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:56 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:Checking in!

They are not mandatory. And tbh, the early stuff is likely just going to be the hard sell. If I wasn't meeting a friend for coffee at/during registration, I would probably sleep in as well. Also, where are you thinking of going out? I miss Slice and Pint soooo much, and think that's definitely going to be a start to my Friday night.
Downtown Decatur for sure. If I'm too full from the dinner, probably Brick Store then Iberian for drunchies if time allows. My only complaint about Atl, if you're not going to the club your night ends pretty damn early (barring house parties) unless you want to end up at WaHo or IHOP.

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:59 pm

I figured y'all would have a better idea of this than I could; are there any 1L SA's in Atlanta? I know Birmingham has a decent amount, but I'm not sure if that extends throughout the south.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:50 pm

SweetTort wrote:I figured y'all would have a better idea of this than I could; are there any 1L SA's in Atlanta? I know Birmingham has a decent amount, but I'm not sure if that extends throughout the south.
As much as the current students following this thread may know about 1L SAs, I feel like posing that question in one of the following threads would give you more of a (better) response:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=156536

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... it=atlanta

Even though the second one isn't exactly the topic you're talking about, you may find specific people to ask. :) Good luck!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:55 pm

S.Picquery wrote:
SweetTort wrote:I figured y'all would have a better idea of this than I could; are there any 1L SA's in Atlanta? I know Birmingham has a decent amount, but I'm not sure if that extends throughout the south.
As much as the current students following this thread may know about 1L SAs, I feel like posing that question in one of the following threads would give you more of a (better) response:

Even though the second one isn't exactly the topic you're talking about, you may find specific people to ask. :) Good luck!
Thanks, fam! Haha, sorry, I'm totally flying blind-- don't even know a lawyer in real life.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm

SweetTort wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:

Thanks, fam! Haha, sorry, I'm totally flying blind-- don't even know a lawyer in real life.
It's cool, bro. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, too. The SA thing I can only show you the #s I have from research (hint: UVA places very well in Atl BL, and SAs as long as you show ties/commitment to the area.)

Not that Emory doesn't place well in Atl, folks! Just, TLS c/o 2020 knows Sweettort has one true love in Cville.

charles117

Bronze

Post by charles117 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:43 am

Hi Guys, I might pop over for admitted students day. :D

kriegsinnervoice

New

Post by kriegsinnervoice » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:14 am

(Emory 1L here) As of now, I've seen about 3 or 4 firms doing spring OCI for 1L SAs in Atlanta but the vast majority of 1L firm positions in ATL are gonna be through diversity opportunities.

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm

kriegsinnervoice wrote:
(Emory 1L here) As of now, I've seen about 3 or 4 firms doing spring OCI for 1L SAs in Atlanta but the vast majority of 1L firm positions in ATL are gonna be through diversity opportunities.
I can guess what this means, but could you elaborate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kriegsinnervoice

New

Post by kriegsinnervoice » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:11 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
kriegsinnervoice wrote:
I can guess what this means, but could you elaborate?
Yeah so although the vast majority of firms don't hire 1L SAs, the ones that do usually fill their 1L SA positions through a program like the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity or a state/local bar diversity initiative. But there have been 3-4 Atlanta firms that are hiring 1L SAs through spring OCI directly and they are not diversity opportunities, just general SA hires.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:46 pm

If anyone else got that e-mail from a current student talking about life at Emory, and didn't know what some of the things meant in the email I asked about the 1L Houses, and the Recess they talk about. From the student:
Recess is our weekly jump-start to the weekend. There are not many, if any, classes on Friday, and almost all Thursday classes have wrapped up by the time Recess starts. It is hosted by SBA (with a co-sponsor each week). There is food, music, games, and drinks... also a keg. It is just a way to start the weekend off with a blast.
The Houses are a type of social sorting. Students are divided up by their 1L writing course, and each house has a 2L and a 3L house coordinator. It's a great way to get to know upperclassmen, and even fellow 1Ls that aren’t in any of your classes.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:53 am

Anyone tried to negotiate their scholly yet?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:30 am

brinicolec wrote:Anyone tried to negotiate their scholly yet?
Not just yet. Waiting for ASW, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone. Is there any reason you're waiting? (Feel free to PM)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:48 am

S.Picquery wrote:
Not just yet. Waiting for ASW, but I wouldn't recommend that for everyone. Is there any reason you're waiting? (Feel free to PM)
I heard on here that Emory doesn't negotiate. Is that not true?

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:21 am

floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
I have also heard that, but what's the harm in trying?

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:27 am

S.Picquery wrote:
floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
True - good luck! I'm probably not going to try negotiating since so far, no peer school has matched what Emory offered me.

Dreadhead168

New

Post by Dreadhead168 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 pm

floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
floatie wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:
True - good luck! I'm probably not going to try negotiating since so far, no peer school has matched what Emory offered me.
FWIW, an old co-worker of mine successfully negotiated a higher scholarship with Emory a few years ago (2014-15 cycle). Not sure if there has been a policy change since then, but it's definitely worth a try.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”