Emory Class of 2020

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2020)

Where are y'all living now that you're committed?

Campus Crossing
0
No votes
Gables (Daddy is paying)
1
33%
Highland Lake
0
No votes
Private home/apartment
1
33%
None of your damn business
1
33%
 
Total votes: 3

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby S.Picquery » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:21 pm

For those of you heading to ASW, are y'all staying for more than just the preview day itself?

User avatar
BarMan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby BarMan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:36 am

S.Picquery wrote:For those of you heading to ASW, are y'all staying for more than just the preview day itself?


I'll be in Atlanta from Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you guys who are going! Hit me up if y'all wanna grab drinks!

DrSpaceman11
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby DrSpaceman11 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Really considering Emory. Anyone from the area have insight on the housing situation? If at all possible I would like to live within walking distance of the Law School, but from what I have seen it doesn't seem like it exists. Any help? Wouldn't mind roommates, looking to stay around 1k/month for rent

User avatar
woodselle
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:16 am

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby woodselle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:39 pm

DrSpaceman11 wrote:Really considering Emory. Anyone from the area have insight on the housing situation? If at all possible I would like to live within walking distance of the Law School, but from what I have seen it doesn't seem like it exists. Any help? Wouldn't mind roommates, looking to stay around 1k/month for rent


The closest option for walking is Emory Point and that will be north of $1k/month. There are some houses for rent around the law school, but you'd have to look around for that (and may not be any house options until this summer). I do know people who've lived at Highland Square and walked, those would be under $1k/month with roommates. A bunch of apartment complexes are on Emory Cliff shuttle routes, which are free shuttles to campus (like Campus Crossings, Post Briarcliff, etc.). Campus Crossings and Post Briarcliff are around or under $1k/month, and there are many other reasonable options nearby in Druid Hills or Decatur.

-Emory 2L

Phyllis Stein
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby Phyllis Stein » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am

Checking in!

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby floatie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 am

BarMan wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:For those of you heading to ASW, are y'all staying for more than just the preview day itself?


I'll be in Atlanta from Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you guys who are going! Hit me up if y'all wanna grab drinks!


I'm staying through Sunday as well :)

paytonalexandra
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby paytonalexandra » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Toured this past weekend and committed yesterday :D

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby floatie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:12 pm

paytonalexandra wrote:Toured this past weekend and committed yesterday :D


Congrats!

User avatar
BarMan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby BarMan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:15 pm

floatie wrote:
BarMan wrote:
S.Picquery wrote:For those of you heading to ASW, are y'all staying for more than just the preview day itself?


I'll be in Atlanta from Thursday afternoon through Sunday afternoon.

Looking forward to meeting you guys who are going! Hit me up if y'all wanna grab drinks!


I'm staying through Sunday as well :)


Awesome! Should be fun!

paytonalexandra
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby paytonalexandra » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:13 pm

If I already visited and committed is it still worth it for me to make my way down for ASW?

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby S.Picquery » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:55 pm

paytonalexandra wrote:If I already visited and committed is it still worth it for me to make my way down for ASW?

I mean, if the cost is minimal, it should just be a big party.How do you like parties?

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby pleasesendhelp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:07 pm

Im looking forward to the new employment numbers set to come out soon.

Should we be optimistic and hope to see an increase from 26% to 30% for big law? Im thinking yes. I doubt theyd so enthusiastically email the student body about the new employment numbers if it was any worse than before.

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby S.Picquery » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:Im looking forward to the new employment numbers set to come out soon.

Should we be optimistic and hope to see an increase from 26% to 30% for big law? Im thinking yes. I doubt theyd so enthusiastically email the student body about the new employment numbers if it was any worse than before.


*awkwardly eyes the judicial clerkship numbers hoping for a miracle*
I'd assume given what we know thus far, that yes. BL is either holding or increasing.

User avatar
pleasesendhelp
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby pleasesendhelp » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:51 pm

Just got the new Employment class of 2015 stats in the mail

Just got the new Employment class of 2015 stats in the mail

Full-time bar admission required
254 (82%)

Full-time JD preferred
38 (12%)

Law Firm
158 (53%)

Government
61 (20%)

Business/Industry
27 (9%)

Public Interest
19 (6%)

Judicial Clerkship
18 (6%)

Education
15 (5%)

Firm Size
500+
53 (34%)
$150,000

251-500
15 (9%)
$135,0

101-250
12 (8%)
$110,000

51-100
4 (3%)
N/a

26-50
9 (6%)
$90,000

11-25
14 (9%)
$72,000

2-10
49 (31%)
$65,000

1
1 (1%)
N/a

Business/Industry
$80,00

Education
N/a

Judicial Clerkship
$60,000

Government
$60,085

Public Interest
$48,000


S.Picquery wrote:
*awkwardly eyes the judicial clerkship numbers hoping for a miracle*
I'd assume given what we know thus far, that yes. BL is either holding or increasing.


Numbers went up!

User avatar
S.Picquery
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby S.Picquery » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:48 am

That's awesome! Good to know. Just gotta keep going to ASWs for now. :)

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby floatie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:54 am

I'm on my way back from ASW and holy shit, I didn't expect to love Emory as much as I did. Students and faculty were great, the campus was beautiful, and I was blown away by the opportunities they have in my particular area of interest. This just became a very difficult choice for me!

User avatar
tartelettejf
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby tartelettejf » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:15 pm

floatie wrote:I'm on my way back from ASW and holy shit, I didn't expect to love Emory as much as I did. Students and faculty were great, the campus was beautiful, and I was blown away by the opportunities they have in my particular area of interest. This just became a very difficult choice for me!


This is great! I'm glad to hear that. Do you mind sharing more details? I already made my first deposit, but wasn't able to attend the ASW (I'm international - AJD). Thanks! :)

User avatar
confused_0L
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby confused_0L » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 pm

floatie wrote:I'm on my way back from ASW and holy shit, I didn't expect to love Emory as much as I did. Students and faculty were great, the campus was beautiful, and I was blown away by the opportunities they have in my particular area of interest. This just became a very difficult choice for me!


I also walked away thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed the atmosphere inside the law school building and every student I talked to seemed genuinely proud to be there. I also seriously underestimated how many externship opportunities there are in and around Atlanta. Just like in sports, the city of Atlanta is criminally underrated - I think it's finally starting to get the attention it deserves.

Phyllis Stein
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby Phyllis Stein » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am

Let's have a moment of silence for all the Woodruff Finalists still waiting to hear back this week hahaha. Met a bunch of them at ASD this weekend, and y'all seemed lovely. That committee has a rough decision ahead.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby floatie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:52 am

After a lot of going back and forth...I put my deposit down!!!! I'm so excited to be a [insert Emory's mascot here] this Fall :D

Phyllis Stein
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:39 am

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby Phyllis Stein » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:53 pm

floatie wrote:After a lot of going back and forth...I put my deposit down!!!! I'm so excited to be a [insert Emory's mascot here] this Fall :D

Eagles, lol. But let's be real, Dooley is the real mascot

User avatar
LandMermaid
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby LandMermaid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Current 1L, happy to answer any questions about housing or Atlanta or whatever. Glad y'all enjoyed ASW! We had fun too.

User avatar
floatie
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby floatie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:20 pm

LandMermaid wrote:Current 1L, happy to answer any questions about housing or Atlanta or whatever. Glad y'all enjoyed ASW! We had fun too.


Hey, thanks for doing this! So I've started looking around for housing, and all of the apartments complexes around Emory seem to have really mediocre to bad ratings. Are any of them worth looking into? What are some other places we should check out?

User avatar
BarMan
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:41 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby BarMan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 pm

floatie wrote:After a lot of going back and forth...I put my deposit down!!!! I'm so excited to be a [insert Emory's mascot here] this Fall :D


Same! ASW put it over the top for me--- they did a hell of a job.

User avatar
LandMermaid
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Emory Class of 2020

Postby LandMermaid » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:41 pm

floatie wrote:
LandMermaid wrote:Current 1L, happy to answer any questions about housing or Atlanta or whatever. Glad y'all enjoyed ASW! We had fun too.


Hey, thanks for doing this! So I've started looking around for housing, and all of the apartments complexes around Emory seem to have really mediocre to bad ratings. Are any of them worth looking into? What are some other places we should check out?


No problem! People are pretty spread out so depending on how far away you want to live, what you're willing to pay, whether you're trying to have bus access, etc. you'll have different options. Some of ones that are most popular for law students and are within a couple miles of the LS that people seem to currently like are the Gables properties (Emory Point and Rocksprings), Post Briarcliff (lots of law students here), Clairmont Reserve, Highland Square, and Highland Lake. A fair few live in complexes in Decatur and Atlanta proper as well.


Return to “TLS Class of 2020 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests